1993 Civic VX won't start

Old November 14th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default 1993 Civic VX won't start

On 11/13/2011 10:16 AM, Tinkerer wrote:
> "jim > wrote in message

>>> Is that the same kind of transmission that was originally (this side of
>>> the
>>> pond) on Daf cars and later appeared on Ford Fiestas and Volvo 340s. It
>>> had two drive belts that ran on self adjusting cones to change the ratio
>>> in
>>> line with vehicle speed? If I remember correctly it still ran fine if
>>> one
>>> of the belts snapped.

>> yes, except it only has one [linked steel] belt driving a normal diff.
>>
>> the daf and volvo transmission you're describing did indeed run fine on
>> just one belt, in emergency. with two however, its performance in rain,
>> snow and mud was superb. all the advantages of a "limited slip diff"
>> without the complication or expense.
>>
>> i'm pretty sure the frod transmission uses just one belt like the honda.
>> it's a common and reliable system popular with most manufacturers in most
>> markets except the usa.

> Thanks for confirming it for me. Thought it sounded familiar. I read
> somewhere that Daf invented it and the patent went when they sold out to
> Volvo who then licenced others to use it (for a profit of course). Don't
> know if that is the case but it seems probable.

it may be possible, but i doubt it's probable. there's almost no
similarity between the daf and honda systems. and i believe that the
moving cone gearing concept had been used on conveyor belts decades
before daf adapted it to automotive use, so i doubt honda or anyone else
would pay to license.

afaicfo, the main delay in adoption was reliability. daf belts used to
break regularly, and most people considered this to be a barrier to
ownership since the dealer used to charge so much for replacement. [i
think it was in fact a common industrial belt, so easy and cheap to get
if you knew where to look].

talking with people here in the u.s., they're very prejudiced against
cvt's, citing "but what if it breaks" as their reason. fact is, cvt's
are no less reliable and no harder to fix than traditional automatics,
and can in fact be more reliable since the controls are simpler. i
talked with a honda cvt owner a while back that had 300k on his, and
apart from the factory clutch recall, had had no issues with it. i
don't think he ever realized what kind of transmission it was and so
just drove it without worrying.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 14th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tinkerer[_2_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> On 11/13/2011 10:16 AM, Tinkerer wrote:

>>> yes, except it only has one [linked steel] belt driving a normal diff.
>>>
>>> the daf and volvo transmission you're describing did indeed run fine on
>>> just one belt, in emergency. with two however, its performance in rain,
>>> snow and mud was superb. all the advantages of a "limited slip diff"
>>> without the complication or expense.
>>>
>>> i'm pretty sure the frod transmission uses just one belt like the honda.
>>> it's a common and reliable system popular with most manufacturers in
>>> most
>>> markets except the usa.

>> Thanks for confirming it for me. Thought it sounded familiar. I read
>> somewhere that Daf invented it and the patent went when they sold out to
>> Volvo who then licenced others to use it (for a profit of course).
>> Don't
>> know if that is the case but it seems probable.

> it may be possible, but i doubt it's probable. there's almost no
> similarity between the daf and honda systems. and i believe that the
> moving cone gearing concept had been used on conveyor belts decades before
> daf adapted it to automotive use, so i doubt honda or anyone else would
> pay to license.
>
> afaicfo, the main delay in adoption was reliability. daf belts used to
> break regularly, and most people considered this to be a barrier to
> ownership since the dealer used to charge so much for replacement. [i
> think it was in fact a common industrial belt, so easy and cheap to get if
> you knew where to look].
>
> talking with people here in the u.s., they're very prejudiced against
> cvt's, citing "but what if it breaks" as their reason. fact is, cvt's are
> no less reliable and no harder to fix than traditional automatics, and can
> in fact be more reliable since the controls are simpler. i talked with a
> honda cvt owner a while back that had 300k on his, and apart from the
> factory clutch recall, had had no issues with it. i don't think he ever
> realized what kind of transmission it was and so just drove it without
> worrying.

Interesting. Thanks for that.
--
Tinkerer