Read this before you buy

Old October 14th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default Read this before you buy

Thus spake ACAR > :

>On Sep 30, 8:46*am, Tom Adams > wrote:
>> ESC is considered to be the greatest advance in safety since the
>> seatbelt. *It will be required on all 2012 cars, but it's still
>> optional or not available on some 2010 and 2011 models:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...#Effectiveness

>check the hype re. ABS
>it was supposed to be the greatest safety advance since the
>seatbelt...

Same with DRL. Note that collissions that were supposed to be
prevented by DRL have returned to about the same (using the miles
driven quanitier) as 2 years prior to the major use. Motorcycles
don't seem to be any more immune to getting whacked by "us" even
though they all have headlights on.

The highmount brakelight doesn't seem to have reduced rear end
collisions.

Stupid people adapt stupid behavior to suit conditions. Highmount
brakelight? Just get used to it. ABS? Start driving into situations
where it won't help. et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (thank you, Mr.
Brenner)
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)
March 1998 - June 2010
What a dog. What a dog!

Old October 14th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/14/2010 02:31 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<gZWdndRJuNtkHCvRnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@speakeasy .net>,
> jim > wrote:
>
>> abs is great for my grandmother. her reactions are so slow, and her
>> vehicle control so poor, anything that stops her locking the wheels and
>> drifting off into oblivion is going to be an improvement.

> She has to know to steer while she's braking, which I doubt she does.
> She would just hang onto the wheel for dear life and let the car go
> straight into the obstacle ahead.

which is what she's done. but cars are generally ok in front-rear
collisions. it's pretty much impossible to offer equivalent protection
for side impacts.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 14th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/14/2010 06:33 AM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
> Thus spake > :
>
>> On Sep 30, 8:46�am, Tom > wrote:
>>> ESC is considered to be the greatest advance in safety since the
>>> seatbelt. �It will be required on all 2012 cars, but it's still
>>> optional or not available on some 2010 and 2011 models:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...#Effectiveness

>> check the hype re. ABS
>> it was supposed to be the greatest safety advance since the
>> seatbelt...

> Same with DRL. Note that collissions that were supposed to be
> prevented by DRL have returned to about the same (using the miles
> driven quanitier) as 2 years prior to the major use.

i know i sound like a crazy whack-job, but drl's are courtesy of our
friends in the oil business, not based on safety research.

drl's run at ~80W. fuel conversion is ~30%. that's an extra 260W worth
of gasoline required every time you switch on your car. multiply that
by the ~135,000,000 cars on the road, and suddenly, you're selling a lot
more gasoline.

oh, and let's ignore the nimrods who, because they have drl's and can
see the road, albeit dimly, don't think to turn on their lights at night
now.

> Motorcycles
> don't seem to be any more immune to getting whacked by "us" even
> though they all have headlights on.
>
> The highmount brakelight doesn't seem to have reduced rear end
> collisions.

but it means people can drive with two bulbs out, not just one!

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 14th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote

> i know i sound like a crazy whack-job, but drl's are courtesy of our
> friends in the oil business, not based on safety research.

Oncoming cars that are dark in color I have trouble seeing initially unless
their headlights (or "parking" lights) are on. Dark cars tend to blend in
with the background and/or the gray road surface. I spot light colored cars
at a distance much more easily -- DRL's or not. My current and previous two
cars are white -- I like to be seen!

Old October 15th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Oct 13, 11:39*pm, Gordon McGrew >
wrote:
snip
> We should also consider the alternate theory that ABS doesn't do ****.
> Oh yeah, theoretically it provides greater control when braking, but
> in the real world I don't think it has ever been shown to reduce
> accidents.

I'll bet ABS has benefit in pickups and other vehicles where balanced
braking is difficult to achieve. Jim Beam correctly points out that
there are situations that call for wheel lock-up. But even on a dry
road there are some vehicles that defy 4-wheel threshold braking
regardless of driver skill.
Old October 15th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 10/14/10 09:33, Dillon Pyron wrote:
> Thus spake > :
>
>> On Sep 30, 8:46 am, Tom > wrote:
>>> ESC is considered to be the greatest advance in safety since the
>>> seatbelt. It will be required on all 2012 cars, but it's still
>>> optional or not available on some 2010 and 2011 models:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...#Effectiveness

>> check the hype re. ABS
>> it was supposed to be the greatest safety advance since the
>> seatbelt...

> Same with DRL. Note that collissions that were supposed to be
> prevented by DRL have returned to about the same (using the miles
> driven quanitier) as 2 years prior to the major use. Motorcycles
> don't seem to be any more immune to getting whacked by "us" even
> though they all have headlights on.
>
> The highmount brakelight doesn't seem to have reduced rear end
> collisions.
>
> Stupid people adapt stupid behavior to suit conditions. Highmount
> brakelight? Just get used to it.

And that, IMHO, is the essence of so many changes; sound good on paper,
might look good in controlled studies, but once applied across the board
become part of the white noise. If we cycled them in/out every 3/4
years, people might continue to notice them; but I'd never suggest that.