North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood

Old November 25th 13, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

Default North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood

On 2013-11-23, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:22:26 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> wrote:

>>> And if it is voluntary, it self selects the sober drivers. Any one under the influence of either drugs or alchohol would refuse.

>>It's not about drunk driving.
>>They are seeing how far they can push people and normalizing their
>>actions.
>>

> About 10 years ago there was a news story about cops who were stopping
> people to give them $10 gift cards as a reward for driving properly. I
> guess they were watching people and if you signaled your turns and
> such they would select you. If my memory is correct someone took them
> to court over being stopped and the court ruled that even if the cops
> where honestly trying to simply be nice and hand out gift cards it was
> illegal for them to do this as they had no probably cause to stop you.
> I think it was a state court. I suspect our schizophrenic US supreme
> court would say it was OK since they almost always bend over for the
> cops.

Yep, I feel this recent action for a 'study' would be upheld too.

The good driving cards is also odd. Why would cops want to risk pulling
people over needlessly? Why would people enjoy it? Cops could easily
note the plate number and send the card in the mail. I doubt anyone
would object to finding that in their mailbox.