96 civic auto trans problem

Old April 25th 12, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gary[_17_]

Default 96 civic auto trans problem

Hi all

Im hoping someone else has had this problem and lead me in the right
direction.i have a 96 civc automatic
What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good for
about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the car
and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for a
few minutes .then repeat it all
over again.

I have rebuilt the a4ra trans, put in new clutches and steels and all
seals ,and put in a re-manufactured torque convertor ,cleaned all the valve
bodys untill the valves would drop on thier own without getting hung up
,replaced a cpc broken spring .checked all solenoids.

I have pulled it out and disassembled for a 2nd time now.
What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good for
about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the car
and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for a
few minutes .

I hooked up a gauge to the line pressure port its 125-130 and steady until
the few minutes then it drops to between 20-40 lbs ,you can shut the thing
off for 30-45 seconds and restart and the pressure will return to normal and
go in gears again for another few minutes do you think it is a sticky valve
? ,i read the pump gears with a feeler gauge and they are within specs ,
thanks huge in advance.

Old April 25th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/25/2012 12:02 AM, Gary wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Im hoping someone else has had this problem and lead me in the right
> direction.i have a 96 civc automatic
> What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good for
> about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the car
> and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for a
> few minutes .then repeat it all
> over again.
>
> I have rebuilt the a4ra trans, put in new clutches and steels and all
> seals ,and put in a re-manufactured torque convertor ,cleaned all the valve
> bodys untill the valves would drop on thier own without getting hung up
> ,replaced a cpc broken spring .checked all solenoids.
>
> I have pulled it out and disassembled for a 2nd time now.
> What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good for
> about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the car
> and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for a
> few minutes .
>
> I hooked up a gauge to the line pressure port its 125-130 and steady until
> the few minutes then it drops to between 20-40 lbs ,you can shut the thing
> off for 30-45 seconds and restart and the pressure will return to normal and
> go in gears again for another few minutes do you think it is a sticky valve
> ? ,i read the pump gears with a feeler gauge and they are within specs ,
> thanks huge in advance.

have you put a meter on the electrical input for the control solenoids
and monitored their input? if the ecu is not giving them the correct
signal, then you will have all kinds of issues. for starters, try
measuring the line pressure with the solenoids unplugged and see if that
makes any difference.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 25th 12, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/25/2012 12:02 AM, Gary wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Im hoping someone else has had this problem and lead me in the right
> direction.i have a 96 civc automatic
> What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good for
> about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the car
> and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for a
> few minutes .then repeat it all
> over again.
>
> I have rebuilt the a4ra trans, put in new clutches and steels and all
> seals ,and put in a re-manufactured torque convertor ,cleaned all the valve
> bodys untill the valves would drop on thier own without getting hung up
> ,replaced a cpc broken spring .checked all solenoids.
>
> I have pulled it out and disassembled for a 2nd time now.
> What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good for
> about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the car
> and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for a
> few minutes .
>
> I hooked up a gauge to the line pressure port its 125-130 and steady until
> the few minutes then it drops to between 20-40 lbs ,you can shut the thing
> off for 30-45 seconds and restart and the pressure will return to normal and
> go in gears again for another few minutes do you think it is a sticky valve
> ? ,i read the pump gears with a feeler gauge and they are within specs ,
> thanks huge in advance.

and learn to cross post!

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 26th 12, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gary[_17_]

I have replaced the ecm with no change ,i have tried unhooking solenoids
still same pressue drop.
help me out what is cross posting ?

Old April 26th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/25/2012 10:34 PM, Gary wrote:

> "jim > wrote in message
>> On 04/25/2012 12:02 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Im hoping someone else has had this problem and lead me in the right
>>> direction.i have a 96 civc automatic
>>> What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good
>>> for
>>> about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the
>>> car
>>> and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for
>>> few minutes .then repeat it all
>>> over again.
>>>
>>> I have rebuilt the a4ra trans, put in new clutches and steels and all
>>> seals ,and put in a re-manufactured torque convertor ,cleaned all the
>>> valve
>>> bodys untill the valves would drop on thier own without getting hung up
>>> ,replaced a cpc broken spring .checked all solenoids.
>>>
>>> I have pulled it out and disassembled for a 2nd time now.
>>> What happens is the thing will go into all gears and run and shift good
>>> for
>>> about 5 minutes then it just like its in neutral.until you turn off the
>>> car
>>> and wait for 30 -45 seconds ,restart car and it will go in gear again for
>>> few minutes .
>>>
>>> I hooked up a gauge to the line pressure port its 125-130 and steady
>>> until
>>> the few minutes then it drops to between 20-40 lbs ,you can shut the
>>> thing
>>> off for 30-45 seconds and restart and the pressure will return to normal
>>> and
>>> go in gears again for another few minutes do you think it is a sticky
>>> valve
>>> ? ,i read the pump gears with a feeler gauge and they are within specs ,
>>> thanks huge in advance.
>>>

>> have you put a meter on the electrical input for the control solenoids and
>> monitored their input? if the ecu is not giving them the correct signal,
>> then you will have all kinds of issues. for starters, try measuring the
>> line pressure with the solenoids unplugged and see if that makes any
>> difference.
>>

>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum

people get bent out of shape about top posting too!

> I have replaced the ecm with no change ,i have tried unhooking solenoids
> still same pressue drop.

ok.

did this transmission have this problem before you did this work? you
said you'd replaced a cpc spring so i'm wondering if there was a reason
the original broke.

also, when the pressure drops, is it sudden, or gradual when you run the
line pressure gauge? if the former, there's some kind of hydraulic
circuit issue with a valve opening but not closing again rather than
pump or wear leakage which tends to be gradual as temp increases.

as to what hydraulic issue that might be, it's hard to say because it's
not a common fault so it's not like a load of people have experience of
it - and certainly not me.

bottom line, while i think it's awesome you're doing this, there comes a
point where practical reality outweighs the value of the science
project. more specifically, working used transmissions are so cheap,
the time spent fixing this is not well spent vs. just replacing it with
one that does work.

that said though, because i prefer a science project fix rather than
replacement myself, i'd buy a second transmission and strip the two down
side by side and see what's going on. maybe a ball bearing valve went awol?

good luck, and keep us posted.

> help me out what is cross posting ?

in the "to:" field at the top of your news reader, add all the groups
your posting to at once. much like you'd add multiple names to an
email. that way, the folk that read some groups and not others will
still see collective responses.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 27th 12, 05:33 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Gary[_17_]

the pressure drops off real quick ,also this is the same problem that i had
at first when i decided to pull and rebuild it.
im thinking it must be a stuck or leaking valve but what im not sure of is
how to find it because it does not do it until it warms up
the first time it will go for about 5 minutes ,then if shut off and
restarted it drops off in about a minute.

Old June 20th 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Cheah[_2_]

Honda gearbox ATF lacks a filter ( as per Larry Carley's article in www.aa1car.com ), user can fit a filter between ATF cooling ( return ) pipe & radiator. Since '05 this works well on my F20a's gearbox, same result in a '90s civic gearbox since 10'13.