New muffler for the 'Teg!

Old July 22nd 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default New muffler for the 'Teg!

Last week I got a new OEM muffler from the dealer.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_muffler_07.jpg

How much did it cost me? Not one red cent. Not for parts, not for labor.

I originally had this thing installed in 1999 for $500 (yes! OW!), after
several unpleasant experiences with aftermarket mufflers from such places
as Midas.

The 1999 OEM muffler came with a "lifetime" warranty. I used that warranty
four years later, in 2003, and have used it once again in 2007.

In probably the harshest automotive climate in North America
-- salt-ridden northeastern Canada -- my mufflers are regularly lasting
four years.

In this case, the tailpipes were falling off. The muffler and other piping
were fine. No problem for the dealership, which replaced the assembly
without complaint.

The "muffler" is one piece from the join just ahead of, and inboard of, the
rear wheel to the taipipes.

It's funny. I've driven probably 300-400 miles since it was installed, and
the tailpipes aren't even black yet.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 22nd 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

My 98 civic is still riding with the original exhaust... I'm in Winterpeg...
Just waiting for it to go and will do the same you did, OEM all the way.

Old July 22nd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> Last week I got a new OEM muffler from the dealer.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_muffler_07.jpg
>
> How much did it cost me? Not one red cent. Not for parts, not for labor.
>
> I originally had this thing installed in 1999 for $500 (yes! OW!), after
> several unpleasant experiences with aftermarket mufflers from such places
> as Midas.
>
> The 1999 OEM muffler came with a "lifetime" warranty. I used that warranty
> four years later, in 2003, and have used it once again in 2007.

i'm right there with you - that's why i buy oem honda mufflers. $20
extra, but lifetime replacements? don't need to be a math genius to
figure that one out.

> In probably the harshest automotive climate in North America
> -- salt-ridden northeastern Canada -- my mufflers are regularly lasting
> four years.
>
> In this case, the tailpipes were falling off. The muffler and other piping
> were fine. No problem for the dealership, which replaced the assembly
> without complaint.
>
> The "muffler" is one piece from the join just ahead of, and inboard of, the
> rear wheel to the taipipes.
>
> It's funny. I've driven probably 300-400 miles since it was installed, and
> the tailpipes aren't even black yet.

then you're not lead-booting it enough! it'll blacken up quickly enough
with a bit of full throttle.
Old July 22nd 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:42:03 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>Last week I got a new OEM muffler from the dealer.
>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_muffler_07.jpg
>
>How much did it cost me? Not one red cent. Not for parts, not for labor.
>
>I originally had this thing installed in 1999 for $500 (yes! OW!), after
>several unpleasant experiences with aftermarket mufflers from such places
>as Midas.
>
>The 1999 OEM muffler came with a "lifetime" warranty. I used that warranty
>four years later, in 2003, and have used it once again in 2007.
>
>In probably the harshest automotive climate in North America
>-- salt-ridden northeastern Canada -- my mufflers are regularly lasting
>four years.
>
>In this case, the tailpipes were falling off. The muffler and other piping
>were fine. No problem for the dealership, which replaced the assembly
>without complaint.
>
>The "muffler" is one piece from the join just ahead of, and inboard of, the
>rear wheel to the taipipes.
>
>It's funny. I've driven probably 300-400 miles since it was installed, and
>the tailpipes aren't even black yet.

Alas, had to finally break down and replace the original muffler on my
'90 accord this summer. Fortunately, the balance of the exhaust
system is still in fine shape.

$79 at midas. Suspect this one will last the remaining life of the
vehicle.

Frank
Old July 22nd 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:42:03 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Last week I got a new OEM muffler from the dealer.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_muffler_07.jpg
>
> How much did it cost me? Not one red cent. Not for parts, not for labor.
>
> I originally had this thing installed in 1999 for $500 (yes! OW!), after
> several unpleasant experiences with aftermarket mufflers from such places
> as Midas.
>
> The 1999 OEM muffler came with a "lifetime" warranty. I used that warranty
> four years later, in 2003, and have used it once again in 2007.

Um, Toyota has been doing this for 15 years...

For $150!!!!! (It may be more now, but I had one done for $150, and
another done 3 years ago on a different car for $165)

My Mom replaced the exhaust on her '86 Camry 8 years ago, but she only
drives 4-7 miles at a time, so the pipe rusts from the inside. She just
had her 2nd free replacement done!!

