Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

Old July 3rd 20, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

Hank Rogers:

Calibration every 2-3 years might be enough for a gauge used by a consumer,
esp. if they invested $50 or more in the gauge. I paid mid-$40s for the aforementioned
Deluxe Longacre, and I'd like to have it checked new. Would probably hold its
setting for 4 years the way I coddle my gauges!
Old July 3rd 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hank Rogers addendum:

Where DOES one get a decent gauge calibrated?

And alsom who in this day and age still has a 'master gauge' to check one's own against?
Old July 3rd 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The Real Bev:

"thing in the corner"

Did you get knocked across the room?
Old July 3rd 20, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Longacre Racing #52-52003 Deluxe analoge Tire Gauge: http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...eluxe-2-%C2%BD

1. Unboxing - Typical Longacre retail hook-top clear shell, with card in back, gauge face surrounded
by its own hose. Two foam spacers inside to keep things stationary, one with a slit containing the
supplied optional brass ball-chuck. Which, by the way, weighs more than half of what my Accu Gage
S60X does! These guys don't play regarding build quality!

2. Use. Last night, I overinflated my car's tires to about 35psi. Early this morning, I bled them down,
from 34psi to vehicle recommended 32. Valve smartly attached to tire valve, but I noticed something
different with this gauge: the needle moved slower up to the reading, not 'snapping to' as with my other
clock face gauges. This has to do with the "shock absorption" Longacre built in to their Bourdon tube
mechanism, to avoid over-stressing the mechanism.

3. Bleeding: Bleeding is commensurate with how hard I pressed the bleeder button on this gauge. No
surprises, like suddenly finding myself 2psi BELOW my target. The needle drops down 10-15psi
during bleed, then slowly returns to the newest reading.

4. Readability: As with any analog dial gauge, just be facing it square on, so you'll hit your mark every
time.

The gauge, as true to literature, holds the last pressure indefinitely. But, you should dump it(bleed out
that last reading) before storing it, to relieve stress on the inner movement, just as you would dial down
a knob-style torque wrench before storage.

5. Accuracy/Repeatability: The Deluxe reads half psi higher than my Accu Gage, and 1psi lower than
my Longacre Basic Digital(again: get what you pay for!), and about 0.2-3psi lower than my DIYCO
Pro Digital backlit. And yes, I can come back again and get the same reading on a tire.
The ultimate verdict on accuracy will be when I take the Deluxe to a garage and check it against one
of theirs.

So it looks like my new 'go-to's are this Longacre Deluxe Analog, with 1 and half psi hash marks on its
big 2.5" dial, and the DIYCO digital, resolving down to one-tenth psi, or bar or kPa if you prefer.

I suspect both of my digitals read a tad higher owing to their being electronic in nature, and battery operated,
and to no other factor. I just have to be more careful using them, that Longacre digital. Set my tires to
34psi indicated with that one, which will read 32psi on the Accu Gage, and 32.5psi on the new Analog
Longacre, and 33.0 cold on the DIYCO Pro.
Old July 7th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

UPDATE
Longacre #52003 - 'Deluxe' Analog Tire Gauge

I took the above, plus an older Milton shirt-pocket gauge that I found in my garage
and cleaned all the grime off of, to my local mechanic to cross-check against his
Astro 3018(? looks like one anyway) inflator gauge.

Results:

My Honda calls for 32.0psi cold in its tires.

After driving just under 1mile to my mechanic's:

Astro 3018 showed my right front as 32.5psi 3x.

Longacre #52-52003: Approx. 32.6-7 psi, twice. 0.2psi over Astro.

Milton shirt pocket/pencil: 34.2-3ish, twice. 1.7ish psi over Astro.

So for absolute accuracy, the Longacre 52003 dial-face was worth the $45+ I
invested in it. No need to mentally compensate with that one!

I know that my digital Longacre reads one full pound/sq. inch over the analog
Longacre, so 1.4-psi compensation required.

My digital DIYCO D1 Elite reads about 0.3psi above the analog Longacre, or
about half-psi above the garage Astro. So 1.0psi compensation there. My only
pet peeve with the DIYCO is it takes 3-5sec. to get a reading: 31.9.....32.1...
32.3! Batteries new in both digital gauges.

So:
Longacre #52-52003 Deluxe analog is my home reference, with the DIYCO
in second place.

My Longacre Basic Digital reads quickly, but is 1.4psi higher than the garage's
Astro, but I must remember to compensate.

My old Accu Gauge: about a hair below the Astro 3018, but better to slightly
over than underinflate.

The Milton pocket pencil? EMERGENCY use only, at nearly 2psi over
garage. The index rod slides so easily on it and lots of wiggle, so I suspect
it's really old and probably worn out.

I hope the above reference tests will guide others' future tire pressure gauge
purchasing decisions!