iRacing - My slant

Old September 28th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

Default iRacing - My slant

For the noobs - http://www.iracing.com/home.html

A few months back I get an email from iRacing letting me know about a 3
months for $25 deal. Sounds too good to resist and I feel an itch to scratch
so I go and spend over $1000 on new computer, G25 and seat!

Though there is the odd issue or 2, overall it is the best thing since
GPL. I had said in here donkeys years ago that the sim racing world was
screaming out for something like this (i.e. official racing series run by
sim company) and upon my iRacing experience I can tell you all that I was
dead right. The helter skelter atmosphere is gone. There is no need to fish
around for patches, mods, tracks and then leagues - it is all there in 1
place for you. It is fantastic to simply be able to hook up your stuff and
go racing.

My view presently is that the new iteration of the physics engine is so
taxing on the cpu that some of the complaints (and they are mostly minor)
about things will get fixed as cpu power allows them to add more bells and
whistles. Just a ton of great stuff on the horizon - Indianapolis has just
been released and will be shortly followed by the Aussie V8, including
Phillip Island, the Indy cars and Indy Lights, CR-6 Corvette, etc.

They have also taken a further step of merging the simulator with the
real world with the launch of inRacingNews - http://www.inracingnews.com/ as
well as obviously increasing public awareness about the world of sim racing.
Recently a plan was released for sponsorship at all levels as well. From the
forum -

On Car Sponsorship
Series Sponsorship
Forum Banner Ad Space
inRacingNews.com Banner Ad Space

Packages starting at $1000

For more information, contact:

Old September 29th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jelloshooter69

agree game is biggest facade hidden under mask of laser tracks ever
seen. nothing better than 8 years ago in areas where it counts. when
race drivers note another sim dominates physics there is a problem imo
http://psrtv.com/podcast/index.php?p...nation_e11.mp3

shift is great too
Old September 29th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Gota say if you race RL there is no other way to go. I just tried
Summit Point in rFactor (a converter GPL track AFAIK) and it wasn't
even close. iRacing has the tracks and physics down, all you cryers
and moaners are just ****ing jealous because you don't have the money
to spend. Admit it and move on. Nothing compares to it regardless of
how much ****ing and moaning goes on. You either can afford it or you
can't. Stop whining and move on.

Old September 29th 09, 10:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"David G Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

>>> Can the engine be stalled yet?

>> No, only blown up by over revving. All cars are autos when in 1st gear!
>>

>> Big deal?

> Not too big. But shows an underlying tendency on the part of the devs to
> panda to wimps and crybabies.

When I first joined I had a single core 3gig cpu/8500 graphics - no
where near enough. Now have a quad 3.2gig/8500 graphics - no problems. Point
being, the present physics engine is already taxing the cpu big time. To
anyone who's used Papy stuff over the years it is clear that a ton of the
bells and whistles are simply not there yet and I'll bet the cpu tax is the
reason - as technology catches up/gets cheaper, all this sort of stuff will
be addressed.

It is important to remember that presently they have X amount of series
running - there are still a lot of people who don't even have a clutch. As
the membership grows and the feasibility to add new series increases, I'm
sure we will start to see series where auto clutch and auto blip are
disabled and to run in those series will require the use of a clutch.
Obviously, at that time, engines will no doubt be able to stall!

Old September 29th 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

I was being a bit sarcastic, but it is the best simulation out there
at the momemt.

Old September 29th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Left Testicle

****ing fanboy, arse ****er.

"GaryR" > wrote in message
> Gota say if you race RL there is no other way to go. I just tried
> Summit Point in rFactor (a converter GPL track AFAIK) and it wasn't
> even close. iRacing has the tracks and physics down, all you cryers
> and moaners are just ****ing jealous because you don't have the money
> to spend. Admit it and move on. Nothing compares to it regardless of
> how much ****ing and moaning goes on. You either can afford it or you
> can't. Stop whining and move on.
>

>>On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:54:06 -0700 (PDT), jelloshooter69
> wrote:
>>agree game is biggest facade hidden under mask of laser tracks ever
>>seen. nothing better than 8 years ago in areas where it counts. when
>>race drivers note another sim dominates physics there is a problem imo
>>http://psrtv.com/podcast/index.php?p...nation_e11.mp3
>>
>>shift is great too

Day 28 in the Big iRacing house <-- warning, long and about iRacing Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 October 1st 08 08:54 AM
slant 6 static timing Jeff[_5_] Dodge 2 June 24th 07 03:09 PM
rebuilding slant 6 engine njot Chrysler 16 May 18th 07 06:26 PM
rebuilding a slant 6 engine njot Chrysler 1 May 16th 07 05:36 PM
Slant Six in Jeep? Bret Ludwig Jeep 20 September 22nd 05 08:23 PM