Drives me crazy

Old April 4th 05, 04:26 PM
MidnightDad

Default Drives me crazy

- drivers who unnecessarily brake when there is no
chance of a collision by someone cutting across their path well ahead of
them

- drivers who do something totally illegal and stupid and then look at you
like it's your fault

- drivers who think I'll think they have a really expensive car by sticking
on plastic fenders and junk

- drivers who think I'll think their car is really fast because they have a
loud exhaust

- drivers who stop behind someone making a left turn rather
than pass them on the right

- drivers who stop or slow down on an on-ramp just before
merging into traffic

- drivers who stick their nose out well past the stop line when making a
left turn so I have to swing wide to get around them when I'm making a left
into the street they're protruding out of

- drivers who leave 100 feet in front of them at a red light
and then creep up while waiting for the light to change

- drivers who when they're lost, drive at 10 mph and put
their turn signal on at every side street until they realize it's the wrong
street and then speed up again

- drivers who change the right-of-way rules just to be nice

- drivers who honk their horn at the person in front of them 1 millisecond
after the light turns green

- streets whose speed limit is set artificially low for political reasons

- speed bumps on public streets

- drivers who drive exactly at the speed limit

- affluent communities who habitually neglect their road maintenance in
order to slow down drivers

- drivers who ride the bumper of the person in front of them at a 4-way stop
rather than stopping themselves

- drivers who pause at stop signs rather than stopping

- drivers who can't wait to get around you and then slow down so you pass
them

- drivers who don't use turn signals (especially when I'm relying on them to
do so)

- drivers who use their turn signal after they've made a lane change

- school bus drivers who hold up traffic for a kid to finish his breakfast

- drivers who won't let me merge onto a highway

- drivers who dart into traffic rather than use the acceleration lane

- drivers who don't realize their high-beams are on as they approach me
(even after I flash mine at them)

- drivers who turn their high-beams on a second before they drive past me

- drivers who think they can drive faster than everyone else in heavy
traffic

- motorcycle drivers who think the lane divider is their personal driving
lane

- unrestrained children

- drivers who really slow down to 5 mph at an ez-pass toll booth

Old April 4th 05, 11:29 PM
The Office Jet

That's a long list of stuff i can't stand. I agree with most of them
on there.

Old April 5th 05, 01:27 AM
L Sternn

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:26:02 -0400, "MidnightDad"
> wrote:

>- drivers who stick their nose out well past the stop line when making a
>left turn so I have to swing wide to get around them when I'm making a left
>into the street they're protruding out of

I encountered a similar situation twice in the past week.

The slight difference is these idiots were turning out of a parking
lot.

>- drivers who change the right-of-way rules just to be nice

Last week when one of those idiots stuck their nose out well past the
stop line (their whole car, actually), the idiot in front of me,
stopped and let him go in front.

Both of us were turning left that time, but if we had been going
straight, we would have had to stop or t-bone the first idiot.

Since we were both turning left, there was no reason to stop for him.
Old April 5th 05, 02:03 AM
Old Wolf

MidnightDad wrote:

> - drivers who think I'll think their car is really fast because
> they have a loud exhaust

There's a grain of truth to that one.

> - drivers who stick their nose out well past the stop line
> when making a left turn so I have to swing wide to get around
> them when I'm making a left into the street they're protruding
> out of

The law says that they should stop where they can clearly see
approaching traffic; often the stop line is before this point.

> - drivers who leave 100 feet in front of them at a red light
> and then creep up while waiting for the light to change

Do people really do that? Pass them in the lane beside,
if possible.

> - drivers who drive exactly at the speed limit

I thought you were anti-speeding

Old April 5th 05, 02:57 AM
The Real Bev

L Sternn wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:26:02 -0400, "MidnightDad"
> > wrote:
>
> >- drivers who stick their nose out well past the stop line when making a

Define "stop line" please.

--
Cheers, Bev
=====================================
Old April 5th 05, 03:29 AM
L Sternn

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:57:14 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>L Sternn wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:26:02 -0400, "MidnightDad"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >- drivers who stick their nose out well past the stop line when making a

>Define "stop line" please.

Most intersectiosn with lights will have them. They are literally
lines which you are supposed to stop behind.

There were no literal lines in the cases I was talking about, although
I think it's understood that you're supposed to stop in the driveway
of the parking lot rather than smack dab in the middle of the lane in
the case of the more blatant of the two.

Old April 5th 05, 06:13 AM
The Real Bev

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> >Define "stop line" please.

> Turn in your licence TODAY.

OK, this is the thing that's also called the limit line, right? When waiting
to make a left turn you do NOT stop behind the stop/limit line and wait for
opposing traffic to clear because in some cases it will never clear and you
will never make your left turn unless you start into the intersection on the
red (as I've seen certain timid drivers do). Indeed, the people stacked up
behind you may attack your car with pitchforks and torches, drag you from
behind the wheel and stomp you to death if you wait through more than one
cycle.

The way to wait to make a left turn is to pull as far into the intersection as
possible given that you will probably have to yield half the space to the
opposing driver making HIS left turn. This way you AND THE CAR BEHIND YOU if
the intersection is wide enough will be able to get through on the current
cycle, and possibly even a third car if all are small.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 5th 05, 06:41 PM
Robert Briggs

Old Wolf wrote:
> MidnightDad wrote:

> > - drivers who stick their nose out well past the stop line
> > when making a left turn so I have to swing wide to get around
> > them when I'm making a left into the street they're protruding
> > out of

> The law says that they should stop where they can clearly see
> approaching traffic; often the stop line is before this point.

In this sort of situation, formally correct procedure is to *stop*
at the stop line and then edge forward slowly until you can see
clearly. A second stop is a distinct possibility.

MidnightDad ought to be able to tell the difference between a guy
who is nosing out just enough to get a clear view and an idiot who
is quite needlessly getting in the way of other traffic.
Old April 5th 05, 07:16 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:10:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>>Define "stop line" please.

>Turn in your licence TODAY.

So, let's hear *your* definition of the line you must stop behind.
It's not nearly as universal as you seem to think.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old April 6th 05, 12:04 AM
N E One

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:26:02 -0400, "MidnightDad"
> wrote:

>- drivers who leave 100 feet in front of them at a red light
>and then creep up while waiting for the light to change

methinks you're exagerrating a bit, but let me ask you this:

Do you REALLY want to stop for the red light or would you rather hit
the intersection just as it turns green with your speed slightly below
the limit?

It's really a simple concept and one that really hit home when I was
trying to make the timing of lights work to my advantage.

Around here, there are signs saying that the lights are timed for 40
MPH (the speed limit), and they ARE timed for 40 MPH.

The only problem is that usually, you still have to stop because even
though you hit the intersection right when the light turns green,
there are a whole bunch of other cars who didn't pay attention to the
"lights timed" signs and sped so they would have the pleasure of
stopping at the red light.

Ideally, traffic would flow along at a constant 40, rather than
varying between 0 and 60. It would save lots of time, fuel, cut down
on pollution and wear-and-tear on your car.