How To Replace Burned Out Headlight - Civic 2001 LX

Old November 17th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default How To Replace Burned Out Headlight - Civic 2001 LX

I wanted to help those who are like me. People who have: 1) lost their
manual and don't want to take out a small loan to buy a replacement 2)
have burned out light bulbs 3) are cheap and don't want to pay someone
to do it 4) have looked online and haven't been able to find any
anwers.

This may apply to Honda Civic's for 2001 through 2004, but I'm not
sure. I can only speak for my 2001 Civic LX. I may add pictures later
(if people ask or need).

Btw - this is not an official way to do things. The manual may say
something different, and I may be omitting some steps that may be
important, but if you just want to get the job done this instructional
may provide at least some confidence.

I have found the driver's side headlamp to be the easiest one to
replace. There's a small bottle that stands in the way. It may be
steering fluid or transmission fluid of some sort. Just lift it up and
out of the way and turn it so you can access the small area behind the
headlamp.

You'll see a black round rubbery flange type of covering (approx 4-5"
wide) with a black squarish rectangular plastic box (a little over an
inch wide) with wires attached to it in the center. Make sure your
headlights are turned off. Pull the black rectangular plastic box off
first. This is the plug to the headlamp.

Next pull off the black rubber thing. This is the cover and insulation
to the headlamp. Next is the tricky part. There's a round metal wire
that goes around the lamp. It's job is to secure the headlamp in place
and make sure it doesn't rattle around when driving. It kind of hangs
on one or two tiny little clips. Pull the round wire upwards and lift
it over the clip(s). Then you can pull the wire away and down from the
headlamp.

Btw - I usually use the Sylvania cool blue type of headlamp. It can be
found at Kragen's for around $13 per bulb part number 9003. I don't
like the totally blue ones because my eyes don't seem to respond well
to the blue light.

Once the wire is out of the way the bulb is easy to remove. Put the
new bulb in, but try not to touch it with your fingertips as I've been
told oils from your fingers can drastically shorten the bulb's life.
Check the appearance of the bulb as it rests inside the housing. It
should appear like the bulb on the opposite side. There are three tabs
on the bulb. One tab should be facing straight up and the other two
tabs should be facing downwards at near 45 degree angles.

The bulbs I just replaced in my car (both) were only used for about 3
months so apparently I got really crappy life out of both (neither
were replaced by me).

After putting the new bulb in and making sure it is oriented
correctly, pull the wire up and around the bulb. You will notice that
the wire has the ability to completely retract below the headlamp
housing so it may have hidden itself down below while you were futzing
around with the headlamp. Just pull it back out so you can pull it
over the headlamp and onto the clips again.

Put the black rubber thing over the assembly and secure it. Then take
the three pronged plug (black rectangular box with the wires attached)
and secure it to the three prongs sticking out of the black rubber. If
you don't see three metal prongs sticking out, then you have to
reposition the black rubber thing so that the plugs of the headlamp
are coming through the center hole of the black rubber.

Turn your headlights on to see if it works. Now make sure you take the
little bottle of steering fluid/transmission fluid (whatever) and put
it back in place so when you close the hood it won't get in the way.

Congratulations: You're finished! Do the same with the other side. The
other side may be easier to work with depending on each person. As far
as I know there's nothing to remove to get access to the rear side.
Just get in there and do your thing.
Old November 29th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Just had to change the driver's side light on my 2001 Honda Civic
today. This post helped so much.

Thanks,
mary

Old April 22nd 13, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:43:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> [...]
> over the headlamp and onto the clips again.
>
> Put the black rubber thing over the assembly and secure it. Then take
> the three pronged plug (black rectangular box with the wires attached)
> and secure it to the three prongs sticking out of the black rubber. If
> you don't see three metal prongs sticking out, then you have to
> reposition the black rubber thing so that the plugs of the headlamp
> are coming through the center hole of the black rubber.
>
> Turn your headlights on to see if it works. Now make sure you take the
> little bottle of steering fluid/transmission fluid (whatever) and put
> it back in place so when you close the hood it won't get in the way.
>
> Congratulations: You're finished! Do the same with the other side. The
> other side may be easier to work with depending on each person. As far
> as I know there's nothing to remove to get access to the rear side.

AWESOME!!

how to change 2001 honda civic EX headlight dino d. Technology 2 November 3rd 06 06:48 PM
replace burned out light speedometer wp51dos Honda 0 October 18th 06 10:03 PM
Civic headlight replace? BE Honda 13 December 15th 05 07:46 PM
Shift indicator light burned out on 95 Civic DesignGuy Honda 1 August 26th 05 07:29 PM