35.97 mpg...

Old September 7th 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

Default 35.97 mpg...

.... was my calculated[1] fuel consumption rate for an ~84 mile drive
from Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Reston, Virginia on Sunday. I
intentionally drove as conciously of fuel consumption as possible,
without causing a dangerous situation. Average speeds were in the
55-63 mph range, with just a few stoplights and runs through the
gears. Mostly 4-lane state and county highways, with speed limits of
either 55mph or 60mph, but with most traffic running at 65-75 mph; I
stayed in the right lane and lost count of the number of vehicles that
passed me. I passed *maybe* 10-12 trucks during the entire run.

1997 Miata 1.8l "M" edition, dead stock, 60k miles on it, with top
down, and two passengers; normal (mostly around town) MPG is ~28;
normal highway mpg is ~30-32.

I was pleased with the results, but it was difficult to drive the
Miata that way, even for just 84 miles! I probably won't do it
again, just to save a couple of tenths of a gallon of gas. ;-)

Tim

[1] topped off before and after, to the top of the filler neck;
'burped' to elminate the dreaded air bubble(s).
Old September 9th 10, 10:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

Looks like your trip might have been a bit downhill!
See what the return trip looks like.

Old September 10th 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Looks like your trip might have been a bit downhill!
> See what the return trip looks like.

Good point, that's quite possible. This is a brutal exercise though isn't
it!? You do it once and you don't want to do it again!

Chris
99BBB

Old September 10th 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> This is a brutal exercise though isn't
> it!? You do it once and you don't want to do it again!

Roger that. I did a gas mileage rally once, and came in second with 37.4
mpg. It was horrible, staying under 2500 rpm and using as little
throttle or brakes as possible. Never again.

BTW, the winner had a 1.6 and got FORTY-TWO! I think he overinflated his
tires beforehand, whereas I did nothing whatsoever for preparation.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old September 10th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

On Sep 9, 5:18*am, Chuck > wrote:

> Looks like your trip might have been a bit downhill!
> See what the return trip looks like.

It's mostly flat. Actually, my starting point was about 100 feet
above sea level and my ending point was a little under 400 feet above
sea level.

Anyway, not what the Miata was made for. Just an interesting
observation, and really an exercise that I don't care to repeat!

Old September 11th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BK

I just got back from a 1300+ mile trip...some interstate...a couple of days
backroading in a rally...some city driving. We averaged a little over 32
mpg for the trip. Dino is a 90.

Old September 12th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"BK" > wrote in message
>I just got back from a 1300+ mile trip...some interstate...a couple of days
>backroading in a rally...some city driving. We averaged a little over 32
>mpg for the trip. Dino is a 90.

That's amazing, I can't seem to get over 27 but then I can't seem to cruise
on the freeway at anything below 70. Not sure if my mileage is 'normal' or
below.

Later,
cd
99BBB

Old September 12th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Donwill

On 07/09/2010 19:44, Tim M. wrote:
> ... was my calculated[1] fuel consumption rate for an ~84 mile drive
> from Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Reston, Virginia on Sunday. I
> intentionally drove as conciously of fuel consumption as possible,
> without causing a dangerous situation. Average speeds were in the
> 55-63 mph range, with just a few stoplights and runs through the
> gears. Mostly 4-lane state and county highways, with speed limits of
> either 55mph or 60mph, but with most traffic running at 65-75 mph; I
> stayed in the right lane and lost count of the number of vehicles that
> passed me. I passed *maybe* 10-12 trucks during the entire run.
>
> 1997 Miata 1.8l "M" edition, dead stock, 60k miles on it, with top
> down, and two passengers; normal (mostly around town) MPG is ~28;
> normal highway mpg is ~30-32.
>
> I was pleased with the results, but it was difficult to drive the
> Miata that way, even for just 84 miles! I probably won't do it
> again, just to save a couple of tenths of a gallon of gas. ;-)
>
> Tim
>
> [1] topped off before and after, to the top of the filler neck;
> 'burped' to elminate the dreaded air bubble(s).

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/20364.aspx
Don
Old September 12th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 23:25:20 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >, "Chris
> D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> This is a brutal exercise though isn't it!? You do it once and you
>> don't want to do it again!

> Roger that. I did a gas mileage rally once, and came in second with
> 37.4 mpg. It was horrible, staying under 2500 rpm and using as little
> throttle or brakes as possible. Never qagain.
>
> BTW, the winner had a 1.6 and got FORTY-TWO! I think he overinflated
> his tires beforehand, whereas I did nothing whatsoever for
> preparation.

The entire point of a car like a Miata is being able to rip through the
gears without being a menace to society and while still returning
reasonable mileage.

I have a geek buddy who has a Prius and thinks hypermiling is the best
possible thing you can do with a car. We agreed to disagree.
Old September 14th 10, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Sep 9, 11:06*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> "Chuck" > wrote in message

> > Looks like your trip might have been a bit downhill!
> > See what the return trip looks like.

> Good point, that's quite possible. This is a brutal exercise though isn't
> it!? You do it once and you don't want to do it again!

yes, i find it much easier to just whack my thumb w/ a hammer when i
think of such things, (like getting another 68 mustang or old brit
bike)

peter

41 MPG city Fusion Hybrid more efficient than Camry Hybrid's 33 MPG [email protected] Technology 118 February 11th 09 02:51 PM
MPG GT[_1_] Alfa Romeo 0 July 2nd 07 01:52 PM
MPG? William Warren Chrysler 4 October 4th 05 07:19 PM
AT has better MPG than MT? Bucky Honda 17 June 10th 05 09:13 PM