idle stumble 96 4.0 explorer

Old October 15th 05, 10:10 AM
:\

Default idle stumble 96 4.0 explorer

My explorer doesnt have a nice steady idle. I have replaced
plugs,Iac,air filter,egr valve,egr pressure sensor,cleaned the maf. I
am thinking wires now. Could wires cause this? It will accelerate
perfectly slowly and quickly. Accelerating it feels like new but at
idle its just smooth it stumbles. I can see the (5speed) shifter moving
with the unsteadiness. Thanks!Chris

Old October 15th 05, 11:13 PM
ross via CarKB.com

wrote:
>My explorer doesnt have a nice steady idle. I have replaced
>plugs,Iac,air filter,egr valve,egr pressure sensor,cleaned the maf. I
>am thinking wires now. Could wires cause this? It will accelerate
>perfectly slowly and quickly. Accelerating it feels like new but at
>idle its just smooth it stumbles. I can see the (5speed) shifter moving
>with the unsteadiness. Thanks!Chris

I do not think wires are the problem.

I would put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it says.before I threw more
money at it. You may have an intake gasket leak. Not uncommon on early 4.0's.

The vacuum gauge should give you a steady high reading.

Old October 16th 05, 05:11 AM
Rocky Duke

Thank You for the help! I think you are right. I bought wires and no
luck. Bought a coilpack and no luck. Leaned over the driver side
fender and reved up the engine and heard what sounded like a vacuum leak
under the black thing on top of the engine where it says 4.0 (Is this
the intake?) I dont see any hoses under the tubes for then intake only
see the injectors? How do I check for a vacuum leak? THanks

Old October 16th 05, 06:44 PM
johanb

on the pass side rear behind that black thing is your pvc valve and hoses
that are going to it.
had it replaced lately??? there a bitch getting them back in the hose and
properly secure them.
most people just put them back in the hose and forget to secure them what
results in popping back out

rmv the plastic cover and look if all the hoses are properly connected

Old October 16th 05, 07:30 PM
:\

Hello Johan. I will check it out. I acutally cleaned the pcv valve
about 2 weeks ago and did put it back in its round little hole. Is this
what you meant or?? I will look at it tonight. Thanks...