Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers...

Old March 20th 05, 04:08 AM
Essb

Default Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers...

Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers when gas prices creep up to $3 a
gallon....tee hee hheeeee heeee haaaa haaaaaa!
Sorry....blllrrrpp...heee hee haaa!

Old March 20th 05, 04:37 AM

Those of us who own real utility vehicles own them for their safety and
ability to move large things, including more people than you can stuff into
a Geo Metro. We don't really care what kind of mileage they get. If we
did, we wouldn't own them. Given that the average Suburban will last 2 or 3
times as long as a subcompact, and cost substantially less to maintain and
repair over its life, the cost is just about even per mile, even at $3/gal.

A few examples:
100,000 miles on a set of brakes, then just replace the pads. Try that with
a Cavalier.
$30 for a water pump and 45 minutes to install it. Or, $900 on a Cavalier
80,000 miles on a set of tires.
20 minutes to change 8 spark plugs. Several hours and much lost blood on
the average minivan to change 6.
250,000 mile engine life if the oil is changed religiously. Yeah, I know
there's someone out there with 300,000 miles on their Honda, but MOST of
them don't last that long. Pretty much ALL truck engines last much longer
than little car engines.

Given the amount energy consumed of pollution produced in the PRODUCTION of
a new vehicle, the SUVs don't actually pollute much more than compacts
because they last twice as long.

I will personally continue to drive my 12-year-old Suburban, even at over $3
a gallon, with a smile on my face, which you won't be able to see because
your rear-view mirror shows only my bumper.

Oh, and before you start the middle-east oil dependency lecture, my 2002
Tahoe burns E-85 (thats 85% Ethanol), so it runs on American corn and only
burns gasoline at the equivalent of 126 MPG.

Hope you don't get crushed by a real vehicle.
Old March 20th 05, 09:54 AM
Rooney

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:08:32 -0500, "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote:

>Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers when gas prices creep up to $3 a
>gallon....tee hee hheeeee heeee haaaa haaaaaa!
>Sorry....blllrrrpp...heee hee haaa!

'Up' to $3? That would be less than half what we pay here in the UK,
while still grinning in our SUVs!

Old March 20th 05, 10:31 AM
HarryS

Well that is like ****ing in a fan.

--
HarryS My 2¢

Old March 20th 05, 11:45 AM
bowgus

Never heard that one before HarryS ... "like ****ing into a fan" ... good
one! What's with these bozo's that don't see the big picture? Oh yeah ... I
remember ... the word is troll.

Old March 20th 05, 12:10 PM
Richie

tee hee hheeeee heeee haaaa haaaaaa blllrrrpp...heee hee haaa... I can't
wait to hit you with my SUV's (2) 1 heaver than the other (4800lbs,5200lbs)
and watch you, maybe I say maybe crawling from the wreckage..tee hee

Old March 20th 05, 12:56 PM
The Adams Family

of ethanol. I am not sure how many gallons they can get from a bushel of
corn, but on my farm, I raise about 195 bushel average per acre and burn 4
gallons of diesel per acre to get it. I am sure they get several gallons per
bushel, so when you look at it there is no comparison. 4 gallons diesel =
several hundred ethanol.

Old March 20th 05, 01:58 PM
Peter D. Hipson

Actually the technical term is "troll". <g> But I do like yours!

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 05:31:24 -0500, "HarryS"

Old March 20th 05, 03:56 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"The Adams Family" > wrote:

> of ethanol. I am not sure how many gallons they can get from a bushel of
> corn, but on my farm, I raise about 195 bushel average per acre and burn 4
> gallons of diesel per acre to get it. I am sure they get several gallons per
> bushel, so when you look at it there is no comparison. 4 gallons diesel =
> several hundred ethanol.

You're right, there is no comparison.
From the Oregon department of Energy:

The cost of producing ethanol varies with the cost of the
feedstock used and the scale of production. Approximately 85
percent of ethanol production capacity in the United States
relies on corn feedstock. The cost of producing ethanol from corn
is estimated to be about $1.10 per gallon. Although there is
currently no commercial production of ethanol from cellulosic
feedstocks such as agricultural wastes, grasses and wood, the
estimated production cost using these feedstocks is $1.15 to
$1.43 per gallon.

Because a gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of
gasoline, the production cost of ethanol must be multiplied by a
factor of 1.5 to make an energy-cost comparison with gasoline.
This means that if ethanol costs $1.10 per gallon to produce,
then the effective cost per gallon to equal the energy contained
in a gallon of gasoline is $1.65. In contrast, the current
wholesale price of gasoline is about 90 cents per gallon.

The federal motor fuel excise tax on gasohol, a blended fuel of
10-percent ethanol and 90-percent gasoline, is 5.4 cents less per
gallon than the tax on straight gasoline. In other words, the
federal subsidy is 54 cents per gallon of ethanol when the
ethanol is blended with gasoline. The subsidy makes
ethanol-blended fuel competitive in the marketplace and
stimulates the growth of an ethanol production and distribution
infrastructure.

Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM
cooling site tim VW air cooled 13 January 27th 05 04:33 AM
Wed Night N2003 league looking for drivers [email protected] Simulators 0 November 30th 04 02:46 AM
Truck Drivers Needed Trucking Recruiter 4x4 0 April 14th 04 01:33 PM