Why is Race getting bad reviews?

Old November 2nd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

Default Why is Race getting bad reviews?

I spent last evening with it and I think it's great. If you like GTR2 how
could you dislike Race? Not sure if it's because of the smaller cars but
the *feel* is terrific. One other thing I did differently was used the
TrackIR with Race and I don't normally with GTR2. I think that will change
though.

I would have preferred an online demo but I was really having fun against
myself in the ghost car.

Mitch

Old November 2nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Mitch_A wrote:

> I spent last evening with it and I think it's great. If you like GTR2 how
> could you dislike Race? Not sure if it's because of the smaller cars but
> the *feel* is terrific. One other thing I did differently was used the
> TrackIR with Race and I don't normally with GTR2. I think that will change
> though.
>
> I would have preferred an online demo but I was really having fun against
> myself in the ghost car.

I think the demo is terrible. Time trial mode is maybe the only mode I
have absolutely no interest in, and have never even touched in GTR2.
The track that's included is unfinished. The default setups are
horrible, and gave me a bad first impression of the physics. The
default.cam and plr files are encrypted. The sound is mediocre at
best.

After tweaking a few things I don't think the physics are particularly
bad, and I'm more than likely going to import the final product, but
it's not a very good demo. Most of the serious simracers (and sim
developers) I converse with on a regular basis didn't even bother
finishing a lap before uninstalling it, but I tend to think that's more
down to seriously bizarre setups (11 degrees of caster? I can only
assume that was a flawed attempt at fixing the problems with the rest
of the setups) than the actual physics model.

Old November 3rd 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Milo Johnson

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Mitch_A wrote:
>
>> I spent last evening with it and I think it's great. If you like GTR2
>> how
>> could you dislike Race? Not sure if it's because of the smaller cars but
>> the *feel* is terrific. One other thing I did differently was used the
>> TrackIR with Race and I don't normally with GTR2. I think that will
>> change
>> though.
>>
>> I would have preferred an online demo but I was really having fun against
>> myself in the ghost car.

> I think the demo is terrible. Time trial mode is maybe the only mode I
> have absolutely no interest in, and have never even touched in GTR2.
> The track that's included is unfinished. The default setups are
> horrible, and gave me a bad first impression of the physics. The
> default.cam and plr files are encrypted. The sound is mediocre at
> best.
>
> After tweaking a few things I don't think the physics are particularly
> bad, and I'm more than likely going to import the final product, but
> it's not a very good demo. Most of the serious simracers (and sim
> developers) I converse with on a regular basis didn't even bother
> finishing a lap before uninstalling it, but I tend to think that's more
> down to seriously bizarre setups (11 degrees of caster? I can only
> assume that was a flawed attempt at fixing the problems with the rest
> of the setups) than the actual physics model.

I agree completely with Jason. What could be a very good game is going to
turn some people off with the poorest excuse for a demo I've seen in a long
time.
MILO

Old November 3rd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

Milo Johnson wrote:
> I agree completely with Jason. What could be a very good game is going to
> turn some people off with the poorest excuse for a demo I've seen in a long
> time.

And I agree with Milo

I don't rule out getting Race someday, but I probably won't be an early
buyer - waiting from some user reports from the finished product first.

Mr. S.
Old November 3rd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Mr. Sylvestre wrote:
> Milo Johnson wrote:
>> I agree completely with Jason. What could be a very good game is going
>> to turn some people off with the poorest excuse for a demo I've seen
>> in a long time.

> And I agree with Milo
>
> I don't rule out getting Race someday, but I probably won't be an early
> buyer - waiting from some user reports from the finished product first.

Same here. Unlike Mitch it is the lack of feel that I dislike most. It
feels somehow disconnected. I have tried following the tweaking
suggestions with little success. The whole presentation feels weak to
me. Perhaps the full version will be better but there isn't much time
for changes.

In contrast I tried the new ETCC03 mod for rFactor and this felt much
better, plus the car models look more realistic IMHO. This looks more
likely to provide my touring car fix right now!

I guess it goes to show how subjective these things can be yet RACE
seems a poor sister product to GTR2 based on this demo.

Cheers
Tony
Old November 3rd 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
timmy thompson

Tony Rickard wrote:
> Mr. Sylvestre wrote:
>> Milo Johnson wrote:
>>> I agree completely with Jason. What could be a very good game is
>>> going to turn some people off with the poorest excuse for a demo I've
>>> seen in a long time.

>> And I agree with Milo
>>
>> I don't rule out getting Race someday, but I probably won't be an
>> early buyer - waiting from some user reports from the finished product
>> first.

> Same here. Unlike Mitch it is the lack of feel that I dislike most. It
> feels somehow disconnected. I have tried following the tweaking
> suggestions with little success. The whole presentation feels weak to
> me. Perhaps the full version will be better but there isn't much time
> for changes.
>
> In contrast I tried the new ETCC03 mod for rFactor and this felt much
> better, plus the car models look more realistic IMHO. This looks more
> likely to provide my touring car fix right now!
>
> I guess it goes to show how subjective these things can be yet RACE
> seems a poor sister product to GTR2 based on this demo.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

WATCH OUT GUYS HE WILL CALL YOU LIBERALS!
Old November 4th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

timmy thompson wrote:

> WATCH OUT GUYS HE WILL CALL YOU LIBERALS!

Haven't you found a better god damned place to troll yet?

Old November 4th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

This is a common issue I've had with every ISI based game. Some worse than
others. The feeling you are above the surfact of the track, and any
traction you get is phoney and deceiving.

-Larry

.uk...

Old November 4th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

I don't have that problem since SCGT GTR had some low speed issues but
since rF I can smell/feel the sticky rubber/asphalt as I drive em around.
GTR2 best yet IMO. Even the slightest setup change and I can feel it. It
takes a few laps to get everything up to temp and some hot lappers have
problems in that respect

Mitch

Old November 4th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

We will just have to disagree then Tony Not the first time eh?

On your suggestion here I d/l'd ETCC03 1.11 and I must say its a very nice
mod but not nearly the caliber of the Race Demo. ETCC feels like Im running
on glass behind a singer sewing machine While the Race Demo is very
limited and seems an early build it at least conveys to me that Im driving
an actual Race Car witha real suspension on a race track with elevation. On
the looks side Id say either is more than adequate for me its the physics I
want

Oh well I do hope they a good job on th eAI in Race

I could also make the case Race will be better for use in a league for the
simple fact Race encrypts many of the files that some take unfair advantage
of in online races. Beyond that it would also eliminate the rFactor
car/track Dance that we must do just about every weekend to race.

Mitch

"Tony Rickard"