90 Jetta Carat Drivers Door Handle

Old November 30th 10, 08:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
IRv

Default 90 Jetta Carat Drivers Door Handle

Hi, Well it was an icy morning and me and the wife we're yanking on the
doors of the Carat. It seems I've partially yanked the unit away from
the door. It's the end with the lock. From my memory of playing with
these things, there's only 2 screws. Maybie if I take the inner door
apart. My bently manual doesn't get very detailed about this...

Les
Old December 1st 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Irv > wrote:

>Hi, Well it was an icy morning and me and the wife we're yanking on the
>doors of the Carat. It seems I've partially yanked the unit away from
>the door. It's the end with the lock. From my memory of playing with
>these things, there's only 2 screws. Maybie if I take the inner door
>apart. My bently manual doesn't get very detailed about this...

A2-chassis Golf has 2 screws holding the outside handle on the door,
one from the edge of the door and another screw under the clip-in
insert at the front of the handle.

If the lock-end has come adrift, then the screw may have been lost
or just very loose.

Perhaps panel corrosion?? It's an M6 screw. 15mm IIIRC. I found
some stainless socket-head cap-screws and machine washers to fit the
handles to my car.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
X against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \ and postings | --HL Mencken
Old December 1st 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Irv > wrote:

>Hi, Well it was an icy morning and me and the wife we're yanking on the
>doors of the Carat. It seems I've partially yanked the unit away from
>the door. It's the end with the lock. From my memory of playing with
>these things, there's only 2 screws. Maybie if I take the inner door
>apart. My bently manual doesn't get very detailed about this...

Door handle is held on with two screws. Pop off the trim
strip on the handle with a small screwdriver. One screw is under it.
The other screw is on the back side of the door. Open the door and
you'll see the screw.

Todd
Old December 2nd 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
IRv

OK I got a good look at it, I broke it, metal fatigue.
Only answer is a new handle with keys and all from ebay,
price $18.

Les
Old December 2nd 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Irv > wrote:

>OK I got a good look at it, I broke it, metal fatigue.
>Only answer is a new handle with keys and all from ebay,
>price $18.

You can use the old lock cylinders in the new handles.

If the old cylinder aren't shiny enough at the front, you can swap
the lock plates from the old lock cylinders into the new to keep the
same old keys. Takes about half anhour to do both locks if you take
your time; or 2 hours if you hurry. ;-)
Old December 3rd 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Bernd Felsche > wrote:

>You can use the old lock cylinders in the new handles.

If you reuse the lock cylinder, note that you want to insert
the old key in the old lock first. That keeps the "lock plates" in
their retracted position and prevents them from flying all over the
place when you remove the cylinder.
Once the key is in, remove the screw on the end of the lock
cylinder and transfer the cylinder to the new handle. Make sure to
get the funky round spring and the forked piece in the correct
position (note their positions before disassembling).

Todd
Old December 5th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
IRv

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Once you've gone as far as extracting the lock cylinders, it's not
> a big deal to match the locks to the original keys.
>
> I've discovered that I'd already preserved a copy of my article for
> "posterity" in my www-trove at
> http://Bernd.Felsche.org/tech/Swap_Lock_Tumblers

Thanks, it's saved here as well, and I enjoyed your site as well.

Les