Slower traffic: keep one lane left of the right lane

Old December 13th 13, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
M.A. Stewart

Default Slower traffic: keep one lane left of the right lane

Brent ) writes:
> On 2013-12-06, Dave Head > wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> wrote:

>>>it's not. It's typical american patch to treat symptoms of other
>>>problems and thus creating more problems.

>>>They shouldn't be doing that. Fix this problem instead of creating
>>>another.

>> Yep. But the only thing I have the power to do is to not get killed
>> by it. The way to do that is to not be there - IOW, be a lane
>> over...

> That doesn't make it the correct way to drive, in quotes or not.
> Furthermore there are other ways to deal with it. They are lazy drivers,
> they only push as far as others will cater to them more times than not.

>>>Again, another problem that should be dealt with instead of patched
>>>over.

>> I deal with it in the only manner I have power to.

> You could set your mirrors properly.

>>>No it's not for "merging and exiting". It's for driving.

>> Nope, not any more...

> I drive in the right lane much of the time.

>>>In north america it's about laziness.

>> You go ahead and moralize all the way to the horizon, and I'll drive
>> to survive.

> You're the one moralizing your own form of lazy driving.
>
>>>One lazy driver after the other
>>>creating an unworkable situation as they all try to pass the required
>>>effort of the task on to others. The merger expects others to avoid so
>>>he passes the work on to the drivers in the right lane. The drivers in
>>>the right lane don't want to do it so they cruise one lane further left
>>>passing on the effort to faster traffic.... just passing the buck,
>>>kicking the can... laziness. And people wonder why there is so much
>>>traffic congestion.

All lanes left of the right lane are for passing. If you're in them and
not passing... YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!!!

Old December 13th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:53:57 PM UTC-8, M.A. Stewart wrote:

> All lanes left of the right lane are for passing. If you're in them and
> not passing... YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!!!

Even if all lanes are full and you are only driving through? I5 in the Seattle metro area is so jammed you pick the lane best for your travel, keep up with whatever the traffic is in that lane and pray you can find a gap if you need to change lanes. Same is true in Spokane. basically 3-4 lanes all traveling about the same speed and all full. Right lane is a nightmare with exit/entrance every 1/2 mile.

One size does not fit all.

Harry K
Old December 14th 13, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-12-13, Harry K > wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:53:57 PM UTC-8, M.A. Stewart wrote:
>>
>> All lanes left of the right lane are for passing. If you're in them and
>> not passing... YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!!!

> Even if all lanes are full and you are only driving through? I5 in

the Seattle metro area is so jammed you pick the lane best for your
travel, keep up with whatever the traffic is in that lane and pray you
can find a gap if you need to change lanes. Same is true in Spokane.
basically 3-4 lanes all traveling about the same speed and all full.
Right lane is a nightmare with exit/entrance every 1/2 mile.

> One size does not fit all.

Poor lazy driving begets more poor lazy driving until there is
gridlock.

Old December 14th 13, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Friday, December 13, 2013 6:10:10 PM UTC-8, Brent wrote:
> On 2013-12-13, Harry K wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:53:57 PM UTC-8, M.A. Stewart wrote:

> >> All lanes left of the right lane are for passing. If you're in them and

> >> not passing... YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!!!

> > Even if all lanes are full and you are only driving through? I5 in

> the Seattle metro area is so jammed you pick the lane best for your
>
> travel, keep up with whatever the traffic is in that lane and pray you
>
> can find a gap if you need to change lanes. Same is true in Spokane.
>
> basically 3-4 lanes all traveling about the same speed and all full.
>
> Right lane is a nightmare with exit/entrance every 1/2 mile.
>

> > One size does not fit all.

> Poor lazy driving begets more poor lazy driving until there is
>
> gridlock.

Clue Brent: In the areas I mentioned there is _already_ gridlock.

Harry K
Old December 14th 13, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-12-14, Harry K > wrote:
> On Friday, December 13, 2013 6:10:10 PM UTC-8, Brent wrote:

>> > Even if all lanes are full and you are only driving through? I5 in

>> the Seattle metro area is so jammed you pick the lane best for your
>>
>> travel, keep up with whatever the traffic is in that lane and pray you
>>
>> can find a gap if you need to change lanes. Same is true in Spokane.
>>
>> basically 3-4 lanes all traveling about the same speed and all full.
>>
>> Right lane is a nightmare with exit/entrance every 1/2 mile.
>>

>> > One size does not fit all.

>> Poor lazy driving begets more poor lazy driving until there is
>>
>> gridlock.

> Clue Brent: In the areas I mentioned there is _already_ gridlock.

Clue: Harry: I live in one of the biggest metro areas of the country
and I can keep right except to pass. Why can't you?

When I go through downtown chicago on I90/94 I am usually to the left
as I am coming out of or going into the reversibles, however I've done
so many times on the right oh and get this... there are ramps on the
LEFT AND RIGHT there. I did it just fine before half the ramps on the
left were removed too.

