96 C4 Cruise Not working

Old July 11th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 96 C4 Cruise Not working

The Cruise on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to get
this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a dash
light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I checked the
fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking it
may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any ideas
would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines and
didn't even bother to check them yet.

Thanks,
Dave

Old July 11th 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The Cruise on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to
> get
> this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a dash
> light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I checked
> the
> fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking
> it
> may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any ideas
> would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines
> and
> didn't even bother to check them yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

This is a complex system that requires an electrical schematics to
diagnose correctly. Some simple things to check, which you have
already started, if these are ok than you may need a professional to
fix it. Check the fuse, the power, and continuity at the vacuum pod
switch and the 2 part brake light switch behind the brake pedal. Get a
friend with a similar model to compare it's operation to yours. My
guess would be vacuum.

Last but not the least important, check to see if the CHMSL (center
high mounted stop light, third brake lights) are working. Seems the
cruise circuit uses the CHMSL bulbs for a ground or at least part of
the circuit, if one is out the cruise control won't engage in some
cases.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old July 11th 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Jul 11, 2:22 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> The Cruise on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to
> > get
> > this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a dash
> > light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I checked
> > the
> > fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking
> > it
> > may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any ideas
> > would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines
> > and
> > didn't even bother to check them yet.

> > Thanks,
> > Dave

> This is a complex system that requires an electrical schematics to
> diagnose correctly. Some simple things to check, which you have
> already started, if these are ok than you may need a professional to
> fix it. Check the fuse, the power, and continuity at the vacuum pod
> switch and the 2 part brake light switch behind the brake pedal. Get a
> friend with a similar model to compare it's operation to yours. My
> guess would be vacuum.
>
> Last but not the least important, check to see if the CHMSL (center
> high mounted stop light, third brake lights) are working. Seems the
> cruise circuit uses the CHMSL bulbs for a ground or at least part of
> the circuit, if one is out the cruise control won't engage in some
> cases.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

OK thanks but is there a light of some sort that should come on and if
there is will it come on when the switch is in the on position or does
the vehicle have to be moving for the light to come on?

Old July 11th 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 11, 2:22 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...> The
>> Cruise on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to
>> > get
>> > this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a
>> > dash
>> > light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I
>> > checked
>> > the
>> > fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm
>> > thinking
>> > it
>> > may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any
>> > ideas
>> > would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines
>> > and
>> > didn't even bother to check them yet.

>> > Thanks,
>> > Dave

>> This is a complex system that requires an electrical schematics to
>> diagnose correctly. Some simple things to check, which you have
>> already started, if these are ok than you may need a professional
>> fix it. Check the fuse, the power, and continuity at the vacuum pod
>> switch and the 2 part brake light switch behind the brake pedal.
>> Get a
>> friend with a similar model to compare it's operation to yours. My
>> guess would be vacuum.
>>
>> Last but not the least important, check to see if the CHMSL (center
>> high mounted stop light, third brake lights) are working. Seems the
>> cruise circuit uses the CHMSL bulbs for a ground or at least part
>> of
>> the circuit, if one is out the cruise control won't engage in some
>> cases.
>>
>> --
>> Dad
>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

> OK thanks but is there a light of some sort that should come on and
> if
> there is will it come on when the switch is in the on position or
> does
> the vehicle have to be moving for the light to come on?

I have no idea, it has been 10 years since I've driven a C4. The C5
and 6 has a message in the DIC that says "Cruise set XXX" and then
goes out.

Old July 11th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
charlie

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 11, 2:22 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...> The Cruise
>> on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to
>> > get
>> > this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a dash
>> > light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I checked
>> > the
>> > fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking
>> > it
>> > may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any ideas
>> > would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines
>> > and
>> > didn't even bother to check them yet.

>> > Thanks,
>> > Dave

>> This is a complex system that requires an electrical schematics to
>> diagnose correctly. Some simple things to check, which you have
>> already started, if these are ok than you may need a professional to
>> fix it. Check the fuse, the power, and continuity at the vacuum pod
>> switch and the 2 part brake light switch behind the brake pedal. Get a
>> friend with a similar model to compare it's operation to yours. My
>> guess would be vacuum.
>>
>> Last but not the least important, check to see if the CHMSL (center
>> high mounted stop light, third brake lights) are working. Seems the
>> cruise circuit uses the CHMSL bulbs for a ground or at least part of
>> the circuit, if one is out the cruise control won't engage in some
>> cases.
>>
>> --
>> Dad
>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

> OK thanks but is there a light of some sort that should come on and if
> there is will it come on when the switch is in the on position or does
> the vehicle have to be moving for the light to come on?

no, there is no light or any other indication that it is in operation
besides the gas pedal going up and down.

Old July 22nd 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Scubabix

oups.com...> The Cruise on
my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to
>> > get
>> > this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a dash
>> > light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I checked
>> > the
>> > fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking
>> > it
>> > may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any ideas
>> > would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines
>> > and
>> > didn't even bother to check them yet.

>> > Thanks,
>> > Dave

>> This is a complex system that requires an electrical schematics to
>> diagnose correctly. Some simple things to check, which you have
>> already started, if these are ok than you may need a professional to
>> fix it. Check the fuse, the power, and continuity at the vacuum pod
>> switch and the 2 part brake light switch behind the brake pedal. Get a
>> friend with a similar model to compare it's operation to yours. My
>> guess would be vacuum.
>>
>> Last but not the least important, check to see if the CHMSL (center
>> high mounted stop light, third brake lights) are working. Seems the
>> cruise circuit uses the CHMSL bulbs for a ground or at least part of
>> the circuit, if one is out the cruise control won't engage in some
>> cases.
>>
>> --
>> Dad
>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

> OK thanks but is there a light of some sort that should come on and if
> there is will it come on when the switch is in the on position or does
> the vehicle have to be moving for the light to come on?

I had the same problem and it was just the vacuum line. My troubleshooting
training has always been to check the cheapest, easiest thing first.
Rob

Cruise Control not working [email protected] Honda 2 August 18th 06 03:20 PM
cruise control not working chas Audi 1 July 29th 06 02:56 AM
Cruise Control not working JH Corvette 1 March 12th 05 06:58 AM
cruise control not working. ljadkins Ford Mustang 2 February 19th 05 07:53 AM
speedometer cruise not working taillight Saturn 1 October 13th 04 08:37 AM