Stolen Civic Si

Old September 11th 12, 03:28 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave Garrett

Default Stolen Civic Si

After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
was mistaken.

It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.

Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
measures for the next car I get.

Thieves suck.

Old September 11th 12, 04:04 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/10/2012 07:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
> After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance.

so did they put it on a truck or did they drive it away? if the latter,
you could have prevented it. but i'm sure you're after sympathy not
analysis.

--
fact check required
Old September 11th 12, 09:26 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
AD[_2_]

On Sep 11, 6:04*am, jim beam > wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 07:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
>
> > After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> > pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> > parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> > of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance.

> so did they put it on a truck or did they drive it away? *if the latter,
> you could have prevented it. *but i'm sure you're after sympathy not
> analysis.

you are saying that an alarm system reacting to tilts would not have
helped in
the truck scenario?

Old September 11th 12, 01:09 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
dgk

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:28:31 -0500, Dave Garrett >
wrote:

>After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
>pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
>parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
>of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
>I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
>didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
>was mistaken.
>
>It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
>perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
>essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
>the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
>
>Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
>measures for the next car I get.
>
>Thieves suck.

Did you check to see if there is surveilance video? There are an awful
lot of video cameras around. It probably won't get the car back but
maybe.
Old September 11th 12, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Douglas C. Neidermeyer[_4_]

On 9/10/12 10:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
> After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
> I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
> didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
> was mistaken.
>
> It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
> perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
> essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
> the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
>
> Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> measures for the next car I get.
>
> Thieves suck.

Jeebus guys, the poor vic is hurtin' and y'all are just twisting the
knife. Have some heart;-)

--
The more is given, the less the people will work for themselves and the
less they work, the more their poverty will increase.
Old September 11th 12, 06:53 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave Garrett

In article >,
says...

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:28:31 -0500, Dave Garrett >
> wrote:
>
> >After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> >pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> >parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> >of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
> >I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
> >didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
> >was mistaken.
> >
> >It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
> >perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
> >essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
> >the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
> >
> >Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> >measures for the next car I get.
> >
> >Thieves suck.

> Did you check to see if there is surveilance video? There are an awful
> lot of video cameras around. It probably won't get the car back but
> maybe.

There is video but I haven't seen it yet. I was told there is footage of
me driving into the garage and another Honda following me, and a few
minutes later both cars leaving with my car following the other Honda
closely. Not sure yet if the video is good enough to get plates on the
other Honda.

Pretty much what I suspected, these guys knew exactly what they were
doing and have likely done this before.