What's your longest one day Miata drive?

Old October 5th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default What's your longest one day Miata drive?

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> That sounds pretty darn bad-a_s actually.

> Some of the passes were so good, we had to turn around and do them
> again. The Divide trip was best thing I ever did with a Miata, even
> better than a track day.
>
> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/374151/2
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

That's great! What a drive! Ice at altitude, that WILL make things
interesting!
Oh and hey, you are one lucky man to have a wife that hollers 'go faster',
mine and (I believe) most other wives tend to holler quite regularly 'slow
down'! Actually, I wore my wife down over the years, it takes quite allot to
get her to 'comment'. By the time she does, she's usually right, I'm getting
a little carried away (for public roads anyway)!

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old October 5th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stephen McMahon

Returning to Santa Monica from the West San Fernando Valley. Instead of the
101Fwy East to the 405Fwy South, I take the 101 West to Kanan Dune Rd, then
South thru Lobo Cyn to Mulholland Dr., then East to Latigo Cyn. The next 5
miles are deserted, twisty county road. Very nice. Then you start to hit
some houses so you should slow but you're also greeted by the very best
panoramic view of the Pacific in all of the Santa Monica Mountains. Only
problem is the traffic-jammed Pacific Coast Hwy at the bottom of Lattigo,
but, Hey ...

Steve McMahon
2007 Green Sport

Old October 6th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Stephen McMahon" > wrote in message
et...
> Returning to Santa Monica from the West San Fernando Valley. Instead of
> the 101Fwy East to the 405Fwy South, I take the 101 West to Kanan Dune Rd,
> then South thru Lobo Cyn to Mulholland Dr., then East to Latigo Cyn. The
> next 5 miles are deserted, twisty county road. Very nice. Then you start
> to hit some houses so you should slow but you're also greeted by the very
> best panoramic view of the Pacific in all of the Santa Monica Mountains.
> Only problem is the traffic-jammed Pacific Coast Hwy at the bottom of
> Lattigo, but, Hey ...
>
> Steve McMahon
> 2007 Green Sport

That sounds good! This (transplanted) Texas boy got to run down the coast
(HWY 101) in my Miata last year. That was my second trip to CA and the first
to actually get to do some serious driving. I think I had hwy 101 so built
up in my mind it was a bit anti-climactic. I mean it was pretty but just
didn't take my breath away so-to-speak, like I thought it would. Actually
driving thru some part of CA between Phoenix and LA, it really was amazing.
Beautiful green rolling hills, it looked like I was driving thru Ireland!
Someone told me that 'beauty' (the 'green' part) doesn't last long and that,
that area dries out pretty bad shortly there after for the summer. We went
in March.

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old October 6th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stephen McMahon

Actually
driving thru some part of CA between Phoenix and LA, it really was amazing.
Beautiful green rolling hills, it looked like I was driving thru Ireland!

I'm *guessing* that you maybe took a little detour off the 10 Fwy at Palm
Desert, like maybe even Frank Sinatra Dr. to Hwy 74 which you took over the
pass in the San Jacinto Mtns and eventually ended up in the San Berdoo Nat'l
Forest near Idyllwild and Lake Hemet. THAT is one of the prettiest drives
in SoCal. Yes, it does remind a little of the Emerald Isle.

Someone told me that 'beauty' (the 'green' part) doesn't last long and that,
that area dries out pretty bad shortly there after for the summer. We went
in March.

Yes the wild barley grass goes 'gold' in summer, but not really dried-out
brown. I drove it last June and it was still vibrant green.

My next drive will be Hwy 395 thru The Owens Valley mid-to-late Oct.
There's a lake valley off the High Sierras, called Lake Lundy (just North of
Mono Lake) where, if conditions permit, the fall colors are spectacular
(well for California, anyway):

http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NAU1942.php

--
SM

Old October 8th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Stephen McMahon" > wrote in message

> Actually
> driving thru some part of CA between Phoenix and LA, it really was
> amazing.
> Beautiful green rolling hills, it looked like I was driving thru Ireland!
>>

> I'm *guessing* that you maybe took a little detour off the 10 Fwy at Palm
> Desert, like maybe even Frank Sinatra Dr. to Hwy 74 which you took over
> the pass in the San Jacinto Mtns and eventually ended up in the San Berdoo
> Nat'l Forest near Idyllwild and Lake Hemet. THAT is one of the prettiest
> drives in SoCal. Yes, it does remind a little of the Emerald Isle.
>

> Someone told me that 'beauty' (the 'green' part) doesn't last long and
> that,
> that area dries out pretty bad shortly there after for the summer. We went
> in March.
>>

> Yes the wild barley grass goes 'gold' in summer, but not really dried-out
> brown. I drove it last June and it was still vibrant green.
>
> My next drive will be Hwy 395 thru The Owens Valley mid-to-late Oct.
> There's a lake valley off the High Sierras, called Lake Lundy (just North
> of Mono Lake) where, if conditions permit, the fall colors are spectacular
> (well for California, anyway):
>
> http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NAU1942.php
>

> --
> SM

Actually I don't remember us getting off the main drag. It was just really
pretty for a ways there. I also remember seeing some serious wind farms!
Pretty incredible.

Chris
99BBB