Love my CRV 1999. Does anyone know if there is an online 'usermanual.'

Old January 29th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Love my CRV 1999. Does anyone know if there is an online 'usermanual.'

The couple who sold it to me did not have it. Thank you.
www.soupdown.com
Old January 29th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Go to site https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp. On
the left, click on "Owner's Manuals." Follow the pointers.
Once you arrive at the pdf file, it may appear that only one
page has come up. In fact, page numbers that are highlighted
within the pdf file are links on which you can click to take
you to the page. Also, in the upper right hand corner of any
white page look for an arrow. Click the right arrow to get
to the next page. Lastly, pressing "Ctrl-A" will permit
easier reading of some of the pages at this site.

Old January 30th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in news:13pvbi58bvt1s16
@corp.supernews.com:

> Go to site https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp. On
> the left, click on "Owner's Manuals." Follow the pointers.
> Once you arrive at the pdf file, it may appear that only one
> page has come up. In fact, page numbers that are highlighted
> within the pdf file are links on which you can click to take
> you to the page. Also, in the upper right hand corner of any
> white page look for an arrow. Click the right arrow to get
> to the next page. Lastly, pressing "Ctrl-A" will permit
> easier reading of some of the pages at this site.

Are you using Firefox as your browser??

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 30th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote
> "Elle" > wrote
>> Go to site https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp.
>> On
>> the left, click on "Owner's Manuals." Follow the
>> pointers.
>> Once you arrive at the pdf file, it may appear that only
>> one
>> page has come up. In fact, page numbers that are
>> highlighted
>> within the pdf file are links on which you can click to
>> take
>> you to the page. Also, in the upper right hand corner of
>> any
>> white page look for an arrow. Click the right arrow to
>> get
>> to the next page. Lastly, pressing "Ctrl-A" will permit
>> easier reading of some of the pages at this site.

> Are you using Firefox as your browser??

I just tried it in Internet Explorer and see no substantive
difference to the directions I give above.

I normally use Firefox.

Reading your oil loss records with some interest. Caught my
eye because mine seems to vary on my 91 Civic as well, at
202k miles. I was a little worried over a period of a few
months this past summer, but then it tapered off mightily.

Old January 30th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote
>> "Elle" > wrote
>>> Go to site https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp.
>>> On
>>> the left, click on "Owner's Manuals." Follow the
>>> pointers.
>>> Once you arrive at the pdf file, it may appear that only
>>> one
>>> page has come up. In fact, page numbers that are
>>> highlighted
>>> within the pdf file are links on which you can click to
>>> take
>>> you to the page. Also, in the upper right hand corner of
>>> any
>>> white page look for an arrow. Click the right arrow to
>>> get
>>> to the next page. Lastly, pressing "Ctrl-A" will permit
>>> easier reading of some of the pages at this site.

>> Are you using Firefox as your browser??

> I just tried it in Internet Explorer and see no substantive
> difference to the directions I give above.
>
> I normally use Firefox.

The reason I ask is because I too have a problem reading some pages in
the Techinfo site. But only in Firefox. IE shows everything fine. In
Firefox some of the Techinfo pages have blue backgrounds, making text
hard to read unles you hit "Ctrl-A" first.

It seems some Web developers create sites and pages for IE only, not
bothering to check for compatibility with other browsers. Techinfo is
one of those.

There is a fix for Firefox, though. It's an Add-On called IE Tab.
Install that. Ff a page in Firefox looks weird, you can now right-click
in the window to get the drop-down menu, then choose "View Page in IE
Tab".

IE Tab works very well, obviating the need for the "Ctrl-A" trick.

> Reading your oil loss records with some interest. Caught my
> eye because mine seems to vary on my 91 Civic as well, at
> 202k miles. I was a little worried over a period of a few
> months this past summer, but then it tapered off mightily.

I posted a question about that very issue in rec.autos.tech a few months
ago. I think basically nobody knows why this happens.

Just rolled over 298,000 yesterday. Less than 2,000 miles to go!

Old January 30th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote
About using Firefox for the aforementioned owner's manual
web site:
> The reason I ask is because I too have a problem reading
> some pages in
> the Techinfo site. But only in Firefox. IE shows
> everything fine. In
> Firefox some of the Techinfo pages have blue backgrounds,
> making text
> hard to read unles you hit "Ctrl-A" first.
>
> It seems some Web developers create sites and pages for IE
> only, not
> bothering to check for compatibility with other browsers.
> Techinfo is
> one of those.
>
> There is a fix for Firefox, though. It's an Add-On called
> IE Tab.
> Install that. Ff a page in Firefox looks weird, you can
> now right-click
> in the window to get the drop-down menu, then choose "View
> Page in IE
> Tab".
>
> IE Tab works very well, obviating the need for the
> "Ctrl-A" trick.

