2008 Honda Civic Ex Maintenance Schedule

Old February 3rd 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Avalon

Default 2008 Honda Civic Ex Maintenance Schedule

On Feb 2, 10:54*pm, Avalon > wrote:
> > let's see - you've argued with not one, not two, but three people here.
> > * statistically, what is the likely common denominator in this equation?- Hide quoted text -

> Hahaha, someone posted a response to this question that is worthy of
> repeating, but I think he/she knows better about getting involved
> since he/she deleted their post.

Eh! What the heck, I'll say what his/her response was:

Q: let's see - you've argued with not one, not two, but three people
here.
> > statistically, what is the likely common denominator in this equation?

A: Three stupid people eating hay in a horse stable

Hahahaha!
Old February 3rd 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Avalon1178 > wrote in news:b025dbf2-18da-4cca-a86b-
:

>> lets get this straight - you show up out of the blue, you ask badly
>> constructed and poorly considered questions, then get all ****ed because
>> the people you're asking really can't be bothered with your ****, but
>> it's all their fault??? *dude, knowing how to read the owners manual is
>> the least of your problems.- Hide quoted text -
>>

> Okay, I guess we can put you in the same horse stable as Elmo and
> Howard. I think someone needs to replace the hay you guys have been
> eating.
>
> Read my original question again. If you people don't want to be
> bothered with my question, then don't respond at all, instead of
> saying some smartass response like I don't know what I'm talking
> about. Its a simple question given the fact that I drove an older
> model before purchasing a new one. And if you can't follow this
> "badly constructed and poorly considered question", then I guess
> you're just as stupid for not carefully reading it before posting your
> response. This is a usenet group, not grammar school.

Your answer was given in the very first reply to your original message.

Elmo directed you to consult your Owner's Manual, which covers Maintenance
on pages 307 through 313.

Page 310 has a diagram of the Maintenance Minder readout in the instrument
cluster, along with some description of how it works. Among the
descriptions is this snippet: "All maintenance items displayed on the
information display are in code. For an explanation of these
maintenance codes, see page 313."

It's a bit unfair to fail to perform a basic requirement of new-car
ownership, then get mad at people who advise you to do it.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 3rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Polfus wrote:

> "jim beam" > wrote
>
>> lets get this straight - you show up out of the blue, you ask badly
>> constructed and poorly considered questions, then get all ****ed
>> because the people you're asking really can't be bothered with your
>> ****, but it's all their fault??? dude, knowing how to read the
>> owners manual is the least of your problems.

> You are a gigantic pussy.
>
> Bottom line: your life sucks so bad you need this newsgroup to make
> youself feel better.
>
> Reality: dude asked a question, and you flew in with your usual ****.
>
> If you were a human being, you would have helped.
>
> But you hate yourself, so you project it onto others instead by
> insulting them.
>
> Its clear to everyone except those that are just like you, like your
> little buddy Elmo, which obviously is your email partner in these postings.
>
> Tell me I'm wrong..that you haven't sent each other emails saying how
> much you hate when people do this or that and how you both are gonna let
> folks really have it when they **** you off.
>
> Tell me I'm wrong...that'll make you a liar also.

how old are you?
Old February 3rd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Your questions are perfectly well-communicated. Furthermore,
they are asked so often this ought to be an FAQ.

I have read a fair amount on Honda's maintenance minder over
the last several years. I have also read reports here on
when it has signaled that the oil is due for a change. In my
opinion, one can rely on it (of course; the engineers are
not dummies) instead of many old customs such as change the
oil every 5000 miles/6 months (or whatever one's preferred
frequency is based on driving conditions).

Of course few read the owner's manual cover to cover. Issues
certainly arise that are not covered in the owner's manual
and so need to be addressed either by Honda subsequently;
word of mouth; etc.

How the Maintenance Minder works is not covered in the
manual. The first time I heard about this latest
bell-whistle-gizmo, I was not trusting until I had at least
a basic description of how the MM computer yada worked.

