Alternator regulator voltage / 2003 Accord, 4 cyl.

Old February 16th 12, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default Alternator regulator voltage / 2003 Accord, 4 cyl.

On 02/16/2012 06:52 AM, Tegger wrote:
> Alan > wrote in
> :
>

>> I just want to be sure that the reason the prior battery failed in
>> less than 1 year is not due to my alternator/VR output.
>>

> If the system was overcharging to the point of battery damage, you'd have
> substantial boil-off of battery fluid (as you originally noted), your
> headlights would appear a bit too bright, and light bulbs would be failing
> all over the car.

bull****. you can crank bulbs up to 16V fully unregulated with no
problems unless you run them for ages like that. much more expensive
and immediate is battery failure, or even potentially ecu failure.

over-voltage is a serious problem - it needs to be dealt with
immediately, and proper diagnostics used. waiting for "bulbs to blow"
is simply retarded.

> I think your previous battery was just defective. It happens. Don't know
> what kind of battery you bought, but I've had excellent experiences with
> Interstate, and with Eveready.

how many batteries do you want to see him get through before you figure
out that maybe batteries go before bulbs?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old February 16th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-16 09:52 , Tegger wrote:
> Alan > wrote in
> :
>

>> I just want to be sure that the reason the prior battery failed in
>> less than 1 year is not due to my alternator/VR output.
>>

> If the system was overcharging to the point of battery damage, you'd have
> substantial boil-off of battery fluid (as you originally noted), your

IIRC the 'dying battery' made a bit of a sloshing sound, so I believe
the fluid was likely ok.

> headlights would appear a bit too bright, and light bulbs would be failing
> all over the car.
>
> I think your previous battery was just defective. It happens. Don't know
> what kind of battery you bought, but I've had excellent experiences with
> Interstate, and with Eveready.

It was a "NAPA" (UAP to Americans). On the day I needed a battery last
winter (-23°C outside), I could not find one with the proper fit at the
usual places (Canadian Tire, Wal*Mart and so on) and ended up at NAPA.
It was more expensive and allegedly a high end battery. We'll see how
the replacement does. If it dies next year I'll replace it with
something else rather than repeat the warranty silliness - too much loss
of time.

On my prior Honda I bought an Eveready at Wal*Mart to replace the
original and it was fine.

Old February 16th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-16 09:57 , jim beam wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 06:41 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

>> I just want to be sure that the reason the prior battery failed in less
>> than 1 year is not due to my alternator/VR output.

> as you should. batteries fail from over-voltage long before bulbs blow.
> in fact, bulbs are one of the last things to go. definitely make sure
> your regulator is within spec - you don't say who manufactured your
> alternator, but when denso regulators fail, over-voltage is one of their
> commonest modes.

It's the original alternator. Offhand I haven't dived into the car to
see who made it.

>> Your comments on OE v. aftermarket well noted.
>>

> tegger's a little over-dramatic on this. denso don't make regulators -
> they're sourced from a number of different suppliers, then used or
> re-sold by denso. same with bearings, etc. bottom line, if the
> components used are good, there's no reason after-market is any worse
> than o.e. the qualification to that statement however is that people
> buying after-market don't want to pay o.e. prices, so it's a loaded
> gamble that they're going to get lower quality.

If I need a new alternator (doesn't look that way now) I'll either get
it at Honda (probably in NY state - everything is cheaper there than at
Honda Canada even after paying taxes bringing it in) or a "better" 3rd
party part if I can find one. Not there yet.

Old February 17th 12, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 02/16/2012 07:25 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-02-16 09:57 , jim beam wrote:
>> On 02/16/2012 06:41 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> I just want to be sure that the reason the prior battery failed in less
>>> than 1 year is not due to my alternator/VR output.

>> as you should. batteries fail from over-voltage long before bulbs blow.
>> in fact, bulbs are one of the last things to go. definitely make sure
>> your regulator is within spec - you don't say who manufactured your
>> alternator, but when denso regulators fail, over-voltage is one of their
>> commonest modes.

> It's the original alternator. Offhand I haven't dived into the car to
> see who made it.

check before you consider whether to repair or replace. if it's denso,
repair is viable. if not, then just replace the whole unit. too many
special tools required and too much difficulty getting parts for
non-denso units.

