They don't learn

Old January 18th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default They don't learn

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:
>In article >, Jim Yanik wrote:
>> (Brent P) wrote in
>> :

>>> Did the exit ramps vanish?

>> They are few and far betweeen.

>Maybe out west...

Pretty much anywhere I've heard of this kind of accident, the ramps
are few and far between.

>> If one is available,sure,but they usually are not close by.

>Then there shouldn't be much traffic either

Not so. Consider I-81 through the Blue Ridge mountains. Lots of
heavy traffic, fairly infrequent exits, definite possibility of heavy fog.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old January 18th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P wrote:
> In article .com>, Harry K wrote:
>
> > I don't follow that. There are a lot more expensive and complicated
> > items in the front end than in the rear.

> Lots of bolt on cosmetic parts mostly.
>
> > Radiators, engines, steering etc.

> If it gets that far the car is totaled unless it's aproximately a week
> old. By the time the suspension and engine are in play to be damaged, the
> car is probably geting into 5 digits to repair. The radiator means it's
> the core support, which is probably easier to fix than the taillamp panel
> simply because of accessibility alone.
>
> > Not much in the rear except sheet metal and the rear wheel
> > supports (in front drive cars).

> Other than the trunk lid, the sheet metal in the rear is structural.
>
> The 1/4 panels and the sheetmetal behind them are part of the car's
> structure (exceptions for body/frame designs etc) The panels are also
> welded in and difficult to repair. These parts also don't have much of
> anything protecting them. Just the bumper.
>
> On the front end however, there is the bumper. The fenders are bolted on.
> There are the lights have fore-aft space while in back the taillamp panel
> isn't usually structured so that it is entirely behind the back plane of
> the lamps. There is some space between the grill and the radiator
> support. It is a good deal deeper into the car before welded on and
> structural panels are geting bent.
>
> Replacing a fender with a new one is no big deal. Straightening out a
> crushed 1/4 panel on the other hand is a big deal. When the 1/4 panel is
> damaged, the structure of the car can be thrown out of wack. When a
> fender is damaged, the bolted connections give a bit and the damage
> isn't transfered as easily.

Thanks. I was looking at it as a heavy smash vice a fender bender.
Didn't consider what that type of damage would be.

Harry K

Old January 18th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2006 19:19:44 -0800, "Harry K" >
> wrote:
>
> >I was a good driver
> >not too long ago (or at least thought I was) but age has crept up on
> >me. I am now a -careful- driver as I realize that I no longer have the
> >reflexes to handle emergencies thus do all I can to stay out of them.

> First, let me compliment you on your uncommon wisdom. Far too many
> aging drivers take the ability to drive for granted, and remain on the
> roads well past their expiration dates because they are in complete
> denial regarding their deteriorating motor skills and visual acuity.
>
> If I may respectfully ask, At what point do you plan to hang up your
> car keys?

Paul Newman's answer (questioned about how long he will continue to
compete in Trans Am/GT1 racing, at his current age of 81): "When I'm an
embarrassment out there."
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; scared to drive *that*)

Old January 19th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2006 14:09:39 -0800, "Motorhead Lawyer" >
> wrote:
>
> >> If I may respectfully ask, At what point do you plan to hang up your
> >> car keys?

> >Paul Newman's answer (questioned about how long he will continue to
> >compete in Trans Am/GT1 racing, at his current age of 81): "When I'm an
> >embarrassment out there."

> I wonder how he plans to quantify "embarrassment..."

I dunno; but as a race driver, he's displayed as much grace as he has
as an actor - which I think is a lot. The guy can still climb into
cars that would intimidate me and drive them competitively. I hope
he's never embarrassed.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; haven't driven that)