1986 Volvo Speedo quit working.

Old February 20th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

Default 1986 Volvo Speedo quit working.

Since my Astro is still down, waiting for me to pull the intake
manifold, I've purchased an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon 2.3L to get me by
in the interim.

One of the many things I would like to fix on this car is the speedo.
All functions (speedo, odo, trip) are not working. I pulled the
instrument cluster to find that there is no mechanical spinning cable
attached to the rear of this speedo. It must get an electronic signal
from somewhere instead.

Anyone run into this sort of problem in a similar vehicle? Do you have
any suggestions on troubleshooting, places to start perhaps?

TIA

--
TomO
Old February 21st 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:27:54 -0700, TomO >
wrote:

>Since my Astro is still down, waiting for me to pull the intake
>manifold, I've purchased an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon 2.3L to get me by
>in the interim.
>
>One of the many things I would like to fix on this car is the speedo.
>All functions (speedo, odo, trip) are not working. I pulled the
>instrument cluster to find that there is no mechanical spinning cable
>attached to the rear of this speedo. It must get an electronic signal
>from somewhere instead.
>
>Anyone run into this sort of problem in a similar vehicle? Do you have
>any suggestions on troubleshooting, places to start perhaps?

http://www.overseasspeedometer.com/

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old February 21st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:19:38 -0600, Don wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:27:54 -0700, TomO >
> wrote:

>>Anyone run into this sort of problem in a similar vehicle? Do you have
>>any suggestions on troubleshooting, places to start perhaps?

> http://www.overseasspeedometer.com/
>
> Don
> www.donsautomotive.com

Thanks Don.
A quick browse of their website led me to believe that they can repair it
for me but are not terribly interested in providing troubleshooting hints
and tips. I guess if all else fails, I could just have someone else fix it
for me, but where's the fun in that?

--
TomO
Old February 21st 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Donald Lewis

On 21 Feb 2007 04:05:02 GMT, "TomO" > wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:19:38 -0600, Don wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:27:54 -0700, TomO >
>> wrote:

>>>Anyone run into this sort of problem in a similar vehicle? Do you have
>>>any suggestions on troubleshooting, places to start perhaps?

>> http://www.overseasspeedometer.com/
>>
>> Don
>> www.donsautomotive.com
>>

>Thanks Don.
>A quick browse of their website led me to believe that they can repair it
>for me but are not terribly interested in providing troubleshooting hints
>and tips.

Won't hurt to ask. I am in Austin and have been to his shop (actually
his kitchen and adjoining room). I found him extremely knowledgeable,
friendly and helpful. You will need to put some kind of meter or
scope on the signal lead to verify if the head unit is bad. IT will
not be easy to get parts to repair the head unit if that's what you
were referring to. First, of course, you will have to verify that the
head unit is indeed bad.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old February 21st 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

TomO wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:23:45 +0000, ajtessier wrote:
>
>> My dive buddy owns a shop that specializes in Volvo repairs and he also has
>> a huge inventory of Volvo used parts. His email address is
>> , send him your question and tell him NHdiver of
>> Bottoms Up Divers gave you his name. He has a huge customer base with mostly
>> older, high mileage Volvo's, I know he has addressed this problem before.
>>
>> Al
>> Bottoms Up Divers
>>

> Thanks Al.
> I may have to do just that.
> More research has taught me that the speed sensor / signal generator is
> located in the rear differential on this vehicle. A quick check after work
> today showed that the wiring appears to be intact at the 'punkin' and I
> followed it up to the first sonnection point slightly forward of the left
> rear tail light. At least I now know that I'm chasing a grn/wht - brn pair.
>
> Maybe the VolvoDoctor will know what sort of signal or voltage I should be
> able to read with either a scope or a meter on the lines. That would be
> quite helpful in determining if I have a problem at the source or in the
> speedo itself.

I used to find the Volvo Haynes manual was a pretty good one for giving
all those kind of readings. Their 240 books were right on.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
Old February 21st 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

Mike Romain wrote:
> TomO wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:23:45 +0000, ajtessier wrote:
>>
>>> My dive buddy owns a shop that specializes in Volvo repairs and he
>>> also has a huge inventory of Volvo used parts. His email address is
>>> , send him your question and tell him NHdiver
>>> of Bottoms Up Divers gave you his name. He has a huge customer base
>>> with mostly older, high mileage Volvo's, I know he has addressed this
>>> problem before.
>>>
>>> Al
>>> Bottoms Up Divers
>>>

>> Thanks Al.
>> I may have to do just that.
>> More research has taught me that the speed sensor / signal generator is
>> located in the rear differential on this vehicle. A quick check after
>> work
>> today showed that the wiring appears to be intact at the 'punkin' and I
>> followed it up to the first sonnection point slightly forward of the left
>> rear tail light. At least I now know that I'm chasing a grn/wht - brn
>> pair.
>>
>> Maybe the VolvoDoctor will know what sort of signal or voltage I
>> should be
>> able to read with either a scope or a meter on the lines. That would be
>> quite helpful in determining if I have a problem at the source or in the
>> speedo itself.
>>

> I used to find the Volvo Haynes manual was a pretty good one for giving
> all those kind of readings. Their 240 books were right on.

I'll give the hatnes manual a go then. I was at the FLAPS yesterday, but
they did not have the one I needed for this car. I'll be sure and check
elsewhere.

--
TomO