Should jaywalking be legalized?

Old January 7th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway criminals

Default Should jaywalking be legalized?

it's far safer than crossing at intersections where you are forced to
assume the vehicles will stop. Esp dangerous when roads are icy and
the drivers underestimate stopping distance.
Old January 7th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
john whine

On Jan 6, 8:57*pm, Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway
criminals > wrote:
> *it's far safer than crossing at intersections where you are forced to
> assume the vehicles will stop. Esp dangerous *when roads are icy and
> the drivers underestimate stopping distance.

there's already a system in place in some countries.
in london, fi, instead of cooling yer heels on the kerb, bored and
annoyed,
you stroll down to the middle of the block amd cross at a marked
crosswalk
guarded by a blinking yellow light where cars are supposed to stop (if
there are pedestrians).
watch out for taxis who will come quite close to hitting you if they
don't like yer looks.
Old January 7th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Sir Ray

On Jan 6, 11:34*pm, john whine > wrote:
> On Jan 6, 8:57*pm, Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway
>
> criminals > wrote:
> > *it's far safer than crossing at intersections where you are forced to
> > assume the vehicles will stop. Esp dangerous *when roads are icy and
> > the drivers underestimate stopping distance.

> there's already a system in place in some countries.
> in london, fi, instead of cooling yer heels on the kerb, bored and
> annoyed,
> you stroll down to the middle of the block amd cross at a marked
> crosswalk
> guarded by a blinking yellow light where cars are supposed to stop (if
> there are pedestrians).
> watch out for taxis who will come quite close to hitting you if they
> don't like yer looks.

Sounds like you are describing Zebra Crossings (in the UK - maybe
they're Pelican Crossings or something now). Those are legal
crosswalks (crossing points - they can certainly be mid-block, or
maybe there's not really a block if they are in a small village).
That's not jaywalking - which I believe is defined as crossing
outsidef of defined crosswalks (like ambling out between 2 parked cars
to cross the street), or crossing against a traffic control device
which indicates that pedestrians should not cross.

"Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway criminals"
I guess this is SADDAM's latest nym...
Old January 8th 11, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking

On Jan 7, 12:23*pm, Sir Ray > wrote:
> On Jan 6, 11:34*pm, john whine > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 6, 8:57*pm, Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway

> > criminals > wrote:
> > > *it's far safer than crossing at intersections where you are forced to
> > > assume the vehicles will stop. Esp dangerous *when roads are icy and
> > > the drivers underestimate stopping distance.

> > there's already a system in place in some countries.
> > in london, fi, instead of cooling yer heels on the kerb, bored and
> > annoyed,
> > you stroll down to the middle of the block amd cross at a marked
> > crosswalk
> > guarded by a blinking yellow light where cars are supposed to stop (if
> > there are pedestrians).
> > watch out for taxis who will come quite close to hitting you if they
> > don't like yer looks.

> Sounds like you are describing Zebra Crossings (in the UK - maybe
> they're Pelican Crossings or something now). *Those are legal
> crosswalks (crossing points - they can certainly be mid-block, or
> maybe there's not really a block if they are in a small village).
> That's not jaywalking - which I believe is defined as crossing
> outsidef of defined crosswalks (like ambling out between 2 parked cars
> to cross the street), or crossing against a traffic control device
> which indicates that pedestrians should not cross.
>
> "Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway criminals"
> I guess this is SADDAM's latest nym...-

Who is this SADDAM everyone on this board is so scared of? I know
nothing since i just joined here a week ago.