Old December 15th 13, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 12/13/2013 12:37 PM, Harry K wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:53:57 PM UTC-8, M.A. Stewart wrote:
>>
>> All lanes left of the right lane are for passing. If you're in them
>> and not passing... YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!!!

> Even if all lanes are full and you are only driving through? I5 in
> the Seattle metro area is so jammed you pick the lane best for your
> travel, keep up with whatever the traffic is in that lane and pray
> you can find a gap if you need to change lanes.

It's not that hard to find a gap to change lanes into if you actually
plan ahead. If I can do it on the Capital Beltway and on highways
around NYC, so can you.

Old December 15th 13, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:24:28 AM UTC-8, Brent wrote:
> On 2013-12-14, Harry K wrote:
>
> > On Friday, December 13, 2013 6:10:10 PM UTC-8, Brent wrote:

<snip>

> >> Poor lazy driving begets more poor lazy driving until there is

>> gridlock.

> > Clue Brent: In the areas I mentioned there is _already_ gridlock.

> Clue: Harry: I live in one of the biggest metro areas of the country
> and I can keep right except to pass. Why can't you?

> When I go through downtown chicago on I90/94 I am usually to the left
> as I am coming out of or going into the reversibles, however I've done
> so many times on the right oh and get this... there are ramps on the
> LEFT AND RIGHT there. I did it just fine before half the ramps on the
> left were removed too.

I get it Brent. You think that in near gridlock traffic, EVERYBODY needs to crammed into the right lane leaving those lanes to the left under capacity. Real smart thinking there.

Harry K
Old December 16th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> On 12/06/2013 01:50 AM, Dave Head wrote:

>>> They shouldn't be doing that. Fix this problem instead of creating
>>> another.

>> Yep. But the only thing I have the power to do is to not get killed
>> by it. The way to do that is to not be there - IOW, be a lane
>> over...

> You're not going to get killed by it. IME, impaired mergers will not ram
> your vehicle when trying to merge. They usually either fall in behind you
> or actually accelerate and merge properly if you remain in the right hand
> lane.

Tell that to the thru traffic that SPEEDS UP to time it so they will collide
with the merger--forcing the merger to speed up themselves or slow down and
brake. If they were going faster than merging traffic, they could have
changed one lane to the left (two or more lanes in the same direction).

NO, I don't think forcing the merger to stop on the onramp is safe driving
on the thru traffic driver's part.

Oh and "finding" a gap in gridlock traffic usually means the lane changer
has to risk rear-end colliding the vehicle in front of them because of the
other driver that won't let them in.

>>> Again, another problem that should be dealt with instead of patched
>>> over.

>> I deal with it in the only manner I have power to.

> You could try setting your mirrors properly.

In other words, BGE.

[snip...]

Old December 16th 13, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-12-15, Harry K > wrote:
> On Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:24:28 AM UTC-8, Brent wrote:
>> On 2013-12-14, Harry K wrote:
>>
>> > On Friday, December 13, 2013 6:10:10 PM UTC-8, Brent wrote:

><snip>

> >> gridlock.

>> > Clue Brent: In the areas I mentioned there is _already_ gridlock.

>> Clue: Harry: I live in one of the biggest metro areas of the country
>> and I can keep right except to pass. Why can't you?

>> When I go through downtown chicago on I90/94 I am usually to the left
>> as I am coming out of or going into the reversibles, however I've done
>> so many times on the right oh and get this... there are ramps on the
>> LEFT AND RIGHT there. I did it just fine before half the ramps on the
>> left were removed too.

> I get it Brent. You think that in near gridlock traffic, EVERYBODY needs to crammed into the right lane leaving those lanes to the left under capacity. Real smart thinking there.

No, you avoid gridlock or at least delay its onset and shorten its
duration by not having a bunch of lazy asshats driving the same speed
side by side reducing throughput.

Old December 16th 13, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 12/16/2013 10:03 AM, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
>> On 12/06/2013 01:50 AM, Dave Head wrote:
>>> On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Brent

>>> Yep. But the only thing I have the power to do is to not get killed
>>> by it. The way to do that is to not be there - IOW, be a lane
>>> over...

>> You're not going to get killed by it. IME, impaired mergers will not
>> ram your vehicle when trying to merge. They usually either fall in
>> behind you or actually accelerate and merge properly if you remain in
>> the right hand lane.

> Tell that to the thru traffic that SPEEDS UP to time it so they will
> collide with the merger--forcing the merger to speed up themselves or
> slow down and brake. If they were going faster than merging traffic,
> they could have changed one lane to the left (two or more lanes in the
> same direction).
>
> NO, I don't think forcing the merger to stop on the onramp is safe
> driving on the thru traffic driver's part.

Then you must have quite a time with the interval signals on the access
ramps.

> Oh and "finding" a gap in gridlock traffic usually means the lane
> changer has to risk rear-end colliding the vehicle in front of them
> because of the other driver that won't let them in.

Anticipation or even, heaven forbid, slowing down typically works in
those situations.

---