Buying 2007 Accord

Old January 1st 14, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Buying 2007 Accord

Hi all,

I have been researching and shopping for used cars, and I test drove a 2007 Accord today, with 91K miles on it. Here is what I found:

1. The car pulls slightly to the left on highway.
2. The entire car as well as the steering wheel shudders slightly on highway
3. The car pulls to the left when braking at high speeds
3. There are some soft squeaky noises coming from inside the car on bumpy city roads
4. There are several small dents on top of the car, like those caused by hail

I also had it checked by my mechanic. He said that problems 1-3 may be fixed by wheel and tire balancing. He did not find any major issues with the car otherwise.

The dealer's listed price is $9,998. My mechanic said that this price is too high (I agree). He said he would offer $5,000 for this car if he were to buy it from a private party, but he added that dealers have a lot of overhead costs.

Can anyone tell me what would be a good deal for this car? If I were to offer the dealer something like $8,500, would that be too high or too low?

Here are the additional features that the dealer lists for this car:

Air Conditioning
Alloy Wheels
Anti-Lock Braking System
CD Changer/Stacker
Cloth Upholstery
Curtain Air Bags
Dual Air Bags
Heated Outside Mirrors
Keyless Entry
Power Door Locks
Power Driver'S Seat
Power Outside Mirrors
Power Sunroof
Security System
Side Impact Air Bags
Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Thanks much!
Fijoy
Old January 1st 14, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_2_]

> wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I have been researching and shopping for used cars, and I test drove a
> 2007 Accord today, with 91K miles on it. Here is what I found:

> Can anyone tell me what would be a good deal for this car? If I were to
> offer the dealer something like $8,500, would that be too high or too low?

Here's a place to start: (There are other sites, too.)

http://www.kbb.com/

Click on the green "What should I pay for a used car?" and have fun. The
model you're looking at is at least an EX, and you do need to input whatever
trim line it actually is.

Old January 2nd 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thank you, Howard. I had looked at KBB, and also other sites, including Edmunds, Clearbook, and NADA. I wasn't sure how inflated these prices online are, so wanted to get individual opinions.

Fijoy

Old January 2nd 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earl Grey

On 12/31/13, 9:15 PM, wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been researching and shopping for used cars, and I test drove a 2007 Accord today, with 91K miles on it. Here is what I found:
>
> 1. The car pulls slightly to the left on highway.
> 2. The entire car as well as the steering wheel shudders slightly on highway
> 3. The car pulls to the left when braking at high speeds
> 3. There are some soft squeaky noises coming from inside the car on bumpy city roads
> 4. There are several small dents on top of the car, like those caused by hail
>
> I also had it checked by my mechanic. He said that problems 1-3 may be fixed by wheel and tire balancing. He did not find any major issues with the car otherwise.
>
> The dealer's listed price is $9,998. My mechanic said that this price is too high (I agree). He said he would offer $5,000 for this car if he were to buy it from a private party, but he added that dealers have a lot of overhead costs.
>
> Can anyone tell me what would be a good deal for this car? If I were to offer the dealer something like $8,500, would that be too high or too low?
>
> Here are the additional features that the dealer lists for this car:
>
> Air Conditioning
> Alloy Wheels
> Anti-Lock Braking System
> CD Changer/Stacker
> Cloth Upholstery
> Curtain Air Bags
> Dual Air Bags
> Heated Outside Mirrors
> Keyless Entry
> Power Door Locks
> Power Driver'S Seat
> Power Outside Mirrors
> Power Sunroof
> Security System
> Side Impact Air Bags
> Steering Wheel Audio Controls
>
> Thanks much!
> Fijoy

Trim line, engine size, sedan/coupe, transmission?
Old January 2nd 14, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It's an EX Sedan, with Automatic transmission, with 4-cylinder engine.

Thanks,
Fijoy

Old January 2nd 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_13_]

Request the dealer fix your #1,2,3 (which are all probably related),
then drive it again, then decide if you want to buy it or not. Do not
give him a deposit first or it will never get done. It's his car now,
he should make it right.

But why are you chasing a car with so many problems? Your mechanic said
it 'may' be tires, but it also could be bent or worn suspension
components, CV joints, caliper problems, rotor problems, struts,
bushings, many different things or combinations of things. (not sure why
your mechanic couldn't determine or explain that)

And it doesn't have the radio you want.

I have an 07 EX with 90K and it has none of these issues, they are not
inherent to this vehicle.

Old January 2nd 14, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Hi Al,

Thanks much for the feedback. I talked to that dealer today morning, and asked them to fix (1) and (2). They said they would fix them by evening, but when I called in the evening, they said their mechanic did not find anything wrong with wheel alignment or tire balance.

You may be right in that the fix could be something more expensive.

At this point, I'm not sure if I want to pursue this car any more.

Thanks,
Fijoy