2005 Element seriously dim lowbeam headlights

Old February 16th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John M.[_2_]

Default 2005 Element seriously dim lowbeam headlights

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've posted in here and it seems really
dead but I'll give it a shot anyways. This is my first stop and I'll
probably be posting in some online forums still to be found by me but
any input here will not go unnoticed.

So:

Around a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight with one
from NAPA. I bought the car used at 83K miles so I don't know if it
was OEM or not. One evening about two weeks ago I noticed that my
passenger side low beam was really dim (as if the battery was just
about gone). I carried on driving for a bit and it was back to
normal. This happened a few more times and at least once was
“corrected” by restarting the car. It happened yet again so while it
was misbehaving and suspecting it might be a faulty headlight I
switched the L and R headlights. The passenger side was still the
problem. A little later and it was both sides. I tried cleaning the
sockets a bit (still gonna attempt that with the proper cleaner) and
at least got it back to the driver's side working. Later, I came to a
4-way stop and flashed my brights to say okay to somebody and now I've
lost both sides. If I put on my high beams just the passenger side
works. Also, all the time that the lights are misbehaving the dash
high-beam indicator is on faintly. I've still got some tinkering to
do but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've come across the
ELD as a possible culprit but this amount of dimming seems a bit
severe to me (but maybe not?).

Thanks,

John M.
Old February 17th 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_4_]

John M. > wrote in
:

> Around a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight with one
> from NAPA. I bought the car used at 83K miles so I don't know if it
> was OEM or not.

BULB or the entire assembly?

Either way, if it's from NAPA, it's aftermarket.

> One evening about two weeks ago I noticed that my
> passenger side low beam was really dim (as if the battery was just
> about gone). I carried on driving for a bit and it was back to
> normal. This happened a few more times and at least once was
> “corrected” by restarting the car. It happened yet again so while it
> was misbehaving and suspecting it might be a faulty headlight I
> switched the L and R headlights. The passenger side was still the
> problem.

So you swapped the BULBS and the problem did not change.

> A little later and it was both sides. I tried cleaning the
> sockets a bit (still gonna attempt that with the proper cleaner) and
> at least got it back to the driver's side working.

Both sides LOW beam, I'm guessing...

> Later, I came to a
> 4-way stop and flashed my brights to say okay to somebody and now I've
> lost both sides. If I put on my high beams just the passenger side
> works.

I'm really confused now. Are BOTH the HIGH and LOW beams a problem now?

You're going to need to be a bit more precise about what works and what
doesn't, and when.

Bullet-point format would be best when you clarify the problems, rather
than one long run-on paragraph that's hard to parse.

> Also, all the time that the lights are misbehaving the dash
> high-beam indicator is on faintly. I've still got some tinkering to
> do but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've come across the
> ELD as a possible culprit but this amount of dimming seems a bit
> severe to me (but maybe not?).

Does this vehicle have Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)? If so, are they
aftermarket or OEM? What country are you in?

--
Tegger
Old February 25th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Stewart[_4_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> John M. > wrote in
> :
>

>> Around a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight with one
>> from NAPA. I bought the car used at 83K miles so I don't know if it
>> was OEM or not.

> BULB or the entire assembly?
>
> Either way, if it's from NAPA, it's aftermarket.

Most likely the bulb was changed. It's a lot more work to change the
headlight itself! I've had good luck using Sylvania 9006 bulbs for my
headlights in my 04 accord. Not sure what is used for OEM, but most any bulb
should work fine.

But from what is described below it sounds like he has some electrical
issues that will need to be looked into, as he has some weird stuff
happening.

>> One evening about two weeks ago I noticed that my
>> passenger side low beam was really dim (as if the battery was just
>> about gone). I carried on driving for a bit and it was back to
>> normal. This happened a few more times and at least once was
>> "corrected" by restarting the car. It happened yet again so while it
>> was misbehaving and suspecting it might be a faulty headlight I
>> switched the L and R headlights. The passenger side was still the
>> problem.

> So you swapped the BULBS and the problem did not change.
>

>> A little later and it was both sides. I tried cleaning the
>> sockets a bit (still gonna attempt that with the proper cleaner) and
>> at least got it back to the driver's side working.

> Both sides LOW beam, I'm guessing...
>

>> Later, I came to a
>> 4-way stop and flashed my brights to say okay to somebody and now I've
>> lost both sides. If I put on my high beams just the passenger side
>> works.

> I'm really confused now. Are BOTH the HIGH and LOW beams a problem now?
>
> You're going to need to be a bit more precise about what works and what
> doesn't, and when.
>
> Bullet-point format would be best when you clarify the problems, rather
> than one long run-on paragraph that's hard to parse.
>

>> Also, all the time that the lights are misbehaving the dash
>> high-beam indicator is on faintly. I've still got some tinkering to
>> do but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've come across the
>> ELD as a possible culprit but this amount of dimming seems a bit
>> severe to me (but maybe not?).
>>

> Does this vehicle have Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)? If so, are they
> aftermarket or OEM? What country are you in?
>

> --
> Tegger

---

American 2005 Honda Element - Coach work sucks shadetree Honda 6 October 19th 05 03:02 PM
2005 Honda Element raffel Honda 0 October 10th 05 12:27 PM
Honda Element 2005 EX fastredcar Honda 3 July 29th 05 08:23 PM
headlights 2005 A6 mikebode Audi 7 July 23rd 05 07:53 PM
2005 Caravan SE-Automatic Headlights dankap Dodge 3 June 19th 05 05:11 AM