why change shifter bushings??

Old August 18th 05, 08:47 AM
Ersin Deger

Default why change shifter bushings??

Hello folks,

A general question to get some valuable feedback/ideas:

Why would one want to change shifter bushings? I guess i am asking this
because i want to eliminate the "not-exactness" of the change of gears
and/or decrease the effort to put it in a specific gear and/or just make
it feel more easy to change gears and make it as much fun to drive as a
friend's Accord (the gearbox feels less "bony" and much more sporty/easy
in his).

Thanks in advance,

Old August 18th 05, 08:53 PM
T L via CarKB.com

I don't quite understan your question. Why change shifter bushings? To
remove the slack in the shifter of course! The Nylon bushings right
underneath your shifter are probably worn right out. Get some new ones from
honda for $10, put them in, and its like you are driving a totally different
car.

Old August 19th 05, 12:20 AM
Ersin Deger

Below quoted ( i.e. my previous e-mail) is bad expression on my behalf...

It should read "...I guess i am **planning on changing them** because ...".
Sorry.

I still am curious though. I am planning on replacing the shifters to make
the drive more crisp in a sense. Does that make any sense?

Old August 19th 05, 01:29 AM
TeGGeR®

Ersin Deger > wrote in
:

> Hello folks,
>
> A general question to get some valuable feedback/ideas:
>
> Why would one want to change shifter bushings? I guess i am asking this
> because i want to eliminate the "not-exactness" of the change of gears
> and/or decrease the effort to put it in a specific gear and/or just make
> it feel more easy to change gears and make it as much fun to drive as a
> friend's Accord (the gearbox feels less "bony" and much more sporty/easy
> in his).

You would replace the shifter bushings if your shift lever buzzes, or feels
unusually sloppy.

See this sketch:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/shifter_sketch.jpg

and:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/shifter.jpg

I haven't got around to making a Web page for the bushing replacement I did
last month, but you can look at each individual image he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/bushing_kit/
Once I've got them edited and Photoshopped, they'll make more sense.

From the above, it should be apparent that the shifter assembly is secured
left-to-right by the rubber donuts that I've drawn in black in my sketch.
They are the things that keep the two clevises from rattling against each
other. If they perish, the lever portion will not be firmly against the
tranny portion, and there will be about 1/8" of play at the join between
the two. For a while, the four O-rings on the yellow sleeve will keep
things quiet, but eventually they will wear as well.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 19th 05, 04:59 PM
Bruce

Tegger,

Did you get the replacement bushing kit on the internet, or at your
dealer?
I did a quick google search and can't seem to find them ...

Thanks,
-Bruce

Old August 19th 05, 07:50 PM
TeGGeR®

"Bruce" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Tegger,
>
> Did you get the replacement bushing kit on the internet, or at your
> dealer?
> I did a quick google search and can't seem to find them ...

At the dealer. As far as I know, it's a dealer-only item.

The kit was about $30 or so.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Stuck Shifter on 1994 Mustang [email protected] Ford Mustang 7 August 18th 05 04:34 AM
Shifter Bushing Randall Brink VW air cooled 13 February 24th 05 03:10 AM
Shifter rod damaged on Golf? Keith Murphy VW water cooled 7 October 5th 04 04:02 PM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 05:45 AM