As for the flack from a few parties he It represents the
usual cowardice to troubleshoot the whole problem. The whole
problem of course includes not only the car's ailment but
also communicating effectively how to fix the car's ailment.
How much brains does it take to communicate simple, literal
principles? I actually think the usual shadetree mechanic or
highly trained technician has more than enough brains to do
so. Many "just" need to have it pointed out to them that the
problem is two-fold and be asked to think in advance: What's
going to get us to the practical solution quickest and with
the greatest future return on my time's investment?

Some are just troll-ish out of sport. Usenet and all.

Post-back if you want some links on how the Maintenance
Minder works.

"Avalon1178" > wrote

Old February 3rd 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Polfus wrote:

> "jim beam" > wrote
>
>> Polfus wrote:
>>>
>>> "jim beam" > wrote

>>> You are a gigantic pussy.
>>>
>>> Bottom line: your life sucks so bad you need this newsgroup to make
>>> youself feel better.
>>>
>>> Reality: dude asked a question, and you flew in with your usual ****.
>>>
>>> If you were a human being, you would have helped.
>>>
>>> But you hate yourself, so you project it onto others instead by
>>> insulting them.
>>>
>>> Its clear to everyone except those that are just like you, like your
>>> little buddy Elmo, which obviously is your email partner in these
>>> postings.
>>>
>>> Tell me I'm wrong..that you haven't sent each other emails saying how
>>> much you hate when people do this or that and how you both are gonna
>>> let folks really have it when they **** you off.
>>>
>>> Tell me I'm wrong...that'll make you a liar also.
>>>

>> how old are you?

> Looks like I'm not wrong, then.
>
> Polfus

your contributions are inane and childish. they lack any honda-related
merit. and you get fixated on schoolyard snot-smearing. how old are you?
Old February 3rd 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Avalon1178 > wrote:
>
>> > That's where your brain comes in. If that doesn't work, visit the
>> > dealer, to
>> > whom you gave many thousands of dollars, and ask how this new "system"
>> > works.

>> WTF? What's your problem? Are you the sorry son of a Honda dealer/
>> salesman that one little critique of the maintenance schedule got your
>> little feathers all ruffled?

> You manufactured a circumstance that (a) wouldn't happen, or (b) is
> easily rectified if it did happen by mistake--and used that as "this is
> why I need a time/miles maintenance schedule!"
>
> Quit manufacturing things to be worried about. Sheesh. You're like an
> old woman.

My Honda dealer routinely forgets to reset the maintenence reminder.

Old February 4th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Avalon

On Feb 3, 7:26*am, "Elle" > wrote:
> Your questions are perfectly well-communicated. Furthermore,
> they are asked so often this ought to be an FAQ.
>
> I have read a fair amount on Honda's maintenance minder over
> the last several years. I have also read reports here on
> when it has signaled that the oil is due for a change. In my
> opinion, one can rely on it (of course; the engineers are
> not dummies) instead of many old customs such as change the
> oil every 5000 miles/6 months (or whatever one's preferred
> frequency is based on driving conditions).

Great. That's all I wanted to hear. If people were just to respond
with the same courtesy and respect like you did, I don't think this
thread would've gone this long. I personally like this schedule
minder, but since this is the first time I've driven a vehicle with
this feature, I think its just natural to ask how accurate this is and
what other people think of it. But if from what you heard is that it
is fairly accurate, then that's great. I also would like to hear how
other people think of it from their experience.

But as you can tell, I thought I asked a very basic question and I
expected a fairly straightforward response. I have little tolerance
to those who respond with no courtesy or respect, just so they can
feel like they're superior or know more than others.

