Nearly inoperable window

Old May 22nd 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
JM[_3_]

Default Nearly inoperable window

I replaced the inner/outer scrapers and felt channel on the driver's
door of my 1969 standard Beetle. The inner scraper was a cheap
nightmare on which the clips broke if you looked at them wrong.
Almost as cheap were the $1.75 felt channel clips. I'm glad I bought
twice as many as I needed. I put everything back together, and now
the window is so hard to operate that I fear breaking the regulator
(already broke my new crank). I've already tried shifting the window
around, and it raises as straight as it ever will. The felt channel
was off-spec (wider than original), but I don't think that's the
reason, as I widened it as much as I could with plastic putty knife.
Maybe the new rubber on the scrapers is creating a problem. I was
ready to leave the inner scraper out totally. Any suggestions besides
the usual silicone spray? I've searched this group and not found a
problem quite like mine.

Old May 23rd 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Years ago i replaced the window scrapers and I do remember that they wanted
to "grab" the window as it went down. They wanted to roll under as the
window went down. something about the new rubber. The window went down
easier it the car was real dusty. I suppose the dust on the scrapers made
the rubber less "sticky". I even tried to use just a little baby powder,
seemed to help a little. but if it gets wet, well, then well you'd have to
clean and re-apply. After a while the window worked fine.

--
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
ups.com...

Old May 23rd 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Is that the design with a "spiral" coil in a channel?. As you tyurn the
handle the spiral coil rotates in the channel. It almost certainly needs
regreasing or oiling.
John

Old May 24th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

This is a common problem when you change the scrapers and felt channels.

If the window binds when you lower it only (it sticks on the new rubber of
the scrappers) then this is normal for new rubber.
You have to dust the inner and outer surface of the window with plenty of
talcum powder and roll the window up and down several times so that talcum
is trapped in the scrapers' inside grooves.
In time, the rubber will wear-in and the problem will go away.
Baby powder doesn't always contain talcum powder. Read the label first.
Talcum is not good when inhaled, so it gets used less often on baby powders
nowadays.

If you have the problem when you raise the window, then it is a problem with
window alignment or tight felt channels. Loosen the window mounting screws
on the regulator and work the window up and down to settle it in a better
position. Then tighten the screws again. New felt channels could be a bit
tight, and they will settle in over a short time.
You can use talcum powder on them too. Washing the windows often will help
things settle down sooner. You may need to re-apply talcum after the wash
for the first couple of times.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 bug.

ups.com...

Window Mike chambers Jeep 3 November 6th 06 12:24 AM
Position of window crank when window is up? Nick Hughes Jeep 12 August 12th 06 05:41 AM
Inoperable winch b-c-robert Jeep 3 June 19th 05 11:43 AM
GM 3.1 Engine Cooling Fans inoperable gobroncos Technology 11 January 18th 05 10:43 PM
cant get window up innoxius Dodge 10 November 4th 04 12:55 AM