New dodge van???

Old December 5th 05, 02:55 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default New dodge van???

Hello.

My 1991 dodge caravan has bitten the dust with almost
180,000 miles on it.
I purchased it used 1997 with about 85,000 miles on it,
and after fixing some initial problems on it(mostly with computer boards), I
had a nice sound dependable vehicle, which my family loved.
We left the rear seat out, and really banged around with it. Only
got about 13 to 15 miles per gallon(had the 6 cylinder) but loved it.
It just me and my wife now(kids have their own vehicles) and
the car has died and is gone.
We dont drive very much anymore, maybee six thousand miles a
year, mostly to go shopping, errands, pick up wife at work, etc.
We really like the room of a van, and was considering getting
basically a stock 4 cylinder dodge caravan. The only option, I really need
is cruise control.
The caravan with the rebates are almost down to 15,000
dollars.
Okay, the point I am asking, is if a new 4 cylinder dodge
caravan, is so a bad car these days, that I will have nothing but headaches
and regret buying the vehicle?
We have considered, for another five thousand or so, going with
the highlander, which is a very highly rated vehicle, but five thousand
less, and all the extra room, would be nice. And the driver side room, is a
bit more roomy, for my midsection, that seems to expand as I have gotten
older.
So, would I really be buying a big headache, or would I be
picking myself up a new bargain, especially the way I drive?

Thanks for listening.

Old December 5th 05, 05:07 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:55:42 +0000, J.Lef wrote:

> So, would I really be buying a big headache, or would I be
> picking myself up a new bargain, especially the way I drive?

Why do you think it would be a headache? They're excellent vehicles.

Linux Registered User #327951

Old December 5th 05, 05:15 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

> Why do you think it would be a headache? They're excellent vehicles.
>
> --
> Thanks for replying. The reason I said this, is that mostly
> what I read and hear these days , is that the caravans are outdated, and
> unreliable. I dont care if its outdated, I just need the basic
> transportation. Reviews are lousy(especially on the four cylinder), I hear
> about bad trannies, axle joints, breaks, sytem leaks, suspension problems,
> and this on some cars that are only weeks old. That is my apprenhension.

If the vehicle would be like my one that just went bad, I would
be a happy camper. For 15,000 its just what I need, but I do need
dependability and that was my concern.

Much regards

Old December 5th 05, 06:54 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

>Dan C wrote:
>Why do you think it would be a headache? They're excellent vehicles.

He is asking if it would be a headache because of the 4 cylinder.

>J.Lef wrote
>Okay, the point I am asking, is if a new 4 cylinder dodge
>caravan, is so a bad car these days, that I will have nothing but headaches
>and regret buying the vehicle?

Lets put it this way, you would not want to purchase the 4 cyl. used with
about 50,000 "around town" miles on it.

>We dont drive very much anymore, maybe six thousand miles a year.

That should last you 9 years or more. Why not just opt for the 6 cyl. and
save yourself the gamble and have a better resale? -J

Old December 5th 05, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

>>We dont drive very much anymore, maybe six thousand miles a year.

> That should last you 9 years or more. Why not just opt for the 6 cyl. and
> save yourself the gamble and have a better resale? -J
>
> Thanks for responding. So if I am to understand, the weak point
> of a new dodge caravan, would be the 4 cylinder engine. If that is the
> major sore point, I can always option up to the six cylinder(which I had
> in the caravan that just died)

Other wise, you figure at 6000 easy driven
miles a year, this vehicle should be pretty dependable??

Thanks

Old December 6th 05, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

I have had both 4 and 6 cylinder engines (Caravans since 1986) and my
advice is go for a 6. You will probably get better mileage (or no less)
and if you have AC it is really a noticeable difference.

Ed

Old December 6th 05, 04:59 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"EdO" > wrote in message
> I have had both 4 and 6 cylinder engines (Caravans since 1986) and my
> advice is go for a 6. You will probably get better mileage (or no

less)
> and if you have AC it is really a noticeable difference.
>
> Ed

VERY true. The 3.3s that I ran averaged 22 miles per gallon with a LOAD
in them. My BIL gets about 18 with the 4 cylinder and it has been a
problem since day one. Really a dog when it faces a hill.

Old December 6th 05, 06:04 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

>J.Lef wrote:
> Other wise, you figure at 6000 easy driven
>miles a year, this vehicle should be pretty dependable??
> Thanks

The Newer 4cyl. are more dependable than the older ones, but putting a 4
cylinder in a vehicle that size does not make sense to me.
My advice would be to either buy a new 6cyl. or buy about a 3 year old
used 6cyl. with around 40k miles and save alot of cash. Insurance will be
cheaper too, be sure to do a carfax on it.
EdO and Steve W. sum it up. -J

Old December 6th 05, 07:22 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

I had a 4 cylinder with a 5-speed tranny in a short bodied '94 and it
was a great car with decent acceleration and nearly 31 highway MPG when
the AC was off. It also had MUCH better brakes than the '98 6 cyl
'Sport' I now drive - probably because it was considerably lighter. The
5-speed was only available with the 4 cyl and is a relatively uncommon
configuration. Not sure if you can even get one that way any more.
I've driven 4 cyl automatics, and there's really no comparison, with the
auto being very sluggish on acceleration. Geary

Old December 6th 05, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

I have a 98 2.4 with about 120,000 miles. Yup needed a head gasket about
85,000 (not sure but this problem may have been resolved) ..replaced all the
stuff they took off as a matter of course...Bought the car used so I don't
know if it had the original brakes in it.. but have put in fronts and backs
since I have owned it...Almost all city of Chicago miles about 1/2 of that
expressway.. however that includes lots of stop and go rush hour traffic..
the few trips I took I got excellent mileage.. about 27 @ around 70
cruise,air on. I get about 14 in the winter and about 17-18 in the summer..
I have a light foot . Has had 2 batteries.. oil and filter about every
4000.. trans F&F about every 36,000... Original CV's, and hubs, 3 sets of
sway bar links,, 2 sets of shocks and struts... Evaporator leak about
110,000 replaced that and heater core..(they charged for the part only on
the heater core.. no labor) it has original radiator (did follow
recommendations for coolant change on that one to the letter). and condensor

Overall I think this has been a fairly good vehicle (not as good as the 3
prior cars.. Acclaims) but I think it's been OK.. I think the fuel economy
is decent and contrary to popular opinion I feel it has enough power..
however it is bit doggy with the air on. I think the newer ones with the 4
speed should have better economy and acceleration (just an opinion. no basis
in any facts) The seats on my 98 are light enough to move in and out by
myself...(I'm not superman.. just an old man).

I fully expect to get 2 more years out of this vehicle with 2 new "systems"
(at least)... trans, and rack and pinion think the engine will hold out for
another 30-40K miles. I think this could be a VERY good vehicle for you..but
I seriously doubt you would be able to find a 4 cylinder on to rent and try
it out.... It should serve well as a "run about" as long as you don't have a
tendency to "fill it up" and carry 800lbs of stuff around with you..

Hope that helps

Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
dodge ram transmission problem jacktober Technology 1 July 10th 05 05:26 PM
Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 0 January 5th 05 03:49 PM