Ick Bin Mercedes Copying Ford ??

Old December 27th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
JG[_2_]

Default Ick Bin Mercedes Copying Ford ??

Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/

Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s55-vision.jpg
Old December 27th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
T.J. Higgins

In article >, JG wrote:
>Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/
>
>Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
>http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s55-vision.jpg

There was a Ford advertising campaign in the late '70s that
played on the resemblance of the Granada to some model of
Mercedes. "Can you tell the Granada from this X-thousand-
dollar Mercedes?" I can't recall the exact value of X, but
it was something like 12; a lot back then but laughable now.

--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old December 28th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:08:18 -0800 (PST), JG >
wrote:

>Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/
>
>Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
>http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s55-vision.jpg

The door handles are different. That said, one memory that's burned
into my brain is from even farther back, late sixties when the second
gen Corvair came out. One of the car mags had two reviews in it, one
for some high dollar European sports car, which they drooled all over,
and another about the new Corvair, which they panned for how it
looked. Funny thing was, the cars looked very similar, like the Probe
v Merc thing. Anyone who thinks car reviewers aren't biased hasn't
read enough car reviews.
Old December 28th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 12/27/2010 11:10 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:08:18 -0800 (PST), >
> wrote:
>
>> Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/
>>
>> Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
>> http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s55-vision.jpg

> The door handles are different. That said, one memory that's burned
> into my brain is from even farther back, late sixties when the second
> gen Corvair came out. One of the car mags had two reviews in it, one
> for some high dollar European sports car, which they drooled all over,
> and another about the new Corvair, which they panned for how it
> looked. Funny thing was, the cars looked very similar, like the Probe
> v Merc thing. Anyone who thinks car reviewers aren't biased hasn't
> read enough car reviews.

I always thought the late corvair was actually a very attractive car.
But then again my tastes are not always shared by the general public.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 28th 10, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-12-27, T.J. Higgins > wrote:
> In article >, JG wrote:
>>Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/
>>
>>Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
>>http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s55-vision.jpg

It's there a little bit, but I doubt the cars would look all that much
alike in person.

> There was a Ford advertising campaign in the late '70s that
> played on the resemblance of the Granada to some model of
> Mercedes. "Can you tell the Granada from this X-thousand-
> dollar Mercedes?" I can't recall the exact value of X, but
> it was something like 12; a lot back then but laughable now.

I've seen the silly granada ads... considering the granada was the last
car that traced directly back to the falcon (indroduced in 1959) makes
it all that more absurd.

Old December 30th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
JG[_2_]

On Dec 27, 3:22*pm, (T.J. Higgins)
wrote:
> In article >, JG *wrote:
> >Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/

> >Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
> >http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s/2010/12/merc...

> There was a Ford advertising campaign in the late '70s that
> played on the resemblance of the Granada to some model of
> Mercedes. *"Can you tell the Granada from this X-thousand-
> dollar Mercedes?" *I can't recall the exact value of X, but
> it was something like 12; a lot back then but laughable now.

But the Kia Soul, MSRP: $13,300 - $18,495 might have a chance vs. the
Mercedes GLK, $34,600 - $36,600

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Mercedes_B...in&style=Sport
Utility
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Kia-Soul-2011/photos/
Old December 31st 10, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:17:01 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>On 12/27/2010 11:10 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:08:18 -0800 (PST), >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Who knew that Ford was 20 years ahead in styling ?
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordprobe1991/1395252042/
>>>
>>> Dieter, nice homage to the Probe...
>>> http://www.mercedesbenzpic.com/merce...s55-vision.jpg

>> The door handles are different. That said, one memory that's burned
>> into my brain is from even farther back, late sixties when the second
>> gen Corvair came out. One of the car mags had two reviews in it, one
>> for some high dollar European sports car, which they drooled all over,
>> and another about the new Corvair, which they panned for how it
>> looked. Funny thing was, the cars looked very similar, like the Probe
>> v Merc thing. Anyone who thinks car reviewers aren't biased hasn't
>> read enough car reviews.

>I always thought the late corvair was actually a very attractive car.
>But then again my tastes are not always shared by the general public.
>
>nate

Exhibit 1 - Studebaker collection???