>>> Your comments on OE v. aftermarket well noted.
>>>

>> tegger's a little over-dramatic on this. denso don't make regulators -
>> they're sourced from a number of different suppliers, then used or
>> re-sold by denso. same with bearings, etc. bottom line, if the
>> components used are good, there's no reason after-market is any worse
>> than o.e. the qualification to that statement however is that people
>> buying after-market don't want to pay o.e. prices, so it's a loaded
>> gamble that they're going to get lower quality.

> If I need a new alternator (doesn't look that way now) I'll either get
> it at Honda (probably in NY state - everything is cheaper there than at
> Honda Canada even after paying taxes bringing it in) or a "better" 3rd
> party part if I can find one. Not there yet.

last one i bought was from amazon of all places. genuine oem denso,
same price as cheapo reconditioned from my flaps.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old February 24th 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Browne

Default Alternator regulator voltage / 2003 Accord, 4 cyl. / resolved

On 2012-02-15 13:55 , Alan Browne wrote:
> Honda Accord, 2003, 4 cyl.
>
> Last winter I bought a new battery and installed it. Worked fine.
>
> This winter from about New Years, if I didn't start the car within a 2
> day period the battery was dead (a couple crank turns at best).
>
> After 2 days the voltage would be under 12 volts. Should stay at about
> 12.6 or a little more when not in use. So I'd either jump it or if I had
> time I'd charge it up with a charger at low rate.
>
> I measured the key-out current as 45 mA. That wasn't draining it.
>
> I brought the battery in the house and charged it slowly. Once charged,
> it would discharge (open circuit) from 12.9 to 12.2 V in about 5 hours.
>
> I took the battery back and they tested it and gave me a new one on
> warranty. (NAPA (Cdn arm of UAP)).
>
> Brought it home, installed it in the car. Everything seems fine.
>
> However, I checked the charging voltage at idle and was surprised that
> it was 14.6V. I would have expected it to be 14.2 - 14.4 V. Above 14.4 V
> I'd expect electrolyzing out H2 and O2.
>
> Is 14.6V normal charging V in a Honda Accord (2003, 4 cyl)?

Well finally checked the charge voltage after the engine had warmed up
and it was 14.35 or so.

And revving the engine (warm) to 2000 - 2500 also had the voltage below
14.4.

So looks like the battery was the culprit. We'll see how the
"replacement" does over the next few years.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 24th 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Alan Browne > wrote in
:

> Well finally checked the charge voltage after the engine had warmed up
> and it was 14.35 or so.
>
> And revving the engine (warm) to 2000 - 2500 also had the voltage below
> 14.4.
>
> So looks like the battery was the culprit. We'll see how the
> "replacement" does over the next few years.

Thanks for the update.

--
Tegger
Old February 24th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 12:13 , Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-02-15 13:55 , Alan Browne wrote:
>> Honda Accord, 2003, 4 cyl.
>>
>> Last winter I bought a new battery and installed it. Worked fine.
>>
>> This winter from about New Years, if I didn't start the car within a 2
>> day period the battery was dead (a couple crank turns at best).
>>
>> After 2 days the voltage would be under 12 volts. Should stay at about
>> 12.6 or a little more when not in use. So I'd either jump it or if I had
>> time I'd charge it up with a charger at low rate.
>>
>> I measured the key-out current as 45 mA. That wasn't draining it.
>>
>> I brought the battery in the house and charged it slowly. Once charged,
>> it would discharge (open circuit) from 12.9 to 12.2 V in about 5 hours.
>>
>> I took the battery back and they tested it and gave me a new one on
>> warranty. (NAPA (Cdn arm of UAP)).
>>
>> Brought it home, installed it in the car. Everything seems fine.
>>
>> However, I checked the charging voltage at idle and was surprised that
>> it was 14.6V. I would have expected it to be 14.2 - 14.4 V. Above 14.4 V
>> I'd expect electrolyzing out H2 and O2.
>>
>> Is 14.6V normal charging V in a Honda Accord (2003, 4 cyl)?

> Well finally checked the charge voltage after the engine had warmed up
> and it was 14.35 or so.

CORRECTION
13.85 or so. I can't explain why I entered badly above.

Old February 24th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 14:13 , Tegger wrote:
> Alan > wrote in
> :
>

>> Well finally checked the charge voltage after the engine had warmed up
>> and it was 14.35 or so.

CORRECTION
13.85 or so. I can't explain why I entered badly above.

>> And revving the engine (warm) to 2000 - 2500 also had the voltage below
>> 14.4.
>>
>> So looks like the battery was the culprit. We'll see how the
>> "replacement" does over the next few years.
>>

> Thanks for the update.

Welcome - note the correction.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.