> Of course few read the owner's manual cover to cover. Issues
> certainly arise that are not covered in the owner's manual
> and so need to be addressed either by Honda subsequently;
> word of mouth; etc.
>
> How the Maintenance Minder works is not covered in the
> manual. The first time I heard about this latest
> bell-whistle-gizmo, I was not trusting until I had at least
> a basic description of how the MM computer yada worked.
>
> As for the flack from a few parties he It represents the
> usual cowardice to troubleshoot the whole problem. The whole
> problem of course includes not only the car's ailment but
> also communicating effectively how to fix the car's ailment.
> How much brains does it take to communicate simple, literal
> principles? I actually think the usual shadetree mechanic or
> highly trained technician has more than enough brains to do
> so. Many "just" need to have it pointed out to them that the
> problem is two-fold and be asked to think in advance: What's
> going to get us to the practical solution quickest and with
> the greatest future return on my time's investment?
>
> Some are just troll-ish out of sport. Usenet and all.
>
> Post-back if you want some links on how the Maintenance
> Minder works.

Actually, that would be great if you don't mind sending some links
about this Maintenance Minder. Do you know if this is unique to the
new Honda models only or do most cars have this technology now?

As I mentioned, before my new car I drove a 2005 Honda Civic. My
dealer tells me with my old car that to keep it in good condition, to
always do scheduled maintenance of every 10,000 miles (minor service,
in addition to oil change at every 5000...then I think major service
every 30,000). With the new maintenance minder, do you think this
concept still applies?

Old February 4th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Avalon" > wrote in message
On Feb 3, 7:26 am, "Elle" > wrote:

> Actually, that would be great if you don't mind sending some links
> about this Maintenance Minder. Do you know if this is unique to the
> new Honda models only or do most cars have this technology now?

It's become fairly common. I can say that BMW and Chevy have been doing it
for a number of years.

> As I mentioned, before my new car I drove a 2005 Honda Civic. My
> dealer tells me with my old car that to keep it in good condition, to
> always do scheduled maintenance of every 10,000 miles (minor service,
> in addition to oil change at every 5000...then I think major service
> every 30,000). With the new maintenance minder, do you think this
> concept still applies?

That concept still applies, for adding income to the dealership. Did your
previous owners manual jive with that?

Old February 4th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Avalon" > wrote
> that would be great if you don't mind sending
> some links about this Maintenance Minder.

I think the most detailed and most reputable description of
the MM on the net is at
http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/YourHonda/HondaService . On
the left highlight "Honda Service," click on "Maintenance
Calculator," choose year and model, then click on "Complete
Maintenance Schedule." The following appears the

"The maintenance requirements for your [Honda vehicle] are
determined by an internal algorithm, which considers the
engine starting temperature, driving distance and engine
RPM. The onboard computer also judges your driving
conditions and habits, and then calculates the remaining
engine oil life, displaying it as a percentage."

More links follow.

> Do you know if this is unique to the new Honda
> models only or do most cars have this technology now?

From general reading, I doubt it is a majority of new
vehicles that have this right now. I do see internet
discussions on the Chevy Ventura supporting what Seth
posted. This Chevy's MM seems similar to the newer Hondas'.
I googled {"maintenance minder" Chevy} to find this. Pardon
if I am stating the obvious, but often the internet is worth
googling first. Admittedly, though, sometimes information is
so arcane that a much more intensive search is needed. That
description above is not all over the internet, for one. I
do not remember how I found it a few years ago, but it is
not in the top ten hits using a few keywords, for example.

A lot of folks have raised concerns about the MM like those
posted in this thread. The ones that come up a lot on the
net, and the best responses I see to them, follow.

1.
Does the MM account for severe duty (especially with regard
to oil life)?
For this, many anecdotal reports on the web reference a
Honda Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) from 2005 on this. It
is titled "Taking the Mystery Out of the Maintenance Minder
System," TSB #09012005, NHTSA #10018482. It is reproduced at
forums like:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=583156. It
says, "The system counts down oil life based on engine
operating conditions (both normal and severe). If the engine
runs at higher temperatures and rpm, or at low temperatures
during short trips, the oil life will deplete faster than an
engine running under more normal conditions." The
description at the Canada site at the top seems to back this
up. Also, here is a post where someone reports that he
tested the oil quality and compared it to the MM's
recommendations for changing the oil: "[The Maintenance
Minder] is pretty accurate as I have done used oil analysis
and the life expectancy shown on the reports coincides with
what our oil life monitor tells us." See
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=15095

