In a rare decision, top court tosses out DWI conviction

Old November 13th 05, 11:46 PM
Old Wolf

Default In a rare decision, top court tosses out DWI conviction

Brent P wrote:

> In article >, BE wrote:
>> Motorist refused to take a breath test after avoiding a roadblock in 2003
>>
>> http://hort.net/+132H
>>
>> The case stems from a July 2003 traffic stop in Atlantic County in which a
>> Ventnor police officer pulled over motorist James Badessa because he made a
>> legal turn to avoid a driving-while-intoxicated checkpoint. The officer
>> arrested Badessa for allegedly driving drunk and charged him with refusing
>> to take a Breathalyzer test.
>>

> All this guy did was not go through the checkpoint.
> A small victory for liberty.

Isn't it illegal to refuse to take a breathalyser test when a cop asks
you to? In my area, you must either take the breathalyser, or go
back to the precinct and take a blood test.

Old November 14th 05, 01:02 AM
Larry Bud

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:13:59 -0500, "BE" > wrote:
>
> >Motorist refused to take a breath test after avoiding a roadblock in 2003
> >
> > http://hort.net/+132H
> >
> >The case stems from a July 2003 traffic stop in Atlantic County in which a
> >Ventnor police officer pulled over motorist James Badessa because he made a
> >legal turn to avoid a driving-while-intoxicated checkpoint. The officer
> >arrested Badessa for allegedly driving drunk and charged him with refusing
> >to take a Breathalyzer test.
> >
> >I'm glad.
> >

> DUIs are killers and maimers and only a criminal coddler wants them to
> avoid punishment.

And those that believe in freedom, comrade. If you like DUI
checkpoints, then you better have your papers ready at all times.

Old November 14th 05, 06:54 AM
Brent P

In article .com>, Old Wolf wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>
>> In article >, BE wrote:
>>> Motorist refused to take a breath test after avoiding a roadblock in 2003
>>>
>>> http://hort.net/+132H
>>>
>>> The case stems from a July 2003 traffic stop in Atlantic County in which a
>>> Ventnor police officer pulled over motorist James Badessa because he made a
>>> legal turn to avoid a driving-while-intoxicated checkpoint. The officer
>>> arrested Badessa for allegedly driving drunk and charged him with refusing
>>> to take a Breathalyzer test.
>>>

>> All this guy did was not go through the checkpoint.
>> A small victory for liberty.

> Isn't it illegal to refuse to take a breathalyser test when a cop asks
> you to? In my area, you must either take the breathalyser, or go
> back to the precinct and take a blood test.

Legality and correctness are two different things.

Old November 14th 05, 10:20 AM
william lynch

Larry Bud wrote:
> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:13:59 -0500, "BE" > wrote:
>>
>>>Motorist refused to take a breath test after avoiding a roadblock in 2003
>>>
>>>http://hort.net/+132H
>>>
>>>The case stems from a July 2003 traffic stop in Atlantic County in which a
>>>Ventnor police officer pulled over motorist James Badessa because he made a
>>>legal turn to avoid a driving-while-intoxicated checkpoint. The officer
>>>arrested Badessa for allegedly driving drunk and charged him with refusing
>>>to take a Breathalyzer test.
>>>
>>>I'm glad.

>>DUIs are killers and maimers and only a criminal coddler wants them to
>>avoid punishment.

> And those that believe in freedom, comrade. If you like DUI
> checkpoints, then you better have your papers ready at all times.

In most states, that's already been required for years.
Old November 14th 05, 08:38 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...

>You have no evidence TK was drunk that day.

You never let something like evidence stop you from pushing your idiotic
idea that 55mph is a good limit on all roads.
---------------
Alex

Old November 14th 05, 08:41 PM
necromancer

was motivated to say this in rec.autos.driving on
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:31:56 GMT:

http://tinyurl.com/2aul

Old November 15th 05, 04:03 AM
Harry K

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, BE wrote:
> > Motorist refused to take a breath test after avoiding a roadblock in 2003
> >
> > http://hort.net/+132H
> >
> > The case stems from a July 2003 traffic stop in Atlantic County in which a
> > Ventnor police officer pulled over motorist James Badessa because he made a
> > legal turn to avoid a driving-while-intoxicated checkpoint. The officer
> > arrested Badessa for allegedly driving drunk and charged him with refusing
> > to take a Breathalyzer test.
> >
> > I'm glad.

> Notice the stance of the neoprohibitionists.
>
> All this guy did was not go through the checkpoint.
>
> A small victory for liberty.

Right. The ruling was apparently on a technicality such as it wasn't a
legal stop as the cop didn't have pc in that he didn't -know- that he
turned to avoid the block. Could have had other reasons for turning.
Regardless. It is a victory for liberty technicality or not.

Harry K