Need Help!

Old December 9th 09, 06:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
garygolden

Default Need Help!

Anyone out there have any good tips as to how to remove the brake power
boost on an '81? It appears that the 4 mounting studs come through the
firewall from the engine side. Almost impossible to get at short of
removing the dash. Don't want to do that.

Golden
'64 Coupe
'78 Silver Anniversary
'81 Coupe.

Old December 9th 09, 06:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

The mounting studs should not turn when you turn the nuts.
If they do... you'll need to get at the backs "somehow".
Good luck.

-W ('68)

Old December 11th 09, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
garygolden

So far I've not been able to even get a wrench on the nuts on the mounting
studs. I've removed or loosened just about everything short of removing the
entire dash. I can't believe that you have to do that just to change out
the power booster.

m...

Old December 11th 09, 08:58 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_4_]

I used one of those flex shaft sockets to get to the one's on my 93, it was
still difficult, but it worked.

Old December 11th 09, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"garygolden" > wrote in message
> So far I've not been able to even get a wrench on the nuts on the
> mounting studs. I've removed or loosened just about everything short
> of removing the entire dash. I can't believe that you have to do
> that just to change out the power booster.
>
> "Clams Canino" > wrote in message
> m...
>> The mounting studs should not turn when you turn the nuts.
>> If they do... you'll need to get at the backs "somehow".
>> Good luck.
>>
>> -W ('68)
>>
>> "garygolden" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone out there have any good tips as to how to remove the brake
>>> power
>>> boost on an '81? It appears that the 4 mounting studs come
>>> through the
>>> firewall from the engine side. Almost impossible to get at short
>>> of
>>> removing the dash. Don't want to do that.

That's just part of being a mechanic, some things are not easy. When
that car was built there were parts put on first and parts that were
put on last. Not many of the parts that fail can be changed standing
upright beside the vehicle. Remove the seat, steering column, and
anything else that makes it a bit easier as seldom is the repair the
removal of just the failed part.

Old December 11th 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> That's just part of being a mechanic, some things are not easy. When
> that car was built there were parts put on first and parts that were
> put on last.

Heh.... if he really wants to live... he outta try removing the trailing
arms, or the heater core.

-W