Death to ethanol!

Old August 10th 12, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RichA

Default Death to ethanol!

It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
should be abolished.
P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

BBC;

10 August 2012 Last updated at 09:26 ET
US biofuel production should be suspended, UN says

The United Nations (UN) food agency has called on the United States to
suspend its production of biofuel ethanol.

Under US law, 40% of the corn harvest must be used to make biofuel, a
quota which the UN says could contribute to a food crisis around the
world.

A drought and heatwave across the US has destroyed much of the
country's corn crop, driving up prices.

The US argues that producing much of its own fuel, rather than
importing it, is good for the country.

The latest forecasts from the US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
suggest that this year's corn yield - the amount produced per acre -
will be the lowest since 1995-6.

Total production will be the lowest for six years, it forecast, due to
the extreme heat and dryness.

As a result, the USDA is predicting further rises in prices. It now
thinks farm prices for corn will average $7.50-$8.90 per bushel, a
sharp rise on the $5.40-$6.40 per bushel it predicted just a month
ago.

Writing in the Financial Times, the director general of the United
Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Jose Graziano da
Silva, said suspension of the quota would allow more of the crop to be
diverted for food production.

"The worst drought for 50 years is inflicting huge damage on the US
maize crop, with serious consequences for the overall international
food supply.

"The situation reminds us that even the most advanced agricultural
systems are subject to the vagaries of the weather, leading to
volatility in supplies and prices, not just on domestic markets, but
also internationally."
Cheaper fuel

Concerns about the impact of the dry weather in the US pushed maize
prices up by 23% in July, according to the latest FAO food price

But the US Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said the biofuels
standard was having a positive impact on the country.

"It is impacting in a positive way the cost of gasoline in this
country - some estimates put it at 25 cents to as much as $1.30 less
for gas because we have a biofuel industry.

"There are jobs connected to that industry and less reliance on
foreign oil. The question is: Is the market responding to concerns
about supply and the answer is yes.

"Exports are down just a bit and ethanol production is down from
between 10% and 30%, depending on the part of the country."

By law, 13 billion gallons of biofuel must be produced in the US this
year. The country's Renewable Fuel Standard, as the law is known, was
designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and dependence on imported
oil. It has long been controversial, with many blaming the quota for
pushing up corn prices.

The United Nations is not alone in calling for the quota to be
suspended. Livestock producers in the US, worried about the cost of
cattle feed, also want it scrapped and the governments of China, India
and France have expressed concerns about the policy.
Old August 11th 12, 08:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-08-10, RichA > wrote:
> It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
> foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
> components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
> should be abolished.
> P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

The environment is the excuse. It has nothing to do with
environmentalists. It has to do with big business and the corn lobby.

Corn ethanol is stupid. Sugar cane ethanol works (energy &
economically). But here's the problem, can't make sugar cane ethanol in
the contintal USA because it doesn't grow here. It works nicely for
Brazil. Could work for Hawaii, but Hawaii being part of the USA is stuck
with US politics so they import corn ethanol instead of making their own
locally with sugar cane.

> BBC;
>
> 10 August 2012 Last updated at 09:26 ET
> US biofuel production should be suspended, UN says
>
> The United Nations (UN) food agency has called on the United States to
> suspend its production of biofuel ethanol.

> Under US law, 40% of the corn harvest must be used to make biofuel, a
> quota which the UN says could contribute to a food crisis around the
> world.

(sniP)

Same UN that wants to drive down our standard of living via the climate
change scam.

Old August 11th 12, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

I say keep using it as fuel. Just stop turning so damn much of corn into high fructose corn syrup and making every food product sickly sweet and we'll have plenty to go around.

Patrick

Old August 11th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Friday, August 10, 2012 1:56:16 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
>
> foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
>
> components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
>
> should be abolished.
>
> P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

If it weren't for the "enviroqueers" you'd be living in a world of toxic water and air. If you don't know what that would be like I suggest you go live in a third world country that doesn't adhere to any environmental policies. I have, and let me tell you it isn't pretty -- air so freakin' thick with pollution you can't see anymore than 30 feet in front of you, and the associated breathing problems. It sucks. I got back to the States and I kissed my catalytic convertors and said thank you environmentalists!

Old August 11th 12, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 8/11/2012 02:06, Brent wrote:
> On 2012-08-10, RichA > wrote:
>> It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
>> foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
>> components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
>> should be abolished.
>> P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

> The environment is the excuse. It has nothing to do with
> environmentalists. It has to do with big business and the corn lobby.
>
> Corn ethanol is stupid. Sugar cane ethanol works (energy &
> economically). But here's the problem, can't make sugar cane ethanol in
> the contintal USA because it doesn't grow here. It works nicely for
> Brazil. Could work for Hawaii, but Hawaii being part of the USA is stuck
> with US politics so they import corn ethanol instead of making their own
> locally with sugar cane.

Say whaa??? You got that Idea from where?? I personally know three
sugarcane farmers here and there are thousands more. There are sugarcane
plantations all over Louisiana.

