Freeze 12 in Chevy Blazer

Old May 27th 04, 04:51 AM
Barry S.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:49:36 -0400, "Refinish King"
> wrote:

>Hey Doc!
>These guys don't know anything about wholesale, and still frequent the
>dealers and the corner parts store. Now about we sell them a seminar on how
>to make money and save the customer half on the part. While still making
>money!
>
>Ciao!
>
>Refinish King

I'm still kind of amazed everytime I get something from ... my
favorite wholesale supplier, where the invoice lists the "list" price,
and then "my" price. My price is usually around 50% (or less) of list
price...

The only problem is most wholesale places require you to have some
sort of account. Not a problem if you work at a shop, but DIYers may
have a little trouble getting that.

... On the topic of Freeze 12.. Don't use it. If you ever have to have
the unit serviced, it'll have to be evacuated to a "contaminated
refrigerant" unit instead of a regular R-12 or R-134 machine. And
you'll be charged accordingly.

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4
Old May 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Steve

Diamond Jim wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>Diamond Jim wrote:
>>

>>>To change to Freeze 12 you have to vacumn your system to remove all the

> r12,
>
>>>then add 3 ozs of oil, (preferablely ester) before you add the Freeze

> 12.
>
>>Oh? Why a magic "3 ounces?" What if the system still has a full charge
>>of mineral oil- you'll be over-full. What if it has lost all its mineral
>>oil for some reason? You'll be running dry.
>>
>>"Formula" retrofits like that are a quick way to disaster. Any retrofit
>>should begin with "disassemble and FLUSH they system...." and end with
>>"fill with the factory specified quantity of oil...." of whichever type
>>is most compatible with the chosen refrigerant.
>>

> Because you are going to loose just about three ounces when you drain and
> vacumn your system. THAT'S WHY!

Depends on the system. Some systems don't lose any oil during a normal
evacuation.

> Even if you add some extra oil it is not
> going to cause a disaster.

Tell that to the guy who follows your advice and winds up with a
compressor locked solid because it got slugged with oil.

> If it doesn't have any oil in the system then it doesn't have any freon in
> the system either. Q.E.D

How many systems have you REALLY opened up? One or two? Here's a very
common scenario that I've seen myself: system has a slow leak at a low
point in the system, so that it loses both oil and refrigerant. Over a
period of years, the owner takes it in and the leak can't be found, so
the system is topped off. Eventually, all the oil is gone but its still
got enough refrigerant to work, until the compressor finally locks up,
and the owner now decides to do a retrofit. If he follows your "formula"
he'll wind up with 3 ounces of oil where he should have much more. Some
systems hold 9-10 ounces.

> Why don't you go bother somebody else, with all your crap. All you want to
> do is snipe, post a real e-mail address if you are serious, and stand behind
> your post. Otherwise your just a troll, looking to cause trouble.

I don't like a mailbox full of spam. I've been posting on
rec.autos.tech, under the same name and E-mail address for over 10
years.I've always tried to give realistic advice, even if I do enjoy a
little bit of import-bashing now and then. If that's not good enough,
so be it. No skin off my nose.

Old May 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Steve

Old May 28th 04, 05:54 AM
Refinish King

Agreed!

That would require a third reclaimer, unless you're using a two refrigerant
reclaimer, in which case. You'll need a second.

I can't stress enough the need for a good refrigerant identifier now days,
with all the rouge **** on the market. One bad car, and you have a tank of a
thousand or more hazardous waste, whether there's 2 lbs or 30 lbs in it.

Refinish King

Old May 28th 04, 05:54 AM
Refinish King