Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 24th 05, 08:06 PM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:53:25 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:13:14 -0500, Nate Nagel >
>wrote:
>
>>> If we fired every cop who was rude to a citizen who wasn't a suspect, we'd
>>> have maybe 100 cops per large city.

>>That's OK, there's still lots of polite, conscientious people who's like
>>to have jobs.

>Not that job.
>
>It takes a special kind of person to put his life on the line on a
>daily basis, and to put up with all the crap and frustration that
>comes with the job - and, on top of it all, to be paid peanuts for it.

He was a 911 operator. How much money should he get?

Old March 24th 05, 08:08 PM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:07:59 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>>Now, if the cop made an honest mistake, I would support him EVEN IF HE
>>HAD A HISTORY of bad mistakes. The issue is the behavior in question,
>>not how someone else behaves, nor what he did in the past.

>Usually before an employee can be fired for cause, a pattern of
>unprofessional behavior must be documented. Unless you're Donald
>Trump, you can't just tell an employee "you're fired" on impulse
>(unless you want to be sued). You have to give the employee a
>documented opportunity to "straighten up" before you can drop the axe.
>I imagine these requirements are even more stringent in a strong union
>environment such as the FOP. Bottom line, even if his boss wanted to
>fire that trooper, he probably couldn't do it because of the 18 year
>clean record.

Perhaps his superiors should be fired for covering up all the bad ****
he did for 18 years.

Old March 24th 05, 08:11 PM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:28:34 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>> should roll off like water from a duck's back.

>This is just a good oportunity to have a voice. Cops aren't really allowed
>to voice an opinion to the public or to violators, they just have to do
>their job and move on with their mouth shut; their statements given by
>public information officers and attorneys. I can't really call some guy a
>prick on the side of the road for arguing about being pulled over, I can't
>tell my side of an arrest or complaint that's just made the local news,

And it's a good thing too - then EVERYONE would know what a liar you
are.

> and
>I have to put up with my name being drug through the mud if I'm ever sued,
>or complained against.

If you don't want your name drug thru the mud, don't wallow there in
the first place.

Old March 24th 05, 08:44 PM
Alan Baker

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> >> Ok, now that we're past the profanity and insults maybe we can discuss
> >> this
> >> like adults. The article says nothing about him not dispatching
> >> emergency
> >> units to the scene and in fact says: "Police officials maintain that
> >> despite
> >> Peasley's comments, he acted promptly to send emergency personnel to the
> >> scene." From the first two phone calls quoted it seems to me like they
> >> either already had a report of the wreck, or had prior calls about the
> >> motorcycle especially in the second call. I agree that he could've
> >> handled
> >> things better, but the job was done.

> > Sounds like cops covering and making excuses for cops...
> >
> > ...just like you're doing.

> Not covering, just defending.... for some parts. He came across like an
> ass.

More than that, he potentially put people's lives at risk by not doing
his job (hanging up before ascertaining whether it was in fact an
accident that had already been reported).

Gross dereliction of duty.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 24th 05, 08:47 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:10:14 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>> IANAL, but anyone can see that either scenario has the potential to
>>> result in needless death.
>>>
>>> Dead is dead, no matter what the law says.

>>Sure, but death cannot always be prevented no matter what you do.

> How did Peasley know that he had time to hang up on 2 callers and let
> a different dispatcher send help?

We don't know that he hadn't already sent it.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 08:48 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:53:25 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:

>>>That's OK, there's still lots of polite, conscientious people who's like
>>>to have jobs.

>>Not that job.
>>
>>It takes a special kind of person to put his life on the line on a
>>daily basis, and to put up with all the crap and frustration that
>>comes with the job - and, on top of it all, to be paid peanuts for it.
>>

> He was a 911 operator. How much money should he get?

No, he was a Trooper assigned to working 911.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 08:49 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:07:59 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
>
>>>Now, if the cop made an honest mistake, I would support him EVEN IF HE
>>>HAD A HISTORY of bad mistakes. The issue is the behavior in question,
>>>not how someone else behaves, nor what he did in the past.

>>Usually before an employee can be fired for cause, a pattern of
>>unprofessional behavior must be documented. Unless you're Donald
>>Trump, you can't just tell an employee "you're fired" on impulse
>>(unless you want to be sued). You have to give the employee a
>>documented opportunity to "straighten up" before you can drop the axe.
>>I imagine these requirements are even more stringent in a strong union
>>environment such as the FOP. Bottom line, even if his boss wanted to
>>fire that trooper, he probably couldn't do it because of the 18 year
>>clean record.
>>

> Perhaps his superiors should be fired for covering up all the bad ****
> he did for 18 years.

Can you provide a cite for that information? None of us have seen anything
from his past.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 08:51 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:28:34 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>> should roll off like water from a duck's back.

>>This is just a good oportunity to have a voice. Cops aren't really
>>allowed
>>to voice an opinion to the public or to violators, they just have to do
>>their job and move on with their mouth shut; their statements given by
>>public information officers and attorneys. I can't really call some guy a
>>prick on the side of the road for arguing about being pulled over, I can't
>>tell my side of an arrest or complaint that's just made the local news,

> And it's a good thing too - then EVERYONE would know what a liar you
> are.

Oh wow. Now I'm a liar too. You sound more and more believable by the
post.

>> and
>>I have to put up with my name being drug through the mud if I'm ever sued,
>>or complained against.

> If you don't want your name drug thru the mud, don't wallow there in
> the first place.

I don't intend to, but I've seen others who didn't intend to either but
ended up there for actions that people like you assumed they did.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 09:31 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:47:07 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"L Sternn" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Sure, but death cannot always be prevented no matter what you do.

>> How did Peasley know that he had time to hang up on 2 callers and let
>> a different dispatcher send help?

>We don't know that he hadn't already sent it.

Where is there ANYTHING to suggest that he had already sent help?
Old March 24th 05, 09:54 PM
The Real Bev

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:13:14 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
> >> If we fired every cop who was rude to a citizen who wasn't a suspect, we'd
> >> have maybe 100 cops per large city.

> >That's OK, there's still lots of polite, conscientious people who's like
> >to have jobs.

> Not that job.
>
> It takes a special kind of person to put his life on the line on a
> daily basis, and to put up with all the crap and frustration that
> comes with the job - and, on top of it all, to be paid peanuts for it.
>
> Relatively speaking, there aren't many people like that.

OTOH, they get to carry guns, disobey traffic laws, be as subtly rude as
their skills permit (nobody can make 'Ma'am' sound like an insult like a
cop can!) and order ordinary citizens around. And then there are the
doughnuts. Maybe it all evens out.

--
Cheers,
Bev