74 VW Beetle Standard...engine question?

Old May 23rd 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LordPacal

Default 74 VW Beetle Standard...engine question?

Greetings all.
I have just purchased a 74 VW Beetle(Standard) with 37K miles on with
$4200. worth of mechanincal work invoices for past 4 years and only
adding 600 miles during same period(lady driver disliked standard tranny
and noisy ride-winter stored).Rubber use looks like low mileage...trying
to figure out the engine type. Label on engine states:
Engine code AH-A, 97cid,timing 7,5 BTDC-RPM 875 +/-75 idle, oil temp
122-155.
Is it a type 1 or 2, or is it a new engine???
Other codes:Electrical-BN2, 201391,27074,Benzin12 volt, 2000, B5-311,261103
Door frame: Card 207
Any ideas ? Still needs moderate body work and new paint job....
Much appreciated,
LordPacal
Old May 23rd 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

LordPacal wrote:

> Greetings all.
> I have just purchased a 74 VW Beetle(Standard) with 37K miles on with
> $4200. worth of mechanincal work invoices for past 4 years and only
> adding 600 miles during same period(lady driver disliked standard tranny
> and noisy ride-winter stored).Rubber use looks like low mileage...trying
> to figure out the engine type. Label on engine states:
> Engine code AH-A, 97cid,timing 7,5 BTDC-RPM 875 +/-75 idle, oil temp
> 122-155.
> Is it a type 1 or 2, or is it a new engine???
> Other codes:Electrical-BN2, 201391,27074,Benzin12 volt, 2000, B5-311,261103
> Door frame: Card 207
> Any ideas ? Still needs moderate body work and new paint job....
> Much appreciated,
> LordPacal

AH is the engine code. That is the stock engine for '74 Type 1.
You can find the complete engine # stamped below the oil stand.

BN2 is a gasoline heater, located under the hood.
This was an optional accessory.
Worth weight in gold today.
Made by Eberspacher.
Some info he
http://web.telia.com/~u11107929/html/heating.htm

There is also a gas heater section on my web site.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.