aftermarket radio prob

Old October 10th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
02civic

Default aftermarket radio prob

bought a pioneer headunit for my car and had a couple friends of mine
handle installing it.theyve done this for me in the past and i havent
had a prob...but this time the headunit will not recieve anything but
static for AM. Fm cd and all its other features i use work fine; just
the am is all static. manufacturers warranty is void if its installed
by "your buddies" it seems. anyone have any troubleshooting tips....

Old October 11th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Joe Brophy

On 10 Oct 2006 12:16:25 -0700, "02civic" > wrote:

>bought a pioneer headunit for my car and had a couple friends of mine
>handle installing it.theyve done this for me in the past and i havent
>had a prob...but this time the headunit will not recieve anything but
>static for AM. Fm cd and all its other features i use work fine; just
>the am is all static. manufacturers warranty is void if its installed
>by "your buddies" it seems. anyone have any troubleshooting tips....

Could be that the AM tuner isn't getting a connection to the antenna. Does the
unit have separate am and fm antennas? If there is a common antenna between AM
and FM maybe there is a bad/broken connection inside the unit where the antenna
separates and goes to each tuner, should be very close to where the antenna plug
enters the unit. If there is individual, separate plugs for AM and FM I would
suspect the antenna/cable assembly before the unit. If it is possible to
operate the unit out of the car, sometimes it is possible to pick up stations
even without a antenna if you live in an area with some strong signal stations,
inside the car without an antenna it is almost impossible to receive anything
but static. This might help prove it to be the antenna or not. good luck, Joe.