2.
Does the MM take driving in dusty conditions into account?
What about driving for a long time while not meeting the
MM's criteria for all the operating conditions listed at the
Canada site above?
The MM does not take account of dusty air filters or any
other system vulnerable to dust. Nor does it factor in the
actual time in days, months, or years that, say, oil or
whatever fluid is in the car. This is covered in the owner's
manual in the MM sections. The owner must monitor time (in
days, months, or years) on his/her own. As Polfus noted, the
rule is 'Change the oil per the MM or once a year, whichever
comes first,' is the actual rule. Engine oil evidently is
not all that vulnerable to dust from dusty roads. I do buy
this at present. Some common sense is still appropriate.
E.g. if someone adds a cup of dirt via the engine oil fill
hole, then I recommend an oil change.

3.
Does the MM distinguish between the use of synthetic oil and
non-synth. oil?
No, but then Honda has always specified the same intervals
regardless of which type of oil one uses.

4.
How do I know the MM was reset after a dealer (or anyone)
does an oil change?
If the MM does not read "Oil Life 100%" right after you pull
out of the shop, then the shop failed to reset it. The
Owner's Manual has instructions for resetting in its
maintenance minder section. Should take just a few minutes
to get through the instructions and reset the MM. I gather
this resetting of the MM is possible for any system the MM
monitors.

5.
A good "official Honda" site that gives what the codes mean
and also exactly what systems the MM minds:
http://www.imakenews.com/londonhonda....cfm?x=b11,0,w
Mostly this is just an excerpt from an owner's manual.

> My dealer tells me with my old car that
> to keep it in good condition, to always do
> scheduled maintenance of every 10,000 miles
> (minor service, in addition to oil change
> at every 5000...then I think major service
> every 30,000). With the new maintenance
> minder, do you think this concept still applies?

This concept does not apply to either older cars without an
MM or new ones with an MM. As others have noted, dealers are
not a part of Honda corporation. Dealer service centers are
in the business of selling services and new parts, often
whether your car needs them or not.

For maintenance, follow the owner's manual and MM. If any
shop tells you to do something otherwise, you can post here
or at other Honda fora and get opinions. Generally the best
decision will come out of such discussions, based on much
real life experience and dissection by the ultimate
marketplace of ideas, the net.

Old February 4th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote
> Then why can all that be screwed up if one forgets to
> reset the Maintenance Minder?

> If you rest it early, then Honda admits that the schedule
> will be off.

Correct. The Maintenance Minder does not completely absolve
the owner of responsibility when it comes to maintenance.

> And the manual says quite clearly, "If the message
> "Service" does not appear more than 12 months after the
> display is reset, change the engine oil every year."
>
> What if I then drive 35,000 miles in one year?
>
> What then, smart-ass...don't change the oil because the
> Maintenance Minder computer says no need?

The MM computer does take into account distance driven.

Can the computer fail? Yes, but so can a lot of other parts.
The owner has to stay alert to trouble codes and symptoms.

My sense is the MM may very well save the owner money by
reducing unnecessary oil and other part and fluid changes.
See post to Avalon for some elaboration.

These all are often-raised concerns at other internet fora.
Like all new technology, it's going to take a while for the
MM to be accepted. Or it may be rejected. I'd say the jury's
out. If forced to bet, I'd bet the MM is useful for at least
oil changes, with the caveat that I'd like more input on why
there is no distinction made between synthetic and
non-synthetic oil, per both Honda's old maintenance
schedules and the new MM.

Schedule 1/2 Maintenance S K Mazda 12 August 6th 07 06:24 AM
Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i Giskard Reventlov BMW 49 May 3rd 07 04:43 PM
Maintenance Schedule for 2006 Civic Oakparker Honda 15 October 2nd 06 04:31 AM
maintenance schedule VA_Tech_Hokies Honda 2 December 9th 04 02:59 PM
My Beetle's Maintenance Schedule - Help Please! Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM