Getting a 71 AMC 360. What is the difference in the Chrysler 360?

Old September 20th 12, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1[_3_]

Default Getting a 71 AMC 360. What is the difference in the Chrysler 360?

Getting a 1971 Matador 360, and used to have a 73 Plymouth Fury Wagon with
the 360. Can I look at similar performance/economy? This AMC comes with
dual exhausts standard, the Fury only had single. The AMC has a two-barrel
carb. Just wondering if the two were similar.
Old September 20th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

the one thing I recall was the dodge/Plymouth 360s had a cast crank that was
externally balanced so they took a special harmonic balancer and flywheel. I
also recall the AMC 360 had a side tilted distributor in the front like a
big block Chrysler engine ,but the distributor was tiled to the left side of
the engine and not the right. like Chrysler did with their big blocks.

here's some web info. this web site has some AMC stuff on it.

http://www.matadorcoupe.com/enginespecs.htm
AMC heads make their engines extremely competitive if not superior to other
small block engines. In 1970 all three blocks grew in deck height and the
strokes were increased on the 290 and 343. The 290 became the 304, and the
343 became the 360. For some reason, however, the 390 remained a 390 in
1970. It wasn't until 71 that the 390 was stroked to the 401. Like the 390,
the 401's crankshaft and connecting rods are forged steel. The other change
in 70 was the switch to the dog leg heads (again named after the exhaust
port shape). These heads are reported to flow 50% better on the exhaust side
than the rectangle port heads and are thus the best for performance. There
are two reasons for the flow increase: Firstly the area of the port is
larger, due to the dog leg. Secondly the shape of the port floor was changed
from a concave to a convex curve. The concave floor tended to bend the
exhaust flow upwards which caused turbulence when the flow was forced to go
down into the exhaust manifolds. By switching to a concave floor the
curvature of the flow starts in the head and proceeds much more smoothly
into the exhaust manifold resulting in less turbulence and better flow. As
before there were two versions, a small valve one for the 304 and a large
valve one for the 360/390/401. Again, like the 290, unless you have an
extremely radical 304, you're probably best to stick with the small valve
head on the 304. The late model 304 head is a good option for the early
290's but there are a few other things to consider, which are discussed
later.

I will tell you though the ability for parts for a 360 Chrysler engine is a
bit higher. and they are cheap to find in lots of junk yards....

"sctvguy1" > wrote in message
> Getting a 1971 Matador 360, and used to have a 73 Plymouth Fury Wagon with
> the 360. Can I look at similar performance/economy? This AMC comes with
> dual exhausts standard, the Fury only had single. The AMC has a
> two-barrel
> carb. Just wondering if the two were similar.

PHX Mopar Fall AMC AMC 1970 AMX 360 2dr ht Blu rsv.JPG (1/1)-08-11 Doby Car Show Photos 1 November 11th 09 07:19 AM
PHX Mopar Fall AMC AMC 1970 AMX 360 2dr ht Blu a signeage.JPG (1/1)-07-11 Doby Car Show Photos 0 November 11th 09 06:46 AM
AMC 360 V8 jerryg Jeep 7 December 11th 07 02:39 PM
AMC 360 V8 L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9956_] Auto Photos 1 December 9th 07 08:51 AM
Intro/Difference between AMC 304 and 360 83 CJ Jeep 9 January 2nd 05 03:24 AM