I updated Firefox not long ago and it changed something in a
way I did not like. Hence I now avoid updates etc. unless
it's essential. Yes, I have been told that this is a little
risky. Yet sometimes I think there's a lot of nonsense going
around about virus risks, etc. Software companies selling
their wares.

So thanks anyway.

> I posted a question about that very issue in
> rec.autos.tech a few months
> ago. I think basically nobody knows why this happens.
>
> Just rolled over 298,000 yesterday. Less than 2,000 miles
> to go!

You do not buy the collapsed oil control ring spacer theory
you posted recently here? I have not given this any study,
other than noting you noted it.

Old January 30th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote

> I updated Firefox not long ago and it changed something in a
> way I did not like. Hence I now avoid updates etc. unless
> it's essential. Yes, I have been told that this is a little
> risky. Yet sometimes I think there's a lot of nonsense going
> around about virus risks, etc. Software companies selling
> their wares.
>
> So thanks anyway.

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 (latest update).

The only Add-On I have installed is IE Tab, just because I hate having to
go to IE for the few pages that don't work right in Firefox. I do allow
Firefox to upgrade whenever it prompts me to, and I've found Firefox to be
completely stable and reliable.

>> I posted a question about that very issue in
>> rec.autos.tech a few months
>> ago. I think basically nobody knows why this happens.
>>
>> Just rolled over 298,000 yesterday. Less than 2,000 miles
>> to go!

> You do not buy the collapsed oil control ring spacer theory
> you posted recently here? I have not given this any study,
> other than noting you noted it.

The collapsed oil control ring theory came from a tech who posts in
rec.autos.tech. It sounds plausible to me, but without tearing the motor
apart, who knows for sure? In light of the fact that's it's academic
anyway, I do subscribe to that theory.

Old January 30th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> "Elle" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Tegger" > wrote

>> I updated Firefox not long ago and it changed something in a
>> way I did not like. Hence I now avoid updates etc. unless
>> it's essential. Yes, I have been told that this is a little
>> risky. Yet sometimes I think there's a lot of nonsense going
>> around about virus risks, etc. Software companies selling
>> their wares.
>>
>> So thanks anyway.

> I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 (latest update).
>
> The only Add-On I have installed is IE Tab, just because I hate having to
> go to IE for the few pages that don't work right in Firefox. I do allow
> Firefox to upgrade whenever it prompts me to, and I've found Firefox to be
> completely stable and reliable.
>

>>> I posted a question about that very issue in
>>> rec.autos.tech a few months
>>> ago. I think basically nobody knows why this happens.
>>>
>>> Just rolled over 298,000 yesterday. Less than 2,000 miles
>>> to go!

>> You do not buy the collapsed oil control ring spacer theory
>> you posted recently here? I have not given this any study,
>> other than noting you noted it.
>>

> The collapsed oil control ring theory came from a tech who posts in
> rec.autos.tech. It sounds plausible to me, but without tearing the motor
> apart, who knows for sure?

just 'cos he posts on .tech, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking
about - this is usenet. another "tech" forum i frequent has a certain
poster that asserts himself to be an engineer from a certain prestigious
university, but is the most frightful bull****ter with wildly
underinformed guesses on a whole bunch of subjects about which he
clearly knows nothing. but because he writes in a definite
authoritative style, and asserts expertise, others get suckered into
believing what he writes. and worse, no one else questions! one such
subject is metal fatigue, a subject i studied for many years and on
which i happen to have some experience - so i /know/ this guy's just
guessing [bull****ting].

bottom line: guesses are fine, but guesses presented as fact? not
smart. here's a fact for you though - collapsed rings burn oil - and
it's a one-way street that only increases. collapsed ring consumption
is significant. yours is [was] highish, but is not sufficient to
support this "theory".

[there /is/ a reason i don't bother with r.a.t...]

Old January 30th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> The couple who sold it to me did not have it. Thank you.

www.soupdown.com

---------------------------

Something you won't find in the CR-V Owner's Manual: The truth about how
often you should change the Dual Pump Fluid (rear differential) and how
often you should adjust the valves. Both @ (50,000 Km) 30,000 Miles.

Here's a sample thread.

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=31226

'Curly'
Old January 30th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> Tegger wrote:

>> The collapsed oil control ring theory came from a tech who posts in
>> rec.autos.tech. It sounds plausible to me, but without tearing the
>> motor apart, who knows for sure?

> just 'cos he posts on .tech, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking
> about - this is usenet.

I quite agree. But as I said, it was a theory. It was not presented as
anything authoritative.

> bottom line: guesses are fine, but guesses presented as fact?

This theory was never presented to me as fact.