Massachusetts official faces charges for painting crosswalks

Old July 30th 15, 07:53 PM posted to ne.politics, sac.politics, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.obama, rec.autos.driving
We Don't Need Any Help

Default Massachusetts official faces charges for painting crosswalks

A Massachusetts town selectman who painted over fading
crosswalks in his town in response to complaints from
constituents was criminally charged on Tuesday for his efforts.

George Simolaris, a selectman in Billerica, about 25 miles from
Boston, said he was tired of constituents asking when the white
paint would be freshened up, so he fixed the problem himself. He
said he bought cans of green paint, the town's official color,
and spent the weekend painting over six faded crosswalks.

"All I've heard for months is: 'When is this going to get
done?'" Simolaris said. "I got sick of it."

Police and town officials said painting the street without
authorization was illegal and charged him with two counts of
destruction of property, according to Billerica police spokesman
Roy Frost.

Town Manager John Curran said the town was in the midst of a
$400,000 pedestrian safety project that requires digging up the
street including some of the crosswalks in question, which are
slated to be repainted once construction is complete.

He added that Simolaris would be required to repay the $4,000
cost of cleaning up the paint, which he said chipped and smeared.

"His job is to uphold laws not break them," Curran said. "He has
no respect for the governmental process."

Simolaris defended his actions.

"I'm just trying to do right by the people in my town," he said.
"I didn't think I was intervening in other people's day-to-day
activities or doing anything wrong."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...massachusetts-
paint-idUSKCN0PV29H20150721

Old July 30th 15, 08:06 PM posted to ne.politics,sac.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.obama,rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:53:20 +0200 (CEST), "We Don't Need Any Help"
> wrote:

>A Massachusetts town selectman who painted over fading
>crosswalks in his town in response to complaints from
>constituents was criminally charged on Tuesday for his efforts.
>
>George Simolaris, a selectman in Billerica, about 25 miles from
>Boston, said he was tired of constituents asking when the white
>paint would be freshened up, so he fixed the problem himself. He
>said he bought cans of green paint, the town's official color,
>and spent the weekend painting over six faded crosswalks.
>
>"All I've heard for months is: 'When is this going to get
>done?'" Simolaris said. "I got sick of it."
>
>Police and town officials said painting the street without
>authorization was illegal and charged him with two counts of
>destruction of property, according to Billerica police spokesman
>Roy Frost.
>
>Town Manager John Curran said the town was in the midst of a
>$400,000 pedestrian safety project that requires digging up the
>street including some of the crosswalks in question, which are
>slated to be repainted once construction is complete.
>
>He added that Simolaris would be required to repay the $4,000
>cost of cleaning up the paint, which he said chipped and smeared.
>
>"His job is to uphold laws not break them," Curran said. "He has
>no respect for the governmental process."
>
>Simolaris defended his actions.
>
>"I'm just trying to do right by the people in my town," he said.
>"I didn't think I was intervening in other people's day-to-day
>activities or doing anything wrong."
>
>http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...massachusetts-
>paint-idUSKCN0PV29H20150721

So typical of gvt. They won't be bothered to spend $200 on paint to
fix a NOW issue even temporarily and if anyone else does they have to
put the screws to them to prove that "the gvt is in charge here".

A very similar thing happened in Prescott AZ many years ago. Gvt V
citizen over stupid stupid stuff that should never wind up escalated
this way.

The most recent result of that issue is in this newspaper article from
several years back...

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?Section...cleID=1128 82

Doctor faces drug charges MLOM Driving 0 March 2nd 07 08:13 PM
Wife Of Daimler's Zetsche Faces Drinking Charges MoPar Man Chrysler 0 August 5th 05 07:35 PM
FS: 1988 BMW 635 CSi (massachusetts) Paul BMW 0 June 22nd 05 08:11 PM