FFB update

Old October 13th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default FFB update

Where am I now?
Well, it looks like I am on the right track, finaly. It looks like
"the key" is in adjusting Centering Spring (unchecked). It isn't hard to do
(on my, well trimmed system). You just put both, Damper and Spring at 0%
(you leave in-game at 40.0/100), and test Centering Spring settings (when
you put Damper and Spring at 0% it is a clean signal, not disturbed by
Spring and Damper, and you can easily see what is going on regarding
Centering Spring). When you find a setting that doesn't give you a
snap-loose condition, this is it. I test this at The Milwaukee Mile, with
Silver Crown, advanced setup. On my system the correct value for Centering
Spring is 22%.
What about Spring and Damper? Well I still didn't test it
thoroughly, but at the first glance it looks like their settings aren't
linked. I like Spring to be somewhere around 120%, and Damper around 95%,
but I still have to test all this all-through. But, it looks like the major
thing is Centering Spring, when you set this correctly it is easy to find
the right Damper and Spring settings. If Centering Spring isn't set
correctly, incorrect position interacts strangely with Spring and Damper,
and you can be easily confused by this.

Mario

Old October 15th 11, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
> Where am I now?
> Well, it looks like I am on the right track, finaly. It looks like
> "the key" is in adjusting Centering Spring (unchecked). It isn't hard to
> do (on my, well trimmed system). You just put both, Damper and Spring at
> 0% (you leave in-game at 40.0/100), and test Centering Spring settings
> (when you put Damper and Spring at 0% it is a clean signal, not disturbed
> by Spring and Damper, and you can easily see what is going on regarding
> Centering Spring). When you find a setting that doesn't give you a
> snap-loose condition, this is it. I test this at The Milwaukee Mile, with
> Silver Crown, advanced setup. On my system the correct value for Centering
> Spring is 22%.
> What about Spring and Damper? Well I still didn't test it
> thoroughly, but at the first glance it looks like their settings aren't
> linked. I like Spring to be somewhere around 120%, and Damper around 95%,
> but I still have to test all this all-through. But, it looks like the
> major thing is Centering Spring, when you set this correctly it is easy to
> find the right Damper and Spring settings. If Centering Spring isn't set
> correctly, incorrect position interacts strangely with Spring and Damper,
> and you can be easily confused by this.

I didn't have much time today for testing, but during that little
time, interesting things happened. It really is crucial to set Centering
Spring (unchecked) correctly, because this allows you to really see what is
going on.
In short, Damper at 100% gives me too much friction, so I lowered it
where I don't feel friction, at 90%. Then I messed up with Springs (for
setting up those things use something like Corvette at some road course). I
noticed that high Spring is too "springy", so I lowered it. At 110% it is
still "springy", but at 109% it develops a slack. This is clearly wrong, so
I went back to 110% of Spring, although it is too "springy". Then I started
to lower Damper (becaue I noticed from previous testings that Damper can
mess up things that way), at 89% FFB was better, less "springy", at 88% it
was actually pretty good, even less "springy", and nice full feel (no
slack). Now its time for bed so I will not test further today, I presume
that the next time I'll go testing (for at least two days from now) it will
be even better, actually it should be just right.

Mario

FFB (so far) Mario Petrinovic Simulators 0 September 25th 11 10:57 AM
FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 26 September 5th 11 08:52 AM
Secrets of FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 2 August 4th 11 06:10 PM
G25 v. ECCI - To FFB or not to FFB [email protected] Simulators 1 August 17th 07 02:35 PM
Free Larry's FFB Wheel! muffled titter Simulators 2 May 8th 06 07:08 PM