Old August 11th 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-08-11, WindsorFox<SS> > wrote:
> On 8/11/2012 02:06, Brent wrote:
>> On 2012-08-10, RichA > wrote:
>>> It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
>>> foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
>>> components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
>>> should be abolished.
>>> P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

>> The environment is the excuse. It has nothing to do with
>> environmentalists. It has to do with big business and the corn lobby.
>>
>> Corn ethanol is stupid. Sugar cane ethanol works (energy &
>> economically). But here's the problem, can't make sugar cane ethanol in
>> the contintal USA because it doesn't grow here. It works nicely for
>> Brazil. Could work for Hawaii, but Hawaii being part of the USA is stuck
>> with US politics so they import corn ethanol instead of making their own
>> locally with sugar cane.
>>

> Say whaa??? You got that Idea from where?? I personally know three
> sugarcane farmers here and there are thousands more. There are sugarcane
> plantations all over Louisiana.

It was my understanding. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

Old August 11th 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 8/11/2012 10:20, Brent wrote:
> On 2012-08-11, WindsorFox<SS> > wrote:
>>>
>>> The environment is the excuse. It has nothing to do with
>>> environmentalists. It has to do with big business and the corn lobby.
>>>
>>> Corn ethanol is stupid. Sugar cane ethanol works (energy &
>>> economically). But here's the problem, can't make sugar cane ethanol in
>>> the contintal USA because it doesn't grow here. It works nicely for
>>> Brazil. Could work for Hawaii, but Hawaii being part of the USA is stuck
>>> with US politics so they import corn ethanol instead of making their own
>>> locally with sugar cane.
>>>

>> Say whaa??? You got that Idea from where?? I personally know three
>> sugarcane farmers here and there are thousands more. There are sugarcane
>> plantations all over Louisiana.

> It was my understanding. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

Mayor of Sugarland Texas on line three for you....

Old August 11th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NotMe

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2012-08-10, RichA > wrote:
>> It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
>> foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
>> components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
>> should be abolished.
>> P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

> The environment is the excuse. It has nothing to do with
> environmentalists. It has to do with big business and the corn lobby.
>
> Corn ethanol is stupid. Sugar cane ethanol works (energy &
> economically). But here's the problem, can't make sugar cane ethanol in
> the contintal USA because it doesn't grow here. It works nicely for
> Brazil. Could work for Hawaii, but Hawaii being part of the USA is stuck
> with US politics so they import corn ethanol instead of making their own
> locally with sugar cane.

Can't? Louisiana, MS, Texas come to mind. Also sugar beets. My
grandfather ran some of his trucks on ethanol during WWII.

Old August 11th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NotMe

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in message
> On 8/11/2012 10:20, Brent wrote:

>>> Say whaa??? You got that Idea from where?? I personally know three
>>> sugarcane farmers here and there are thousands more. There are sugarcane
>>> plantations all over Louisiana.

>> It was my understanding. If it's wrong, it's wrong.
>>

> Mayor of Sugarland Texas on line three for you....

Sugarland Texas is and has been part of urban Houston for decades.

Old August 12th 12, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 07:06:49 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> wrote:

>On 2012-08-10, RichA > wrote:
>> It is of no value. It has raised corn prices (and all the myriad
>> foods associated with it) by 100% over 1.5 years. It scours engine
>> components of their protective oil layer. It dries out seals. It
>> should be abolished.
>> P.S. Enviroqueers; Lead by example, STOP DRIVING.

>The environment is the excuse. It has nothing to do with
>environmentalists. It has to do with big business and the corn lobby.
>
>Corn ethanol is stupid. Sugar cane ethanol works (energy &
>economically). But here's the problem, can't make sugar cane ethanol in
>the contintal USA because it doesn't grow here. It works nicely for
>Brazil. Could work for Hawaii, but Hawaii being part of the USA is stuck
>with US politics so they import corn ethanol instead of making their own
>locally with sugar cane.
>

>> BBC;
>>
>> 10 August 2012 Last updated at 09:26 ET
>> US biofuel production should be suspended, UN says
>>
>> The United Nations (UN) food agency has called on the United States to
>> suspend its production of biofuel ethanol.

>> Under US law, 40% of the corn harvest must be used to make biofuel, a
>> quota which the UN says could contribute to a food crisis around the
>> world.

>(sniP)
>
>Same UN that wants to drive down our standard of living via the climate
>change scam.

Anyone who needs a definition of stupidity need only look to the US
Congress for stupidity in spades. Not to mention graft, corruption,
insider dealing, etc, etc etc.

Jury recommends death for arsonist who accidentally killed 5 - Why don't killer DUIs get death? Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 9 March 21st 09 05:26 AM
Ethanol Deputy Dog Ford Mustang 16 April 3rd 07 10:32 PM
ethanol producers who use ethanol? Mad Scientist Jr Technology 27 September 13th 06 04:09 AM
Gasoline with Ethanol [email protected] Technology 5 April 13th 06 03:40 PM
More on U.S. ethanol [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 February 13th 06 10:22 PM