new 'stang - Italian transmissions?

Old November 30th 04, 11:51 PM
yahoo xxxchangeit

Default new 'stang - Italian transmissions?

where have I been.....when did this start?

the '05 'stangs I've been drooling on have "County of Origin"
stickers......County of Origin is Italy for the automatic trans - both
6s and GTs.

WTF? has this been going on for a while? is it a Ford unit (what the
heck does FoMoCo built in Italy) or an outsourced unit?

Italy? ITALY?

JC

Old December 1st 04, 01:26 AM
Backyard Mechanic

yahoo xxxchangeit opined in news:3857-41AD0789-527@storefull-
3258.bay.webtv.net:

> where have I been.....when did this start?
>
> the '05 'stangs I've been drooling on have "County of Origin"
> stickers......County of Origin is Italy for the automatic trans - both
> 6s and GTs.
>
> WTF? has this been going on for a while? is it a Ford unit (what the
> heck does FoMoCo built in Italy) or an outsourced unit?
>
> Italy? ITALY?
>
> JC

So?

Aint like it's France... or Spain.

Old December 1st 04, 05:17 AM
yahoo xxxchangeit

"ain't like it's France......"

you've got that right.

just that I don't think of Italian cars being known for automatic
transmissions. I had a big Alfa once that had a ZF 5-speed. But I
would think that few Italian cars would have automatics (as we know
them in domestic cars, as opposed to self-shifting manuals in new
exotics).

will have to check the labels on other Ford rear-drivers
(Vic-Marquis-Town Car-LS-TBird) and see where those trans are made.

Old December 1st 04, 01:59 PM
Larry Hepinstall

If the transmissions come from Italy, it's from a Ford plant in Italy. Ford
is big in Europe and around the World. If not already, it won't be long
before parts are sourced from China and 3rd World countries. In a cost
based World, parts will come from where they can be made cheapest.

LJH
95GT

Old December 1st 04, 09:35 PM
winze

> > WTF? has this been going on for a while? is it a Ford unit (what the
> > heck does FoMoCo built in Italy) or an outsourced unit?
> >
> > Italy? ITALY?
> >
> > JC

The 1996 Cobra was the first Mustang to use the 4.6-liter, double
overhead cam, four-valve V8. The engine was heavily modified from the
Lincoln version.

The Cobra's aluminum block and heads were cast by Teksid, an Italian
company that also casts components for Ferrari road and Formula One
cars as well as other high-performance cars. Cast in Carmagnola,
Italy, the Block uses cast-in ribbing for structural strength and to
lessen vibrations. The cylinder bores have iron liners, and the
engine's bottom end has been enhanced with a "deep skirt" meaning the
bottom edge of the block extends well below the crankshaft's
centerline, which also allows for a superior mating surface with the
transmission.

The crankshaft was forged by Gerlach-Werke in Homburg/Saar, Germany,
and was then machined and balanced at Ford's Windsor, Ontario, Canada
engine plant.
Old December 1st 04, 11:18 PM
Stuart&Janet

Well the timing belts for the old 2.3's are from Italy so what's the big deal? Car parts
are made all over the place, is this new or something?

StuK

Old December 2nd 04, 04:23 AM
Paul

at 01 Dec 2004, ] wrote in
:

> This may be OT - but I went on a test drive in a new Freestyle. The
> automatic in that car-truck-thing doesn't shift! It constantly
> adjusts the gear ratio - it was astounding. I was in the back seat.
> I wish I was driving.They call it a CVT - Continously Variable
> Transmission.
>
> I wonder if it will be reliable?

It oughta be. been around for decades. It's based on the van Doorne
Automobiel Fabrieken (DAF) 'Variomatic' used in the DAF brand cars.
DAF cars got taken over by Volvo/Mitsubishi about 10 years back which
explains how Ford got hold of it. They actually offer it in Europe for
at least the last 5 years in their smaller cars. DAF trucks is now
owned by Paccar, also known for it's Kenworth and Freightliner brands.
Anybody see the new line of freightliner panel vans? Those are based
on a line DAF makes. :-)

The old variomatic used rubber belts which needed replacement
regularly as they tended to stretch. The CVT uses a metal kind of
belt/chain design which is far more durable/reliable. I don't know if
the CVT does it, but the old variomatic used to be able to go as fast
in reverse as it did in forward. Which is why in Holland they have/had
races with people driving their DAF cars in reverse on the racetrack.
Quite popular as well.

How do I know? DAF's factory is in the town I used to live in. For
those who want to see what the cars looked like, they have the classic
model and some others on http://www.dafmuseum.nl/

--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America