iRacing - price drops - class updates mid-season

Old October 16th 09, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default iRacing - price drops - class updates mid-season

(Byron Forbes) wrote:

> Yeah, well as a paying customer now the idea of them even thinking
> of spending 1 moment or dollar on this offends me!

As someone who's 'invested' $450 with iRacing so far it offends me that even $1 of
that has gone towards pointless development of the Pro series, WDC, free road
racing adventure for John Prather, and assorted other iMarketing jollies which I
see as chasing a fantasy business model doomed to eventual failure.

iRacing will eventually have no choice but to go with the flow of subscribers. It
is still too early to tell which direction that will be. But to me it is clear that
-- behind the smokescreen of positive spin which oozes from every iPress release --
iRacing has already had to move away from its original pure, hardcore model. In
time it will shift even further. The trick will be disguising that move from the
hardcore user base which has so far helped stunt its growth.

IMO anyway. :-)

Andrew McP
Old October 16th 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mookytc

On Oct 15, 3:37*pm, "David G Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol>
wrote:
> "rcgldr" > wrote in message

> >I thought it would take 2 to 3 years before drastic changes like this would
> > take place. Definately headed in the right direction in my opinion.

> > Based on recent posts at RSC, the price drops are significant, yearly down
> > from $149 to $99, but without the credits. However, the content prices are
> > also lowered substantially, $12 to $15 now (versus $15 to $25).

> > The class updates will occur more frequently. I'm not sure how much
> > faster,
> > but apparently someone could advance to A class in a season rather than
> > it taking a year. This will allow some to skip buying intermediate content
> > that they aren't interested in, a secondary beneficial effect.

> > I also read that leagues and hosted servers are to be enabled sometime
> > during the next season.

> > I (and many others) are still hoping that once there's enough content and
> > progress made with the game basics, there will be a retail version of the
> > game being sold.

> That's encouraging to see. But I think they need to go further and make
> iRacing accessible to people who maybe only want to race once or twice a
> month.
>
> Mobile phone companies manage to make a profit out of pay-as-you-go, so why
> not have pay as you race? Just top up your account if you fancy and
> afternoon of racing.
>
> Of course the fanboys hate that idea. ****s the lot of 'em.

LOL :-)

Fanboys...

Old October 16th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> (Byron Forbes) wrote:
>
>> Yeah, well as a paying customer now the idea of them even thinking
>> of spending 1 moment or dollar on this offends me!

> As someone who's 'invested' $450 with iRacing so far it offends me that
> even $1 of
> that has gone towards pointless development of the Pro series, WDC, free
> road
> racing adventure for John Prather, and assorted other iMarketing jollies
> which I
> see as chasing a fantasy business model doomed to eventual failure.
>
> iRacing will eventually have no choice but to go with the flow of
> subscribers. It
> is still too early to tell which direction that will be. But to me it is
> clear that
> -- behind the smokescreen of positive spin which oozes from every iPress
> release --
> iRacing has already had to move away from its original pure, hardcore
> model. In
> time it will shift even further. The trick will be disguising that move
> from the
> hardcore user base which has so far helped stunt its growth.
>
> IMO anyway. :-)
>
> Andrew McP

Far more of John Henry's money has gone into this than yours so I wouldn't
worry too much.
Lotta haters that can't seem to just let go of iRacing...

Old October 16th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(schooner) wrote:

> Hit a sore spot it seems with you.

Says the man threatened enough to call me a hater. Shall we play a game of 'my sore
spot's bigger than yours?' ;-)

> if you don't like it why not just move on?

You haven't digested any of my posts have you... just reacted to them. I have said
repeatedly that I want iRacing to succeed. I just believe it would be better to
split it into two forms... one for the hardcore masochists who've been the core
audience so far, one for the many, many thousands of amateur, Sunday drivers like
myself who appreciate good code but not restrictive environments.

Then we can all enjoy the best sim code on the planet in peace and harmony, with
never a cross word, sneery comment, or flaming row on the race track over lost SR
or a prematurely ended race.

Who am I kidding. We'll always find *something* to argue about. That's what the
internet was made for after all!

The danger in the current evolution of iRacing is that it's heading for some kind
of middle ground which will annoy both sides of the debate equally. That's why I
remain critical... hopefully in a good 'iceberg ahead!' kind of way, though I
appreciate that in some cultures and personality types the phrase 'constructive
criticism' doesn't really exist.

If I didn't care, I would, as you suggest, bugger off and leave iRacing and related
topics forever. I could equally suggest that if you're so happy with iRacing, why
feel the need to defend it? If I'm being a complete and utter iCock, then why not
let me damn myself with my own fingers?

Silly question, eh? The bottom line is we're here to discuss sims, and that's what
we're doing. Well done for helping keep the newsgroup alive, and thanks for the
opportunity to explore my complex iOpinions in more detail. I appreciate the
counselling session. ;-)

Andrew McP

Old October 16th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

schooner wrote:

> Just find it curious you talk of iRacing so often in a negative light,
> if you don't like it why not just move on?
> Still so many seem to watch their every move so as to complain.

Andrew is our resident iRacing manic depressive member

The Skip Barber will lure him back eventually and he will have another
whirlwind holiday romance, be smitten with iRacing again, make videos to
express his love and spend a small fortune on monthly subscriptions
before going back to the cheap alternatives and getting a bit of rough
with Shift.

One of these days he will settle down and buy a two year deal and save
himself some $ but he still feels he needs to play the field

Cheers
Tony

Old October 16th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

>> One of these days he will settle down and buy a two year deal

> Wash your mouth out!
>
> Seriously, all I probably really want from iRacing at this stage is one, single,
> solitary permanent 'fun' server. Then I could support the project with a permanent
> subscription, while -- most of the time -- racing in a relaxed way which suits my
> temperament.

Hosted racing will be here next season, whih should cater for varying
tastes all being well. We will see.

> Until then, I anticipate my love/hate, in/out, iHokey-cokey to continue. If I'm
> lucky iRacing may even start paying me to stay away!

That would be like a newsagent refusing to sell you cigarettes because
you keep giving up and becoming an anti smoker for a couple of weeks...

> PS Shift is a very cheap date, and I haven't caught anything yet. Except maybe
> oversteer-itis.

A bit loose?
Old October 17th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

I'm just glad we have intelligent people like you to follow here.
meh

I've lost asswipe coount but i'm pretty sure it's over 1000 now.
meh

write meh on the wall.. meh.