Anti-theft radio code is a scam by Honda! Way around?

Old August 4th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ahh

Default Anti-theft radio code is a scam by Honda! Way around?

Anyway to get around not having to pay honda's scam of $90 to get the
anti-theft code for your radio? Replaced the battery in my car and now I
can't get the radio working unless I got the code. I no longer live in the
area I bought it. I have every piece of slip on this car including the new
buyers inpection check off list but don't have this card. I doubt they even
gave it to me. Honda and everyone knows that the odds are huge you are
going to have to dish out money to get the code in so many years but very
slim your radio is going to get stolen. This is pretty stupid on Hondas
part because when peoples batteries go bad it is the about when they are
ready to buy a new car, and this certainly doesn't add to peoples
satisfaction with honda automobile.

Old August 4th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

ahh wrote:

> Anyway to get around not having to pay honda's scam of $90 to get the
> anti-theft code for your radio? Replaced the battery in my car and now I
> can't get the radio working unless I got the code. I no longer live in the
> area I bought it. I have every piece of slip on this car including the new
> buyers inpection check off list but don't have this card. I doubt they even
> gave it to me. Honda and everyone knows that the odds are huge you are
> going to have to dish out money to get the code in so many years but very
> slim your radio is going to get stolen. This is pretty stupid on Hondas
> part because when peoples batteries go bad it is the about when they are
> ready to buy a new car, and this certainly doesn't add to peoples
> satisfaction with honda automobile.

--------------------------------------

Stay cool, breathe deep.

How can we help without knowing what year / model / country???

'Curly'
Old August 4th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ahh

> Stay cool, breathe deep.
>
> How can we help without knowing what year / model / country???
>
> 'Curly'

2000 Civic EX USA

Old August 4th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ahh

"> It's not a scam. It's a valid service charge, IF they have to pull the
> radio to get to the serial number.

Maybe not a scam but a stupid design. Takes no genius to figure very few
radios will get stolen but nearly all long term owners will need the code
eventually. The amount of money honda owers pay out for the code most
definately will exceed the cost of stolen radios. The word "Honda" written
on the radio is all the anti-theft protection I need on it.

Old August 4th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

ahh wrote:

> > Stay cool, breathe deep.
> >
> > How can we help without knowing what year / model / country???
> >
> > 'Curly'

> 2000 Civic EX USA

---------------------------------

The answer is in this document, in part. SEARCH this NG for many more
answers, like the various locations of the stickers,

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/x01-094e.pdf

It's for a CR-V, but may be the same.

Your Civic TSB's are he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/index.html

'Curly'
Old August 4th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_1_]

"ahh" > wrote in message

> "> It's not a scam. It's a valid service charge, IF they have to pull the
>> radio to get to the serial number.
>>

> Maybe not a scam but a stupid design. Takes no genius to figure very few
> radios will get stolen but nearly all long term owners will need the code
> eventually. The amount of money honda owers pay out for the code most
> definately will exceed the cost of stolen radios. The word "Honda"
> written on the radio is all the anti-theft protection I need on it.

They come from the factory on a small adhesive tag or label. Mine is
about 2 inches long and 3/4" high. It was stuck on the inside of the truck
lid. Sometimes they are affixed to the drivers door jam, or the inside of
the glove box. Look for a white tag, with a 5 digit number having no number
larger than 6.(the radio only has digits up to 6) Mine has another number
underneath the 5 digit one, something like "M97A289316". The dealer that
sets up the car normally sticks this tag on it somewhere. That said, my
dealer only wanted $35.00 to pull the radio and check, but we found the tag
first. I've been told that you can get it from Honda with the VIN number,
but as I said I never got that far.

Good Luck,

Al G

Old August 4th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Me[_2_]

I ahve a 2001 stock radio and if the radio off you press the #1 and 6
buttons at the same time (if I remember correctly) and while still holding
these buttons, press the power button of the radio, it will display a 6
digit code that you can than give the dealer and they will give you the
code. Once you have the code, write it down somewhere. Don't know if it
helps for 2000 models, but give it a try.

Old August 4th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_1_]

Old August 5th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"ahh" > wrote in
:

> Anyway to get around not having to pay honda's scam of $90 to get the
> anti-theft code for your radio?

Sure is.

See he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/radiocode.html

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 5th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_1_]

"ahh" > wrote in message
news :
: >
: > Stay cool, breathe deep.
: >
: > How can we help without knowing what year / model / country???
: >
: > 'Curly'
:
: 2000 Civic EX USA
:
I worried about this issue for a long time with my 2000 Accord SE. I got a
card with the radio code from the dealer when I bought the car new, but I
carried the card around in my wallet and eventually the ink the code was
printed in rubbed off. I looked in all the usual locations and some unusual
ones for the elusive sticker with the code on it, to no avail. I was
codeless.

I made sure to maintain power to the radio when I had my battery replaced a
few years ago and didn't lose the radio settings. But the original
radio/tape unit went south last year and I replaced it with an aftermarket
unit. Imagine my surprise when I looked all over the old unit and couldn't
even find a serial number! I called my dealer and he told me he that as far
as he could tell, those radio/tape units didn't have serial numbers. I have
heard that some dealers keep radio codes in their records for just this
situation, but this one didn't, so I'd have been up the creek if I'd really
needed the code.

Maybe all the worrying was for nothing. I don't know whether the original
unit would have worked if I had reinstalled it. I didn't. The aftermarket
unit is still in the car and still working fine, mostly.

BTW, I got a little thingie with a 9-volt battery terminal on one end and a
power point plug on the other. If you connect a battery to it and then plug
it into the power outlet ("cigarette lighter"), it keeps enough juice
running through the car's electronics that you can disconnect the battery
without disabling your stereo or losing your settings.

Paul

OEM Honda parts catalogs for sale Joe Honda 1 June 25th 06 09:00 PM
2003 Radio code ? BRUCE HASKIN Mazda 5 April 5th 06 07:08 AM
2003 Honda accord ex radio problem robert3100 Honda 6 November 19th 05 01:50 PM
BMW radio code problem ecgarza BMW 3 November 9th 05 10:42 PM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM