Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 24th 05, 07:51 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"jaybird" > wrote in message

> "L Sternn" > wrote in message

>> Do you really believe that just because there was no harm that no foul
>> was committed?

> I just answered that. There was no harm other than his rudeness and there
> was no foul either.

Easy for you to say--it wasn't your son who died.

Old March 24th 05, 01:10 PM
SheBlewHimDidYouBlowHim

the only good traffic cop is DEAD traffic cop

Old March 24th 05, 01:49 PM
SheBlewHimDidYouBlowHim

fired?, hell how about shot ?

Old March 24th 05, 05:03 PM
Allen Seth Dunn

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:10:37 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>

>>"L Sternn" > wrote in message

>>> I'm glad someone besides me isn't blinded by the argument that the cop
>>> was merely being rude.

>>I wouldn't align myself with DTJ too quickly. He's even worse than you
>>with
>>his colorful language when you get him stirred up. )

> Cool, maybe I can learn something from him.
>
> Hey, DTJ. **** you! ;-)

To Mr. Sternn and DTJ: The killfile is your friend, hint hint. I stopped
wasting my time with that certain person because it is arguing with a brick
wall.

Old March 24th 05, 05:38 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Allen Seth Dunn" > wrote in message

> To Mr. Sternn and DTJ: The killfile is your friend, hint hint. I stopped
> wasting my time with that certain person because it is arguing with a
> brick wall.

At least a brick wall stands for something and serves a useful purpose.

Old March 24th 05, 06:26 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:16:41 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>> Do you really believe that just because there was no harm that no foul
>>> was committed?

>>I just answered that.

> Just trying to get you to recognize that there was a foul, even if
> there was no harm.

For the language, I agree.

>> There was no harm other than his rudeness and there
>>was no foul either. Again, it's stated: "Police officials maintain that
>>despite Peasley's comments, he acted promptly to send emergency personnel
>>the scene."

> Which is not credible given that he was punished for "inefficient
> action".

He was punished for conduct unbecoming an officer: "The investigation
revealed inappropriate and unprofessional language," said Sgt. J. Paul
Vance, a state police spokesman. His comments did not effect response time.

> Get those cops to say that under oath.
>

>>> If I aim a gun at you and fire, is it okay as long as I miss?
>>>
>>> I don't think so.

>>Well you've got that one right. Aiming a gun at someone is Deadly
>>Conduct,
>>firing it could be many things from Aggravated Assualt to Attempted Murder
>>whether you hit them or not.... two different scenarios.

> They're not very different at all. Perhaps he really thought they had
> already dispatched anyone, but they had not.
>
> I should alter my proposed scenario to leave out aiming at you. Let's
> say you don't know if I aimed it at you or if I was just mishandling
> it by not following reasonable safety precautions and it happened to
> be pointed in your general direction when it accidentally went off.

That could still fall under Deadly Conduct which is much different than
Conduct Unbecoming.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 06:28 PM
jaybird

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "jaybird" > wrote in message
>>
>> "L Sternn" > wrote in message

>>> Do you really believe that just because there was no harm that no foul
>>> was committed?

>> I just answered that. There was no harm other than his rudeness and
>> there was no foul either.

> Easy for you to say--it wasn't your son who died.

No it wasn't, and while that is a tragedy I still stick by my original
response which was that I don't believe an 18 year veteran with an
unblemished career should be fired for a comment. Even 15 days is still
excessive. The responders were on the way and he made a rude comment.
Those are about the only facts we really have.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 06:29 PM
jaybird

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know for an actual fact that jaybird is a real live law
> enforcement officer? Is it not possible that he's an anti-cop troll? I
> know he's certainly decreased MY respect for the average everyday cop.

Nope. Nobody knows.

> I've known only one cop, and that was 50 years ago. He seemed just
> about as arrogant.

Well then there ya go. Maybe I am legit then. )

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 06:37 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:25:40 -0800, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know for an actual fact that jaybird is a real live law
>>enforcement officer? Is it not possible that he's an anti-cop troll? I
>>know he's certainly decreased MY respect for the average everyday cop.
>>

> I try not to let him do that. Real cop or poser, there are good and
> bad cops. I always give cops a chance to show which kind they are
> before forming an opinion.

I would agree with that. I think that holds true in any profession though.
There are doctors we like, and those we don't. Convenience store clerks...
any profession has people in it that have different personalities. Your
definition of good cop or bad cop might be different from mine though. I
see good cops as law abiding, professional, honest, and fair. Bad cops to
me are criminals who lie, cheat, and steal and who deserve to be in jail.
Just because a cop has an attitude about things that differs from mine, I
don't automatically call them a bad cop.

I'm a bit more defensive in here than usual because I'm about the only one
around. People bash cops in here left and right and I just throw out some
support now and then. There are a lot of angles of the job that I've seen
that the average person wouldn't usually be privy to so I can better see
some of the issues as understandable. I may sound calloused and harsh
sometimes, but such is life at times. Take it for what it's worth because I
don't always hand out teddy bears and candy canes. )

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 06:44 PM
jaybird

"Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jaybird" > wrote:

>> . ..

>> > Are you stupid?
>> >
>> > Intentionally disconnecting emergency calls should be a crime if it
>> > isn't already. The POTENTIAL for it to result in death makes it very
>> > serious.
>> >
>> > This pig was lucky.

>> > And that in no way excuses hanging up on people calling 911 with real
>> > emergencies.

>> > He did not.
>> >
>> > Care to explain how he could have done so since he hung up on the
>> > caller?
>> >
>> > In fact, he hung up on 2 different people and he didn't dispatch ****.
>> >
>> > The ambulance was dispatched by someone who took their job seriously.
>> >
>> > 911 is not for playing games. As a cop, you should know that and so
>> > should the piece of **** Peasley.

>> > I'm not sorry if you take offense. I take offense to your cavalier
>> > attitude towards public safety.
>> >
>> > Your defense of someone who willfully put members of the public gives
>> > you zero credibility.

>> > And I'm not complaining about his being rude.

>> > No, he did NOT.
>> >
>> > He hung up on the 1st 2 callers and probably would have continued
>> > hanging up on them had a THIRD call that was answered by a DIFFERENT
>> > dispatcher who then dispatched an ambulance.

>> > No. You're either intentionally lying or you haven't even bothered to
>> > read up on this incident.
>> >
>> > Which is it?
>> >
>> > Here's a couple of links just in case you're merely ignorant:
>> >
>> > http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?s=3107048
>> > (includes a link to audio of the 911 calls)
>> >
>> > http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2005/911.asp
>> > (this one's short enough that you shouldn't have too much
>> > trouble reading the whole thing)

>> Ok, now that we're past the profanity and insults maybe we can discuss
>> this
>> like adults. The article says nothing about him not dispatching
>> emergency
>> units to the scene and in fact says: "Police officials maintain that
>> despite
>> Peasley's comments, he acted promptly to send emergency personnel to the
>> scene." From the first two phone calls quoted it seems to me like they
>> either already had a report of the wreck, or had prior calls about the
>> motorcycle especially in the second call. I agree that he could've
>> handled
>> things better, but the job was done.

> Sounds like cops covering and making excuses for cops...
>
> ...just like you're doing.

Not covering, just defending.... for some parts. He came across like an
ass.

--
---
jaybird