93 Sundance will not shift into any gear.

Old June 28th 05, 04:31 AM
Shaun Q

Default 93 Sundance will not shift into any gear.

Can anyone help me with this?

My 93 Sundance was backing up today and after I tried to shift (it's a
manual trans) into first, I was unable to push it into gear. I'm
unable to push it into any gear whatsoever -- 1 thru 5 or reverse. It
starts to move that way but don't go past the point where it would
click into gear. It will move side to side, but won't go into the gear
position.

Any ideas on what's wrong? How would I fix this?

Thanks!
Shaun

Old June 28th 05, 05:52 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Shaun Q wrote:

> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> My 93 Sundance was backing up today and after I tried to shift (it's a
> manual trans) into first, I was unable to push it into gear. I'm unable
> to push it into any gear whatsoever -- 1 thru 5 or reverse. It starts
> to move that way but don't go past the point where it would click into
> gear. It will move side to side, but won't go into the gear position.
> Any ideas on what's wrong? How would I fix this?

You've probably got a bad (kinked) shifter cable or two. The failure point
is usually at the shifter end. If you'll slide the shifter boot down, you
can lift the tab that holds on the shift knob, then lift the knob off the
shift stick, then lift up the boot. Now you can see the shifter mechanism.
From there you can inspect for evidence of bent/binding cables. If you see
nothing, the damage is probably elsewhere in the cable(s). On the other
hand, you may find that something has gotten into the shifter mechanism
and is physically blocking it, though this is not as likely.
Old June 28th 05, 02:38 PM

Shaun Q wrote:
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> My 93 Sundance was backing up today and after I tried to shift (it's a
> manual trans) into first, I was unable to push it into gear. I'm
> unable to push it into any gear whatsoever -- 1 thru 5 or reverse. It
> starts to move that way but don't go past the point where it would
> click into gear. It will move side to side, but won't go into the gear
> position.
>
> Any ideas on what's wrong? How would I fix this?
>
> Thanks!
> Shaun

Since it is a manual transmission, does the problem occur with the
engine off? If so, it is probably a shifter linkage problem, as Dan
suggests. If you can shift it with the engine off, your clutch may not
be disengaging. This can be caused by a fluid leak, or a bad master or
slave cylinder. I am not sure whether the clutch on this model is
hydraulic or mechanical.

-Kirk Matheson

Old June 28th 05, 05:42 PM

I didn't know that.

Just curious. Is the gear shifter also cable operated, or integrated
into the transmission?

I have not owned a manual transmission car for many years, so I haven't
kept up on it.

-Kirk Matheson

Old June 29th 05, 06:03 AM
Shaun Q

I'm getting some feedback from people saying it's a adjustment that
needs to be made... yet I'm being told that it's impossible to adjust
on this model and that the entire clutch would need to be replaced....
Any thoughts?

Old June 29th 05, 04:43 PM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Shaun Q" > writes:

> I'm getting some feedback from people saying it's a adjustment that
> needs to be made... yet I'm being told that it's impossible to adjust
> on this model and that the entire clutch would need to be replaced....
> Any thoughts?

1) Get a FSM so you can get real information.

2) Did Dan's message on how to inspect (not adjust) the cables get
through to your server? If not, you can find it at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ce162eed476e32

3) Clutch? Why would the clutch be involved? Or does the problem
only arise when the engine is running (like Kirk asked earlier)?
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old June 29th 05, 04:52 PM

Shaun Q wrote:
> I'm getting some feedback from people saying it's a adjustment that
> needs to be made... yet I'm being told that it's impossible to adjust
> on this model and that the entire clutch would need to be replaced....
> Any thoughts?

If the problem is with the clutch not fully disengaging, I cannot
imagine there not being a way to adjust it. Usually, the clutch needs
replacement because it gets worn, and starts slipping.

There is most likely a lever near the bell housing. Have someone
operate the clutch while you look around the bell housing (engine off,
of course). You should see a cable moving a lever. That is most likely
where the adjustment point would be. There may also be a clamp that
holds the cable in place. If the clamp is loose and has allowed the
cable to slip, that can cause the clutch to not fully disengage.

-Kirk Matheson

Gear shift lock out 007623 Honda 2 June 6th 05 07:04 PM
1999 300M gear shift recall JR Chrysler 29 April 15th 05 07:56 PM
different gear shift rod length? Marco VW air cooled 4 October 23rd 04 08:40 PM
Shifter Cable Replaced .. now 2nd gear hard to shift .. Cuong Duong Saturn 1 October 2nd 04 05:33 AM