what gas for your accord?

Old December 7th 05, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default what gas for your accord?

Hello,
yesterday, I had the accord 2001 (37K miles) throttle
plate cleaned, but still noted uneven acceleration
after idling.

I had the job done since the gas pedal was a bit stiff
in the AM and also I've been noticing that the car accelerates
unevenly after a stop.

I usually fill the gas tank when it's only 1/4 left.

what gasoline is recommended? I've switched to using
premium gas (citgo/shell).

has techron helped others in the forum? If so, do you wait
till tank is empty to pour it and then do you fill it up with
gas?

Do you fill your tank when it's half full or less?

THANKS!

Old December 7th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"ap" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
> yesterday, I had the accord 2001 (37K miles) throttle
> plate cleaned, but still noted uneven acceleration
> after idling.
>
> I had the job done since the gas pedal was a bit stiff
> in the AM and also I've been noticing that the car accelerates
> unevenly after a stop.
>
> I usually fill the gas tank when it's only 1/4 left.
>
> what gasoline is recommended? I've switched to using
> premium gas (citgo/shell).
>
> has techron helped others in the forum? If so, do you wait
> till tank is empty to pour it and then do you fill it up with
> gas?
>
> Do you fill your tank when it's half full or less?
>
> THANKS!

well first off, is this a V6 or a 4 cyl accord? I believe both are made to
use regular gas (87 oct.) but if it's a V6 ya might get some benifit from
using super (89) but you definetly shouldn't need to use premium as the
engine wasn't designed for it. Best bet is to try a few tanks at one gas
station and see if anythign changes, if not try another. if still nothing
you can be pretty sure it's not the gas and possible something else is
wrong.

-Nick

Old December 7th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It's a v4 automatic. About 4 years old with 37,000 miles on it.

Old December 7th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

A sticky accelerator linkage is not necessairly linked to a dirty
throttle plate. Honda dealers have had a big push on selling a 3M
throttle body cleaner for several years - the tech who tried to sell me
the treatment could hardly keep a straight face when he tried to tell
me my engine needed cleaning. They get a pretty good spiff for selling
this "treatment".

Techron supposedly is very good for cleaning injectors. Maybe your
linkage could use a shot of a aerosol lubricant like tri flow.

Old December 7th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"ap" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
> yesterday, I had the accord 2001 (37K miles) throttle
> plate cleaned, but still noted uneven acceleration
> after idling.
>
> I had the job done since the gas pedal was a bit stiff
> in the AM and also I've been noticing that the car accelerates
> unevenly after a stop.
>
> I usually fill the gas tank when it's only 1/4 left.
>
> what gasoline is recommended? I've switched to using
> premium gas (citgo/shell).
>
> has techron helped others in the forum? If so, do you wait
> till tank is empty to pour it and then do you fill it up with
> gas?
>
> Do you fill your tank when it's half full or less?
>
> THANKS!

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...ls/techrongas/

BBTaco

Old December 8th 05, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"ap" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
> yesterday, I had the accord 2001 (37K miles) throttle
> plate cleaned, but still noted uneven acceleration
> after idling.
>
> I had the job done since the gas pedal was a bit stiff
> in the AM and also I've been noticing that the car accelerates
> unevenly after a stop.
>
> I usually fill the gas tank when it's only 1/4 left.
>
> what gasoline is recommended? I've switched to using
> premium gas (citgo/shell).
>
> has techron helped others in the forum? If so, do you wait
> till tank is empty to pour it and then do you fill it up with
> gas?
>
> Do you fill your tank when it's half full or less?

I usually fill when I get between E and a quarter tank. I typically run
87-octane or the 89-octane ethanol blend (because it's usually ten cents
cheaper than the 87-octane). I run the ethanol blend mostly in the winter
so I don't have to worry about water condensing in the fuel tank and
freezing up the fuel line. Otherwise, there's not much benefit to it
(other than paying U.S. farmers instead of mideast oil emirates), since it
has a lower efficiency than gasoline (I presume some of that inefficiency is
made up with advanced timing on the 89-octane).

Although newer Honda engines have knock sensor technology on them, I'm not
sure they can take full advantage of premium (e.g. - 91-octane) gasoline.
Premium gasoline will make your car harder to start, so that's something to
think about if you live in colder climates where cold starting can be an
issue.

My car has the I-4 engine, with 76,000 miles on and still runs great. I've
never added anything to the fuel, but did change out spark plugs at 50k
miles, and I change the air filter every 30k.
--
'02 Accord LX

Old December 8th 05, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

mrdancer said:
"Otherwise, there's not much benefit to it
(other than paying U.S. farmers instead of mideast oil emirates), since
it
has a lower efficiency than gasoline"
There is a bit more to it - Cornell U released a study indicating it
takes 129 units of energy to produce 100 units of ethanol - so not only
is it less efficient when burned, there is also a 29% production
penalty. So in the name of reducing pollution, ethanol actually is a
net contributor to pollution while providing welfare payments to
wealthy farmers and driving other 3rd world country farmers out of
growing corn cause they can not compete with US taxpayer subsidized
corn. Cash price is now less than what it was 40 years ago. Don't
blame the farmers - it is the frigging pols - most of them know the
whole ethanol program is a joke. end of rant