Old July 22nd 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 07:13:45 -0500, Frank Boettcher wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:42:03 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>>Last week I got a new OEM muffler from the dealer.
>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_muffler_07.jpg
>>
>>How much did it cost me? Not one red cent. Not for parts, not for labor.
>>
>>I originally had this thing installed in 1999 for $500 (yes! OW!), after
>>several unpleasant experiences with aftermarket mufflers from such places
>>as Midas.
>>
>>The 1999 OEM muffler came with a "lifetime" warranty. I used that
>>warranty four years later, in 2003, and have used it once again in 2007.
>>
>>In probably the harshest automotive climate in North America --
>>salt-ridden northeastern Canada -- my mufflers are regularly lasting four
>>years.
>>
>>In this case, the tailpipes were falling off. The muffler and other
>>piping were fine. No problem for the dealership, which replaced the
>>assembly without complaint.
>>
>>The "muffler" is one piece from the join just ahead of, and inboard of,
>>the rear wheel to the taipipes.
>>
>>It's funny. I've driven probably 300-400 miles since it was installed,
>>and the tailpipes aren't even black yet.

> Alas, had to finally break down and replace the original muffler on my '90
> accord this summer. Fortunately, the balance of the exhaust system is
> still in fine shape.
>
> $79 at midas. Suspect this one will last the remaining life of the
> vehicle.
>
> Frank

I wouldn't count on it. Depending on your driving, it may rust within a
year.

Of course, what happened to me may happen to you: had them replace the
exhaust on my car about 15 years ago with a "Lifetime" muffler. 18 months
later, the pipes were rusting out! (Original Toyota exhuast went 10 years!)
I went back to have them replaced and was faced with a bill for $125! Huh?
What happened to the "Lifetime Warranty"?

Oh...the *MUFFLER* has a Lifetime Warranty! The pipes, clamps, etc have NO
WARRANTY! So, while the rest of the exhaust crumbles in 1-2.5 years. the
muffler stays shiny and new for years and years and years!

Old July 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> Last week I got a new OEM muffler from the dealer.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_muffler_07.jpg
>
> How much did it cost me? Not one red cent. Not for parts, not for labor.
>
> I originally had this thing installed in 1999 for $500 (yes! OW!), after
> several unpleasant experiences with aftermarket mufflers from such places
> as Midas.
>
> The 1999 OEM muffler came with a "lifetime" warranty. I used that warranty
> four years later, in 2003, and have used it once again in 2007.
>
> In probably the harshest automotive climate in North America
> -- salt-ridden northeastern Canada -- my mufflers are regularly lasting
> four years.
>
> In this case, the tailpipes were falling off. The muffler and other piping
> were fine. No problem for the dealership, which replaced the assembly
> without complaint.
>
> The "muffler" is one piece from the join just ahead of, and inboard of, the
> rear wheel to the taipipes.
>
> It's funny. I've driven probably 300-400 miles since it was installed, and
> the tailpipes aren't even black yet.

Now for the tough question... How much longer before the car rusts out
from under you?

<G>

JT

Old July 23rd 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

with all that rustproofing goop, he doesn't have to worry about it. That
whats holding it together! just kiddin...

I seriously wish I had kept up the rustproofing on my 98 civic, but so far so
good, just a little rust on, you guessed it... the rear wheel wells. They
had these stupid rubber strips in there from the factory that kept all the
road grit and salt sitting right on that ledge all the way around the wheel
well. Why, pray tell, did they do that?!?!?

Old July 23rd 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in message
> with all that rustproofing goop, he doesn't have to worry about it. That
> whats holding it together! just kiddin...
>
> I seriously wish I had kept up the rustproofing on my 98 civic, but so far
> so
> good, just a little rust on, you guessed it... the rear wheel wells. They
> had these stupid rubber strips in there from the factory that kept all the
> road grit and salt sitting right on that ledge all the way around the
> wheel
> well. Why, pray tell, did they do that?!?!?

Those stupid rubber strips were probably dealer installed and not factory
installed.

-Dave

Old July 23rd 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

Well I see them on pretty much all civics and integras of that vintage....
bad bad design!

They even replaced them at the dealership when I had an accident.