School Bus Superficially Damaged - 20 Children Go To Hospital

Old May 10th 05, 03:55 AM
Bill 2

Default School Bus Superficially Damaged - 20 Children Go To Hospital

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

> The school bus was only superficially damaged. It is clear from the
> pictures SEAT BELTS would have protected most, if not all, children
> passengers from injury. Seats must also be designed such that they have
> soft backs to cushion impact when heads or unrestrained bodies are thrown
> forward in these kind of crashes. Oftentimes, a school bus is simply
> upset
> and children thrown from their seats and injured. It is time for a
> Federal
> law requiring seat belts in all school and commercial buses. Petition
> your
> Congressman and Senator at both state and Federal levels.

I know I'm feeding a known troll, but if you petition for seatbelts,
petition for 3 point shoulder belts. Lap belts alone can cause more injury.
Also request that at least the passive compartmentalization system be
improved as well, since we have learned lots about safety since 1977.

I won't even go into the logistical nightmare of installing and maintaining
quality belts in underfunded school vehicles.

Also a few months ago a local school bus suffered a mechanical failure (or
so the driver said) and the bus rolled off the road. There were no major
injuries.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:47 AM
DYM

"Bill 2" > wrote in
:

> "Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>
>> The school bus was only superficially damaged. It is clear from

the
>> pictures SEAT BELTS would have protected most, if not all,

children
>> passengers from injury. Seats must also be designed such that

they
>> have soft backs to cushion impact when heads or unrestrained

bodies
>> are thrown forward in these kind of crashes. Oftentimes, a

school
>> bus is simply upset
>> and children thrown from their seats and injured. It is time

for a
>> Federal
>> law requiring seat belts in all school and commercial buses.
>> Petition your
>> Congressman and Senator at both state and Federal levels.

> I know I'm feeding a known troll, but if you petition for

seatbelts,
> petition for 3 point shoulder belts. Lap belts alone can cause

more
> injury. Also request that at least the passive

compartmentalization
> system be improved as well, since we have learned lots about

safety
> since 1977.
>
> I won't even go into the logistical nightmare of installing and
> maintaining quality belts in underfunded school vehicles.
>
> Also a few months ago a local school bus suffered a mechanical

failure
> (or so the driver said) and the bus rolled off the road. There

were no
> major injuries.

In the last five years in Pennslyvania (where I drive) seat belts
would have saved zero lives and prevented no serious injuries. If
you want to throw money at school bus safety, look at making
when they encounter a school bus. As the recent story illustrates,
in a multivehicle crash involving school bus and cars. The
passengers of cars will lose. Here in PA they account for some 60%
of the fatalities (I can get more accurate numbers if you want).
The other fatalities are from pedestrians.

Doug
Bus #26