Screwed?

Old February 25th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Screwed?

I have a Mazda Miata 1995 that is missing a set of screws that goes on
the top of the windshield and holds the bracket that the top clamps
down on. It is a set of screws with a star in the center of each screw
and the dealership is unable to find it. What can I do? Anyone out
there have a Miata they ain't using?

Old February 26th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

you could also try a local salvage yard. They might make you buy both clamps
but I wouldn't think they would be that expensive from a salvage.

Good luck,
Chris
99bbb

oups.com...

Old February 26th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"mdginzo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a Mazda Miata 1995 that is missing a set of screws that goes on
> the top of the windshield and holds the bracket that the top clamps
> down on. It is a set of screws with a star in the center of each screw
> and the dealership is unable to find it. What can I do? Anyone out
> there have a Miata they ain't using?

Why not just measure the width and depth of the bore and go buy some from a
screw store?

Old February 26th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Call Trussville Mazda.
(I've ordered the screws from them before, and had no problems in getting
them.)

. ..

Old February 26th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

screw store? I don't know what country you live in but anything that could
have been called a screw store around here has been 'wall-marted' out of
business long ago. I don't think you're going to find that screw at Wall
Mart.

Chris
99BBB

. ..

Old February 26th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> screw store? I don't know what country you live in but anything that could
> have been called a screw store around here has been 'wall-marted' out of
> business long ago. I don't think you're going to find that screw at Wall
> Mart.

We call them "fastener suppliers" in the UK - surely there are some in
the US? Usually small operations on industrial estates.
Old February 26th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

ya, there are some but few and far between to be sure. I think Chucks
suggestion of Trussville isn't a bad one if you've got the time to wait.

Chris
99BBB

Old February 26th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I picked up two replacements screws(bolts) from Autozone here locally. They
have a Phillips head screw slot but the threads are the same.
Tom in Tucson, Arizona, USA.

Old February 26th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Hardware store screws may be better or worse than the factory screws. Has to
do with hardness. The factory screws used on hardtop latches are a bit soft.
When the threads get nasty, due to thread lock used by the factory, The
screw heads will start to strip. (Don't Ask!)

Old February 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chuck" > wrote:

>Hardware store screws may be better or worse than the factory screws. Has to
>do with hardness. The factory screws used on hardtop latches are a bit soft.
>When the threads get nasty, due to thread lock used by the factory, The
>screw heads will start to strip. (Don't Ask!)

I thought the entire idea of those "torx" heads is to be able to apply
more torque? So what is the idea of putting them on soft steel screws?
Just to thoroughly annoy everyone who has to buy torx bits/drivers?

Leon

>"Cat in the Hat" > wrote in message
>> I picked up two replacements screws(bolts) from Autozone here locally.

>They
>> have a Phillips head screw slot but the threads are the same.
>> Tom in Tucson, Arizona, USA.
>>
>> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> > ya, there are some but few and far between to be sure. I think Chucks
>> > suggestion of Trussville isn't a bad one if you've got the time to wait.
>> >
>> > Chris
>> > 99BBB
>> >
>> > "Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message

>'wall-marted'

>screw

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

American workers not cosseted, overpaid. They are getting SCREWED. Bret Ludwig Chrysler 8 February 5th 06 05:22 PM
Bought used A4 without key tag--am I screwed? [email protected] Audi 3 December 11th 05 04:31 PM
I am so screwed.. typeIII to type 2 case conversion.. ubergoober VW air cooled 4 August 2nd 05 03:29 AM
Is my car screwed? Dee Honda 19 March 18th 05 03:05 AM
My Bug was squished! Help me to avoid getting screwed! Al Gilson VW air cooled 7 October 15th 04 03:15 AM