Why is Race getting bad reviews?

Old November 4th 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Default Why is Race getting bad reviews?

Mitch_A wrote:
> We will just have to disagree then Tony Not the first time eh?

Absolutely! It is the finding out why someone likes something that
really matters though. With our finicky PC setups it isn't always down
to just personal preference but can be an entry in an ini file or
something that makes the key difference.

> On your suggestion here I d/l'd ETCC03 1.11 and I must say its a very nice
> mod but not nearly the caliber of the Race Demo. ETCC feels like Im running
> on glass behind a singer sewing machine While the Race Demo is very
> limited and seems an early build it at least conveys to me that Im driving
> an actual Race Car witha real suspension on a race track with elevation. On
> the looks side Id say either is more than adequate for me its the physics I
> want

Which is the complete opposite for me. Like I said above maybe there is
something different with my setup. rFactor has been on my machine a long
time, so no doubt I have added FFB tweaks, found the perfect FOV,
graphics settings etc. The ETCC03 1.1 mod feels well connected to the
road, whereas RACE just feels like an older sim (a bit like the DICE
STCC sim). Not just in feel but in graphics style. I am not going to
insult anyone by saying it is arcade but it feels more like a computer
game to me than conveying a sense of being in a car.

It seems almost impossible to me that this should be the case and
something must be wrong with my setup, but I don't seem to be alone with
the view.

> Oh well I do hope they a good job on th eAI in Race

The GTR2 AI seems pretty good so I would hope so.

> I could also make the case Race will be better for use in a league for the
> simple fact Race encrypts many of the files that some take unfair advantage
> of in online races. Beyond that it would also eliminate the rFactor
> car/track Dance that we must do just about every weekend to race.

We will need to see how good the netcode is. rFactor still seems king at
the moment.

Cheers
Tony
Old November 4th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

How much time did you invest in the Race demo? I say this because like you
the first 1/2 hour or so (pre-tweaking) I also was a bit disappointed. It
wasnt till I came back to it a second time w/tweaks in hand and really
focused on just turning laps for a couple hours that I found the groove. I
must say this effort paid off as it really did the trick in swaying me to
Race. Between GTR2 and Race its almost sad for me in a way because all of a
sudden rFactor/mods seem almost dated/sharewareish

That and so many of the mods/converted tracks just plain suck. I feel like
a guinea pig for all of these folks that hone their modeling/graphics skills
with these mods and as soon as they get good enough they go commercial. I
wouldnt go get a free haircut from a trainee either, but hey thats me A
nice shiny sim on an old converted crap track does not a sim make IMHO

Mitch

.uk...

Old November 4th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Mitch_A wrote:
> How much time did you invest in the Race demo? I say this because like you
> the first 1/2 hour or so (pre-tweaking) I also was a bit disappointed. It
> wasnt till I came back to it a second time w/tweaks in hand and really
> focused on just turning laps for a couple hours that I found the groove. I
> must say this effort paid off as it really did the trick in swaying me to
> Race.

A fair effort. Today I managed to copy my FFB settings from GTR2 (I
downloaded a set for my DFP) and created a new FF entry for RACE (it
isn't in the PLR file).

It improved things but I still find the ETCC03 mod for rFactor a more
immersive drive. Not just the feel but the look of the cars and tracks
too. The cars look a bit toy like in RACE for me, plus the track
textures (very black) I am less keen on. The sound maybe similar to what
the guys hear with a helmet on, but I am prepared to sacrifice some
realism for a more raunchy sound.

> Between GTR2 and Race its almost sad for me in a way because all of a
> sudden rFactor/mods seem almost dated/sharewareish

I believe rFactor has really come of age recently. The concept of
"amateur" modding groups using rFactor as a base has certainly created
some variable quality mods. Yet recently we have seen some excellent
ones. I personally find it incredible the amount of time & effort the
modding groups put in, such that the level of perfectionism is greater
than any commercial outfit can afford to do. It has taken time for the
great mods to come through but we are seeing them now. The others will
simply disappear from the online servers.

> That and so many of the mods/converted tracks just plain suck. I feel like
> a guinea pig for all of these folks that hone their modeling/graphics skills
> with these mods and as soon as they get good enough they go commercial. I
> wouldnt go get a free haircut from a trainee either, but hey thats me A
> nice shiny sim on an old converted crap track does not a sim make IMHO

I tend to use rfactorcentral (www.rfactorcentral.com) to help decide if
a mod is worth downloading. If you don't want to feel like a guinea pig
waiting for the feedback scores on that site can be a useful guide.

There are plenty of very good modding teams doing it as a pure passion.
rFactor spent a long time unused on my hard disk, but now is on a level
with the community mods to the fully featured commercial offerings. The
poll on RSC is almost exactly split between GTR2 and rFactor showing it
is very much down to personal preference.

Cheers
Tony
Old November 5th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

Mitch_A wrote:
> GTR2 best yet IMO. Even the slightest setup change and I can feel it.

Exactly. That is why I enjoy GTR2 so much now. TBH, a few rF mods come
close to that GTR2 feel, the ETCC mod being a good example. Also the new
F430 mod physics feel right (I mean, well connected to the track and
settings, I am less sure about the accuracy w.r.t. the modelled road car
but it's fun to drive anyway).

For me, it is really a tie between rF and GTR2 currently - especially
given the fact that only rF does model open wheelers at this time.

I hope the best for Race, it's just that demo doesn't cut it for me
right now. As Tony wrote, this might come down to tweaks, hardware or
just personal preference.

Regards,
Mr. S.
Old November 5th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

One thing I hadnt considered. Ive been running Barcelona for the past few
days in GTR2 and the Barcelona in rFactor is a very poor quality conversion
(like running on glass). Later Im going to grab Toban for GTR2 for a more
accurate comparison of the sims and not the tracks.

Mitch

news

Old November 20th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Mitch_A wrote:
> One thing I hadnt considered. Ive been running Barcelona for the past few
> days in GTR2 and the Barcelona in rFactor is a very poor quality conversion
> (like running on glass). Later Im going to grab Toban for GTR2 for a more
> accurate comparison of the sims and not the tracks.

I decided to give RACE another go. I generally run a low FOV but tried a
higher FOV than default and moved the seat forward. This transformed the
feel which I find quite bizarre. With rFactor and GTR2 I can run as low
a FOV as I can get away with and view the dash, as I find it gives a
more immersive view of the track plus I am running widescreen. With RACE
I needed a much higher FOV but the track looked ok.

I wonder if the demo defaults to an ultra low FOV?

Anyway, changing this got rid of the nasty floaty feeling and weird
movement of the car to steering inputs. I still don't like the textures
as much as GTR2 and the cars don't look as good as the ETCC rFactor
models but then it may be down the the horrid colour schemes of the demo
cars!

I am sure my beloved Alfa 156 will look lovely

The sound of the SEAT is much more sport sounding than the BMW which is
drowned by transmission whine - which may well be true to life but I
don't like it.

After driving the ETCC mod for a bit I have quite got into FWD sim race
cars. ETCC & RACE seems to have got it right for the first time in my
view. At least both have the BMW for those that abhor FWDs!

Cheers
Tony