TPMS Mystery Solved!

Old January 26th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

Default TPMS Mystery Solved!

Okay, I know it wasnt really a mystery, but I took my 2008 Accord to the
dealer today and found out that apparently it is a common and known issue
for the TPMS light to come on during cold weather on the Accords.

Theres nothing wrong with it, its just more sensitive than maybe some other
cars TPMS systems according to the Service Manager at Honda. He said that if
the system was really malfunctioning there would be another light for that,
but the one I saw was just for the pressure drop. I had a few pounds of air
put in the tires, had the car washed and vacuumed and off I went. He also
checked everything including nails in the tires etc and everything was okay.
I'm surprised no one else in here had that happen yet. But maybe you all
live in warmer climates I don't know.

Old January 26th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John Grossbohlin

"alfred" > wrote in message
| Okay, I know it wasnt really a mystery, but I took my 2008 Accord to the
| dealer today and found out that apparently it is a common and known issue
| for the TPMS light to come on during cold weather on the Accords.
|
| Theres nothing wrong with it, its just more sensitive than maybe some
other
| cars TPMS systems according to the Service Manager at Honda. He said that
if
| the system was really malfunctioning there would be another light for
that,
| but the one I saw was just for the pressure drop. I had a few pounds of
air
| put in the tires, had the car washed and vacuumed and off I went. He also
| checked everything including nails in the tires etc and everything was
okay.
| I'm surprised no one else in here had that happen yet. But maybe you all
| live in warmer climates I don't know.

When I picked up my car the sales rep mentioned that this might happen...
hasn't, but at least I know it might happen.

John

Old January 27th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

John Grossbohlin wrote:
> "alfred" > wrote in message
> | Okay, I know it wasnt really a mystery, but I took my 2008 Accord to the
> | dealer today and found out that apparently it is a common and known issue
> | for the TPMS light to come on during cold weather on the Accords.
> |
> | Theres nothing wrong with it, its just more sensitive than maybe some
> other
> | cars TPMS systems according to the Service Manager at Honda. He said that
> if
> | the system was really malfunctioning there would be another light for
> that,
> | but the one I saw was just for the pressure drop. I had a few pounds of
> air
> | put in the tires, had the car washed and vacuumed and off I went. He also
> | checked everything including nails in the tires etc and everything was
> okay.
> | I'm surprised no one else in here had that happen yet. But maybe you all
> | live in warmer climates I don't know.
> |

> When I picked up my car the sales rep mentioned that this might happen...
> hasn't, but at least I know it might happen.

amazing - a tire pressure monitor that might work.
Old January 27th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Tire Pressure Changes Approx. 1psi For Every 10F. WAS: TPMSMystery Solved!

TomP wrote:
> Tire pressure changes approx. 1psi for every 10 degs F.
>
> That light means the tire pressure IS low! Cold weather or not, when
> the flat tire light comes on.
>
> CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE IN ALL THE TIRES... And, don't forget to check
> the spare.
>
> This mandated safety feature (thank you Ford and Firestone)

hey - it's all ford, not firestone. and it's nothing to do with air
pressure. there's absolutely no way a vehicle should roll just because
it has a flat - regardless of how it happens. it's a fundamental ford
design problem. and they knew it. anyone buying the b.s. about it
being a tire problem is both missing the engineering fundamentals and
being politically naive.

Old January 27th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

jim beam wrote:

> hey - it's all ford, not firestone. and it's nothing to do with air
> pressure. there's absolutely no way a vehicle should roll just because
> it has a flat - regardless of how it happens. it's a fundamental ford
> design problem. and they knew it. anyone buying the b.s. about it
> being a tire problem is both missing the engineering fundamentals and
> being politically naive.

--------------------

Yep. When attacked, always gather the lawyers in a circle . . . . (and
find someone else to blame).

'Curly'
Old January 27th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TomP wrote:
> Firestone will forever be attached to that fiasco, regardless of their
> innocence.
>
> And, any car can be tripped and caused to roll, given the right dynamics. If I
> recall many of these vehicles involved roll over crashes were also over (or
> incorrectly) loaded.
>
> Who's fault is that?

ford. leaf spring rear, no lateral support like panhard rod, and that
RIDICULOUS front suspension where the camber of the front wheel is fixed
to the arc of the lower strut radius - that's a killer combination.
cheap as hell though. and ford did their "cost of lawsuit vs. cost of
manufacture" calculations and decided they'd proceed.

since this is a honda forum, you show me a junkyard honda that's rolled.
i visit junkyards regularly and have seen literally thousands of
crashed hondas over the years. i can count on the fingers of one hand
the hondas i've seen that have rolled, and even then, i'll bet that was
because they were already in a ditch first. and when it's rolled, the
roof doesn't collapse like ford. /that/ is why the exploder is a killer
- not only does it roll, the roof collapses and crushes the occupants.
ken lay was going to do time for enron? he never killed anyone. ford
management? i'd have those assholes in the electric chair.

Old January 27th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Greg Campbell

jim beam wrote:

> ford. leaf spring rear, no lateral support like panhard rod, and that
> RIDICULOUS front suspension where the camber of the front wheel is fixed
> to the arc of the lower strut radius - that's a killer combination.
> cheap as hell though. and ford did their "cost of lawsuit vs. cost of
> manufacture" calculations and decided they'd proceed.

Jim, I've looked about, but can't find a 'definitive' site discussing
the Explorer suspension failings. Got a good link?

Thanks
Old January 27th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Greg Campbell wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> ford. leaf spring rear, no lateral support like panhard rod, and that
>> RIDICULOUS front suspension where the camber of the front wheel is
>> fixed to the arc of the lower strut radius - that's a killer
>> combination. cheap as hell though. and ford did their "cost of
>> lawsuit vs. cost of manufacture" calculations and decided they'd proceed.

> Jim, I've looked about, but can't find a 'definitive' site discussing
> the Explorer suspension failings. Got a good link?
>
> Thanks

you'll have to look yourself on that - my comments are my opinion based
on physical observation of the design which is as described.

front suspension is:

x----||

where "x" is the pivot and "||" is the wheel.

as the suspension member rotates about x, the camber of the wheel
changes dramatically. not only does this cause issues with the amount
of contact patch on the road [and therefore traction], it's a stability
issue as it's changing the wheel's intersection point with the road.
Old January 31st 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Jan 26, 5:26 pm, "alfred" > wrote:
> Okay, I know it wasnt really a mystery, but I took my 2008 Accord to the
> dealer today and found out that apparently it is a common and known issue
> for the TPMS light to come on during cold weather on the Accords.
>
> Theres nothing wrong with it, its just more sensitive than maybe some other
> cars TPMS systems according to the Service Manager at Honda. He said that if
> the system was really malfunctioning there would be another light for that,
> but the one I saw was just for the pressure drop. I had a few pounds of air
> put in the tires, had the car washed and vacuumed and off I went. He also
> checked everything including nails in the tires etc and everything was okay.
> I'm surprised no one else in here had that happen yet. But maybe you all
> live in warmer climates I don't know.

What you had ON was the TPMS light or the "Lower Tire Pressure
Indicator" light ?, I am asking because I had today the TPMS, and the
user guide says this is a malfunction in the system, please could you
confirm, thanks
Old February 2nd 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

> What you had ON was the TPMS light or the "Lower Tire Pressure
> Indicator" light ?, I am asking because I had today the TPMS, and the
> user guide says this is a malfunction in the system, please could you
> confirm, thanks

Yes, my light was the lower pressure light. Sounds like yours was the
malfunction light for TPMS if it actually lit up as TPMS on the dash board.

Al